Small School Art Student - Advice for Where to Go Next?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Small School Art Student - Advice for Where to Go Next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Small School Art Student - Advice for Where to Go Next?

Hello all,

I'm currently an art student at a fairly small state school, though it's growing (and with it, so is the city). Their art department is growing too, and I would say that I'm pretty much at the top of my class when it comes to art. However, I'm not yet satisfied with my skills. I have another year and a half, at least, left after this semester. So, there's still plenty of time for improvement and advancement. I have a list of things I want to improve on, and have been discussing with my instructors.

However, I would like some advice if anyone's willing to give it - what is a good path forward? I've been looking at TAD courses, but I don't have a lot of moolah (in fact, I have a lot of student loans I'll be in repayment for). Even then, I'd probably only go part time, as I feel like I'd be rehashing a lot of things that I already know - I just need to keep working to advance.

What I'm currently in mind of, is looking for a future in Illustration. I don't mind terribly much if it takes me 10 years to get off the ground (though money is an issue). Should I just start and press forward on my own projects? Look at other classes? Go to graduate school?

I know that some artists have told me to just continue to work on things, on my own time, and begin to take my portfolio to any conventions I can get to. Also, to put myself out there on the web. I've considered starting up a webcomic project, mostly to force myself to take time to draw these ideas in my head, and work on composition and layout. It would be a big step, but interesting.

So, after this bit of rambling - what are some good types of projects to work on? What is a good way to improve? I feel like I need something I can really get into, instead of a lot of the studies I do.

Thank you, and I hope to hear your input!

Akgreene

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are interested in Graduate School, might I suggest looking into the Low Residency MFA Program in Illustration at the Hartford Art School. You are considered a full time student, and therefore eligible for loans, but you only spend 4 weeks out of the year away from work or home. This means you can keep a steady job while you earn your degree. The program is also extremely prestigious and is the only one of its kind: http://hartfordillustrationmfa.org

You can also find the program on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/HartfordillustrationMFA
    There are lots of student testimonials posted so you can get an idea of what others thought of the program.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.