Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Digital drawing question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital drawing question

Hello everyone,

I've always wondered what concept art makers of Blizzard use as a digital drawing board.
    I am a beginner and I came across this one: http://www.omnifoto.nl/shop_images/F...oo_Pack_EN.jpg

Is this a good one, to make drawings like this:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/media/wa...ow-orcsvhumans

So is the board what I found a good one to make such drawings shown above?

Thanks in the advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Worry more about developing your drawing skills than dropping dimes on digital tools.

Your link did not work for me, but I saw bamboo in the address. Thats a very basic model.
    Think I will move this thread to the hardware section...but if you are a beginner you are better
    off picking a pencil and paper and learning the basics from there first.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The tool is not gonna make the drawing, and if you know how to draw like that already, it doesn't matter which tablet you use, as long as it's functional. Most Wacom tablets are fine, they do what they're supposed to, and that's all anyone needs.

(And by the way, they are called "tablets", not drawing boards.)

But don't expect that getting a tablet or fancy software will suddenly enhance your skills. It won't. Drawing will. If you can't draw like the example yet but want to, your best bet is practicing for a while with a pencil and paper and maybe some real paint (once you're good enough with pencil and paper.)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    The tool is not gonna make the drawing, and if you know how to draw like that already, it doesn't matter which tablet you use, as long as it's functional. Most Wacom tablets are fine, they do what they're supposed to, and that's all anyone needs.

(And by the way, they are called "tablets", not drawing boards.)

But don't expect that getting a tablet or fancy software will suddenly enhance your skills. It won't. Drawing will. If you can't draw like the example yet but want to, your best bet is practicing for a while with a pencil and paper and maybe some real paint (once you're good enough with pencil and paper.)

Thanks for the reply's. I can draw pretty good but I was wondering if these tablets can give the same effects as the Warcraft team.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyka View Post
    Thanks for the reply's. I can draw pretty good but I was wondering if these tablets can give the same effects as the Warcraft team.
    Again. No.

Their "effects" come from practical skill and knowledge of color theory combined with rudimentary software application. (Which is a bare minimum compared to their abilities)
    Please read the the replies again.

And until we see your work we have no idea what your drawing abilities amount to.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone,

I've always wondered what concept art makers of Blizzard use as a digital drawing board.
    I am a beginner and I came across this one: http://www.omnifoto.nl/shop_images/F...oo_Pack_EN.jpg
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

You just go buy the most expensive tablet and find out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post

I think I confused you guys.
    My questions is not about HOW GOOD I can draw but if such tablet is good enough to make drawings like below:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/...3be0558a_o.jpg

Or do they use expensive software to make such colors and stuff?
    Thats the thing I wish to know. Not about how good I can draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for confusing you guys but my questions isn't about how good I can draw but I need to know if you can make these kind of drawings: http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.c...r_by_pulyx.jpg

So again, is a wacom bamboo enough for this? Or do you need expensive software?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sorry but I think I'm formulating my questions in the wrong way. The thing I want to know is, for example this picture: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HNWNZ0yl-K...400/wowArt.jpg

Is Wacom Bamboo enough to make drawings like that? Or do you need EXPENSIVE software to creatine such picture?

Thats the thing I was wondering and not how good I can draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to buy a Cintiq 24 HD. It is the only tool capable of creating artwork
    like that. Nothing else can do it.

http://www.wacom.com/en/creative/pro...iq/cintiq-24hd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    You need to buy a Cintiq 24 HD. It is the only tool capable of creating artwork
    like that. Nothing else can do it.

http://www.wacom.com/en/creative/pro...iq/cintiq-24hd
    Thank you very much for the information and excuse me for the confusing qeustions.
    I am planning to buy a Bamboo you think there is big difference between Cintiq en Bamboo? I want to create comics. What would te best choice?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you are beginner in digital world this site will really help you, trust me:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

In a cintiq you draw on a screen, that will give more precision on what are you doing, It's the dream tablet for artists but it's really expensive and will not guarantee you that your work will be like bllizard artists, no matter what tool you use it will not make you great.
    So if I were you I would buy a Bamboo and if you have an extra money and want a more professional tablet buy an Intuos.
    And have fun!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinhe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The real issue is that people need to come to terms with things they want to hear, vs things they need to hear. Though given, an online forum is about reading.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The real issue is that people need to come to terms with things they want to hear, vs things they need to hear. Though given, an online forum is about reading.
    I'm sure you're right. i just don't know if sarcasm is the best approach.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaburchak View Post
    I'm sure you're right. i just don't know if sarcasm is the best approach.
    Sarcasm has nothing to do with it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I really liked the sarcasm in this thread! It made have a good laugh. x)
    Do you know the guy who made The Crow (the comic) James O'Barr, the guy barely had money! He used really cheap materials to make his comic, and well what a good comic it was! (if you buy the movie you can see him talking about this in the extras).

