Sketchbook: AD's sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: AD's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

AD's sketchbook

Hi all,

This is my first post so I hope I have followed the rules correctly.

I recently started studying animation at University. For the first year we are being taught a large variety of subjects because there are four strands to break into in the second year (Visual Effects, 2D animation, 3D animation or Games Art). What I have learnt so far is that I love concept art and have started this thread in the hopes to get some feedback and critiques from you guys to improve my art skills.

As you will see I have a long way to go. But all I know at the moment is that I can copy what is in front of me fairly well, I just can't produce the same standard of drawings from my head alone. So to hopefully change this I have started going to life drawing classes and practicing anatomy etc.

If any one who reads this has any tips or techniques for this kind of practice I would love to read them.

Below are 2x30 minute charcoal sketches from todays life drawing and 2 drawings that I did from photos on the internet. I have more but I thought this would be enough for the first post and hopefully it gives you a better understanding of my current abilities.

Name:  IMG_1100.gif
Views: 435
Size:  1.32 MB
    Name:  IMG_1101.gif
Views: 333
Size:  1.39 MB
    Name:  IMG_1102.gif
Views: 335
Size:  1.38 MB
    Name:  IMG_1103.gif
Views: 336
Size:  1.02 MB

I am going to try and post daily. Or at least a few times a week.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't spend too much time on those figure drawings, just pump out lots of organic, flowing gestures like these. another good example of fast figure drawing that focuses on movement but is a little more detailed here. for longer sessions try focusing on values (light and shadow) rather than line. see if you can avoid outlining the figure and simply use wide blocks of shade to learn form kinda like this.

Don't worry about being perfect or making pretty pieces of art when you make these, they are a method for you to train your skills, it's the dirty work

Welcome aboard and good luck on your journey, keep posting and CA will help you a lot If you challenge yourself to post daily and keep it up you will be amazed at your progress in a year's time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback Ian I will definitely keep that in mind for the next session. Tips like that are the reason I decided to start this thread I find them extremely helpful.

Here is some work I did today (apart from the Gandalf sketch).

This first set of sketches I did on the bus going to Uni. I tried to get the basic forms of the people I could see. Then tried drawing a couple of their heads. This was quite a challenge on the bumpy bus but I enjoyed it all the same.

Name:  IMG_1104.gif
Views: 255
Size:  600.6 KB

The next set I did during our extremely long lunch break. I need to come up with a character design for a Hettite Witch Prostitute. So these are basic body shape tests, head tests and body tests using shapes. I really struggle thinking of poses to draw. So I have found a few useful pictures that will give me some ideas for tomorrows class.

Name:  IMG_1105.gif
Views: 220
Size:  611.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1106.gif
Views: 221
Size:  630.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1107.gif
Views: 198
Size:  434.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1108.gif
Views: 200
Size:  506.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1109.gif
Views: 194
Size:  640.3 KB

These two sketches were done in right side brain drawing using a viewfinder.

Name:  IMG_1110.gif
Views: 200
Size:  753.0 KB

Then finally we have Gandalf. Didn't do this today, it was about a month ago. But thought I would upload it to get your criticisms. I did get lazy when it came to the hair.

Name:  IMG_1111.gif
Views: 206
Size:  536.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today I did some more work for the Hettite Witch prostitute character I have to design.

I started off with some possible poses for the character..

Name:  IMG_111.gif
Views: 185
Size:  721.0 KB
Views: 171
Size:  353.8 KB

Then in class I was pretty much told to think outside the box because these characters have not got to be realistic in any way. To help us out we did an exercise where we drew random shapes on a page, then the lecturer told us to turn those shapes into fish. Which is what these are...

Views: 167
Size:  350.2 KB

So After that I decided to be a bit more loose with my designs. I also wanted to have a go at creating some form of motion. So I sketched these...

Views: 174
Size:  654.9 KB

However I still thought I was being far too literal with the character design and decided to do something similar to the shape/fish task. But instead of doing pencil drawn shapes I slapped some paint on the pages to see if anything occurred...

Views: 184
Size:  604.6 KB
Views: 192
Size:  675.6 KB
Views: 167
Size:  669.4 KB

I was very surprised how useful it turned out to be because although they don't look like much I was able to find some unique character shapes in the splotches. I then went on to do the same thing for the shape of the head but unfortunately ran out of time and was only able to create a few...

Name:  IMG_112.gif
Views: 173
Size:  681.2 KB

Unfortunately that is all I have had time for today as it was my 22nd birthday I might not be able to get anything done tomorrow either as I need to concentrate on some 3D modelling and texturing work, before going to actual work. Let me know what you guys think of any of the work I am posting. I need as much advice as possible, so crit away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I promised myself I would post daily but I am already failing that because Uni work has taken over my life. So I haven't been able to produce anything new. However here are some older works I did a few months ago.

