Art: New Here, Looking For some feedback.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Here, Looking For some feedback.

Hi everyone,
    I am new here, so I will start with a short introduction. I am a Junior at Drake University in Des Moines, IA and I am a graphic design major. Before college, I had never really had much experience in drawing. However, I have always loved concept art, whether it was for games or movies, but have never really considered giving it a shot. Since I have had the opportunity to give it a try, I have found that I have a huge passion for it, and am seriously considering switching my major to a BFA drawing in order to get more studio time, because I really can't get enough of it, and I want to improve my drawing skills. I was looking for some feedback in general on the below character concepts (proportions, anatomy, color ect.). I realize that in order for them to actually be useful I would have to draw the characters from several different views, but I wan't to nail the front view before doing the others. Unfortunately, I only have these two so far, as they are my first attempts. I do not plan on specializing on character or environmental concepts, as I want to be well rounded. I will post an environment once I have one done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the wall of text!

Thanks!
    Name:  Tree Goblin Concept web.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  254.9 KB
    Name:  giant concept web.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  426.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learn perspective drawing of 3d simple shapes, do a lot of exercise with them and you should improve a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice. I will give those exercises a try. I'll update when I have some of the simple shapes and some more character and possibly an environmental done. Anymore feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should do a lot of studies from life, youll improve a lot also, read some anatomy books so you get more comfortable drawing and painting creatures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should probably focus on doing 3/4 views instead of frontal. It will help you think about things as 3d objects instead of flat projections. And practice a lot! You will get better if you practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I have actually ordered an anatomy book and am looking at getting another one that is more in-depth too as far as being scientifically correct. I have found in trying to set aside time to do the studies that Hitsu had suggested that I really don't have time to do them right now, with trying to meet deadlines for all of my classes and working, but I am preparing a bunch of stuff for winter break. So, over winter break I plan on just doing exercises and studies all break as much as I can, and then next semester picking back up with actual character and environment design. Also next semester my schedule will be more aimed towards studio time, so I should have enough time to continue regular studies and exercises while still being able to meet class deadlines. Also, good idea on the 3/4 I will give that a shot. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.