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinhe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sarcasm is fine as long as the person it's pointed at can tell it's sarcasm and knows to laugh along with it. I've been on too many message boards (not just art but other subjects) where a newbie will ask a question or is obviously trying to understand something and gets smart aleck eye-rolling in response. That may not have been the intent here but admonishing someone to go buy the most expensive tablet and find out kinda struck me that way. Maybe that's just me. Anyway, Kinhe's initial response just seemed the more constructive/encouraging approach and I appreciated that.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaburchak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah but I think it's too late, at this moment the Op is with a Citiq in his desk.
    Shame on you guys! x)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaburchak View Post
    Sarcasm is fine as long as the person it's pointed at can tell it's sarcasm and knows to laugh along with it. I've been on too many message boards (not just art but other subjects) where a newbie will ask a question or is obviously trying to understand something and gets smart aleck eye-rolling in response. That may not have been the intent here but admonishing someone to go buy the most expensive tablet and find out kinda struck me that way. Maybe that's just me. Anyway, Kinhe's initial response just seemed the more constructive/encouraging approach and I appreciated that.
    No, Queen gave the most appropriate response. You just want to ignore it and get upset at everyone else when the OP refuses to get a response he/she wants to hear.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I think the Op is already informed, nothing more to do here! What about you give me some critics & tips in my sketchbook? Hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinhe View Post
    Well I think the Op is already informed, nothing more to do here! What about you give me some critics & tips in my sketchbook? Hehe.
    Hey guys I am really sorry if I asked stupid questions and made
    you guys angry. It's just that I like to draw a lot. It's a very nice hobby. Just to escape
    from the reality and trying to create your own work.

Kinhe thanks for your post and also the others!
    I still haven't bought anything but thinking of getting a bamboo fun?
    Cintiq I really don't need. I like to make comics and stuff, that's the reason why I asked if the Bamboo Fun is good enough :-)

Sorry again for the confusing posts!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A Bamboo is more than enough but I would personally recommend, if possible, to aim for a medium sized version rather than a small sized one. It's simply more versatile and has a better value for the price over time.

The Wacom line up often changes also depending on your country, but you have to look at the specifications and choose the version with an active area size of 8.5" x 5.4" or similar values. Ones with an active area size of around 5.8" x 3.6" are the small versions.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to s12a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Boyka. I'm a newbie to digital art myself, so I'm always a little leery of offering advice to anyone, but I'll give it a shot. Wacom seems to be the standard for graphics tablets but there are some other brands you might consider, depending on availability and your location, that might be a better bargain. For example, Monoprice models get pretty good reviews for the price; here are some links that might help you...

http://frenden.com/the-little-monopr...et-that-could/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=komd1bHqPag
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/2009...-monoprice.htm

I bought a Bamboo Capture myself but if I'd known about these back then, I might have given them a try instead. Of course, most of your capabilities will depend on what software you're using, whether it's Photoshop or GIMP, Sketchbook Pro, ArtRage, etc. But whichever tablet you buy will make using those programs much easier than a mouse, that's for sure, and much more like normal sketching/drawing.

Good luck with your artwork!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    S12a made a really good point that I forgot to tell, my first tablet was a small one so I couldn't make really good lines cause I was always drawing with my fist and not with my whole arm, a medium size tablet will solve the problem!
    If you have another questions don't hesitate and ask us! We are here to help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinhe View Post
    S12a made a really good point that I forgot to tell, my first tablet was a small one so I couldn't make really good lines cause I was always drawing with my fist and not with my whole arm, a medium size tablet will solve the problem!
    If you have another questions don't hesitate and ask us! We are here to help!
    Oh thank you very much for the friendly help!
    At the moment I am wondering if should get one or just use pen and paper.
    Are they really worth getting it?
    The things what I want to do is create labels, making Warcraft look a like comics etc.
    So I am kind of thinking the whole day of its worth getting :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't speak for you but personally, since I sit much time in front of my pc, a tablet allows me to draw more than I normally would if I only were able to use pen&paper. The undo function alone (found in most drawing programs) saves me so much time (and paper!). Plus there's no mess around, no supplies to periodically buy, easy and quick access to visual reference material (Google, etc). To me it's been a 100% worthy investment.