Name:  IMG_1121.gif
Views: 158
Size:  632.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1122.gif
Views: 159
Size:  667.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1123.gif
Views: 168
Size:  654.7 KB

They are a bit light for my liking. I think I should have pushed the value range quite a bit more. But when I did these I didn't know what value was. Until I watched Feng Zhus videos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for passing by and thanks for your kind words :-) keep up practicing. Have you heard of "Andrew Loomis" yet?
    Look for his books - they`re amazing.
    greetings
    klaus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaustrophil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice and encouragement Klaustrophil. I have heard of Loomis and have a couple of his books. I just haven't got round to practicing his stuff for a while. It's bad I know. I will make that my next session when I get some time.

In the meantime here are some 30 second sketches using posemaniacs.

Name:  IMG_1135.gif
Views: 143
Size:  660.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1136.gif
Views: 146
Size:  695.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1137.gif
Size:  723.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1138.gif
Views: 147
Size:  672.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1139.gif
Views: 151
Size:  653.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to add today. Sorry about the quality of some of the images, I didn't realise how bad the quality was.

Today I did some life drawing. But it was a class at Uni and he needed to gauge how good everyone in the class is. So it was just a simple exercise to draw one single outline. We then had to keep going back and changing it and fixing things that were wrong. We also had to start measuring, which we weren't allowed to do for the initial outline.

I also managed to do a little bit of Loomis. Although it is no where near the amount I was hoping to do in the morning. Then the rest are just perspective tests and composition tests for a street concept assignment we have.

Name:  IMG_1141.gif
Size:  862.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1142.gif
Views: 141
Size:  661.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1143.gif
Views: 138
Size:  669.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1144.gif
Views: 122
Size:  550.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1145.gif
Views: 125
Size:  509.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more images to upload today.

The first is some more Loomis practice. Really need to start producing a lot more of those, it's just hard to find the time at the moment.

Name:  IMG_1146.gif
Views: 135
Size:  780.5 KB

Next are some cartoon character designs that I did for a project we are currently doing at Uni.

Name:  IMG_1147.gif
Views: 139
Size:  725.8 KB

Then finally is my first speed/digital painting. I went to my first speed painting session today after Uni. Was really fun. I have only made 1 or 2 digital paintings in Photoshop before this, so I'm quite happy about how it turned out. But it could obviously use a lot of work. so any tips and advice are more than welcome.

Name:  speedpaintingWerewolf.gif
Views: 155
Size:  704.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just two images today. A bit of before and after. This is a street concept for a Uni assignment. It is supposed to be Pompeii before Vesuvius erupted. It has taken me 8 hours to go from one stage to the other. Which seems far too long. I am still getting to grips with digital painting though so I am going to use that as an excuse.

Name:  pompeii street.gif
Views: 114
Size:  243.2 KB
    Name:  pompeii.gif
Views: 108
Size:  268.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another couple of images, similar to the previous post.

Another small page of Loomis before lectures started.

Name:  IMG_1194.gif
Views: 117
Size:  648.3 KB

Added some colour to the Pompeii scene from the previous post. Would really appreciate feedback on this as the deadline is next Tuesday. So any advice is appreciated if it helps me improve.

Name:  300dpiA4cropped.gif
Views: 111
Size:  320.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I started working on a second street scene for the Uni assignment. This one is supposed to be Auckland, present day. Obviously it doesn't look like much right now. I have just been doing perspective and shadow work today.Name:  8f01fb659b7cfaaf2b61454255bcdeb5.png
Views: 103
Size:  338.2 KB

The shadows won't stay as blocks like that. I will adjust them eventually but I find it easier to see where they are supposed to be in this state.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another single image post today. This is a second street scene concept for the same assignment as the previous street scene. This one is set in Auckland. There isn't really anything to make it obvious that that's where it is I guess. Just looks like any old city with tall buildings.

This is due in on Tuesday so any quick adjustments/critiques/advice is much appreciated. Tomorrow I am adding the colour to it, as well as a few more shadows and a couple more trees.

Name:  AucklandGreyscale.png
Views: 96
Size:  538.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgot to pot this last Thursday. Another 3 hour life drawing session spent on one image. Our lecturer wanted us to keep going over and over the image until we got it right. Still had a way to go with this but I am fairly happy with the result. The reason he wanted us to keep editing it was because the model was at a tough angle, lots of foreshortening.

Name:  IMG_1233.gif
Views: 120
Size:  722.5 KB

A couple more designs for the character I am creating for an assignment.

Name:  IMG_1234.gif
Views: 99
Size:  384.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1235.gif
Views: 90
Size:  368.3 KB

Please let me know what you guys think of any of this stuff. Suggestions for the character design, improving my art skills.. anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another single drawing from todays life drawing. We started on tone today. So the details weren't really important.

Name:  IMG_1236.gif
Views: 88
Size:  712.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great sketchbook so far, that life drawing will help a ton trust me! really love the painted poses too, theyve got a nice quick loose feel to them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, especially the perspective studies. Keep it up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.