Keep in mind that it's a different experience than traditional media, though. You will need a few weeks of time to get accustomed to the different hand-eye coordination needed (you're watching a cursor on your monitor instead of the pen tip), the different weight of the pen compared to a pencil, and that the tablet surface is more slippery than paper. The ideal thing would be trying/borrowing one before buying.

By the way, very important, if you ever buy or try one remember enabling the "force proportion" option in the tablet configuration screen. That will keep the effective active area proportional to your screen's aspect ratio. If you don't, and happen to have a square-ish monitor (5:4 or 4:3, etc), drawing a perfect circle on the tablet will result on ovals on your screen. This is not an immediately apparent thing and puts off many people who might end up hating pen tablets for the wrong reasons, without being aware that they can solve some of their problems with them.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s12a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well in my opinion a tablet is going to motivate you to draw and paint even more!
    It was what happen to me when I first bought my tablet, but it was something that I always dreamed about when I was younger, so I had to bought it no matter what.
    A tablet will take you to the digital world, will make you learn awesome stuff and in some point will make you valorize even more the traditional art.
    You can paint without worrying if you are wasting to much ink or paper, I think it's a good tool!
    But if you have some lack in your traditional art the tablet can be a bit of a disappointment in the beginning.

Only one advice:
    Never but never leave the traditional art, digital is great but the foundations are in the traditional art.

And guys if you think my advice it's kinda bad in some point say something! I only can talk about my experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, long frustrating rant with what is going on here.

A new tool will give you a "boost" for motivation. Just like any shiny new present to yourself. However, in the long run you will need to realize you want to draw. If it was about a Tablet giving you that motivation than what happened to all the artists before the computer and internet were invented? The internet gives people more networking which can help, but ultimately it is the person who wants to draw.

I did not have my own computer for years and I still wanted to draw when I had the time. Having an intuos helps because of how I work but that doesn't mean "no intuos??? well f drawing!". - considering I had to use a mouse with the opposite hand I draw with years prior to owning a tablet.

I may like gadgets give reviews and computer advice, however, what it all comes down to is a willingness to draw. I still draw mostly on paper. I don't give a crap about having an "undo" button. I find it more of a waste of time to make excuses on starting over and not finishing a piece. Is undo helpful? Well YES. But it can also be a crutch. 90% of the time, I make a mistake I paint over it or correct it.

So you'll excuse people for being utterly frustrated when a new person comes in and wants to know if a certain tool will make them as fantastic as some artist they admire. If they have all the software to paint like their hero. Then we get the White knights coming in and poo pooing because people are simply asking the person to show their work to get a better understanding of drawing. Not only that without seeing how this person is even starting, why tell them to buy a tablet in the first place? Because it might motivate?

First post was "I'm a beginner" next was "I can draw good" WELL SHOW US.
    "No I didn't phrase the question right"

No, show us some work, let us help you by understanding where you're at. I'm not going and printing your works because you're a beginner and posting it to 10,000 friends to mock you. We all were beginners at some point. This is a big problem with trying to help someone out. It's one thing if you want to look around, absorb information and try to figure things out, but if you want us to help you answer your questions please start showing what work you're doing so it can help a bit in giving you more advice.

So it doesn't even mean that a beginner can't have a tablet, but I'm not just gonna sit there and give an answer to go this site and watch videos ...then not think of the consequences of just having kids go over and pirate photoshop if they don't even know how to start drawing in the first place.

PS sitting in front of your PC all day isn't going to help you draw when you need to go to locations and actually start observing people, places and things - and not internet all the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for the helpful stuff you posted here.
    And again excuse me for being not clear in the first time, its due of my English that I cannot make my point clear.

My question wasn't really about if a tablet will make you draw better, but my question was more like: What are the options with such a tablet and is it worth buying it?

So now you know this, lets take the confusing parts away. And thank you for the information and your time!
    I know enough and this thread can be closed :-)
    Thanks again everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei
    PS sitting in front of your PC all day isn't going to help you draw when you need to go to locations and actually start observing people, places and things - and not internet all the time.
    What to say? Your 6450+ posts show that you have more free time than I do.

PS not mentioning by name the user you're clearly referring about doesn't make your unwarranted picking more polite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1