ChOW#303 :: Spirit of Winter - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Here is my work so far, thanks for watching!

"Winter whitens the hard path,
    Your days are prey to the mean,
    The northern wind bites your sweet hand,
    And hate blows on your joy"

V.Hugo, It is Cold

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Panshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP #3

More progress on my creepy lady....

crits:

Bing! amazing. Which one did you end up choosing? My fav is the one of the right.

yongs - you're so good I have to hate you (jk). What brush did you use for the rough brushstrokes on the ground? How long did you take to get to this point? I am working on making myself more efficient and I would appreciate any tips you have.

Harmageddon - ncie creepy vibe, seems very close to the Grim Reaper though

loengrin - so awesome! Can't wait to see it in color

Dayle - Very cool! might just crop closer but im struggling for something to critique.

TSC- I'm liking it (so similar to mine with the central composition, lady, and colors!). Would you ever consider turning it upside-down and cropping it closer. I think that would be so cool to have the reflection be on top.

Lege1 - Looks cool, the only thing I would suggest is to maybe extend the composition out more to the right, he's looking a bit cramped.
    G@m - Love the saturated colors

alexson- yours is one of my favorites, the only thing that surprised me was the color scheme. It seems more fall than winter. I realize you may be insinuating that because he welcomes the winter but i think that point needs more pushing, maybe add some frost of some snow over the plants to show winter coming, with some more blue light thrown in.

Ikuru- love the mood board. Always thought I was the only one that looked up a million pictures My favorite design is the first one (far left)

Aonegamer- I love that she is on a reindeer (although something less graceful might offer some interesting contrast to her beauty- such as a moose or a caribou). Here are a few things I noticed to think about...her hand gestures (what are the saying?), the fact that she is looking away from the viewer (and not engaging), and the way that her body is interacting with the deer (it's more like shes floating in the middle of the deer instead of sitting ontop-the legs should wrap out and around the deers torso instead of straight down). Try a loose paintover of a few reference sketches to get the hang of it.

dforman- your piece really stood out to my in it's originality. It is much more abstract and spiritual than other entries. The only thing is the water lilies (at least that's what I think they are) are more iconic of spring than winter. I really like the way your piece stands out though.

DNVN- you really explored a lotta different concepts, which is great.

if I didnt crit yours, sorry! did this kinda fast but I really look forward to seeing everyone's piece develop.
    Please feel free to critique my piece, I'd welcome it.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CassandreBolan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @DNVN
    Second from right bottom row. Is my favorite
    @dforman
    Interesting take on the subject. mystic and beautiful
    @Aonegamer
    Its a nice scene but I think you can push the anatomy more. Look at some ref pics.
    Perhaps have the mountain top just behind her in the blue color to bring out her silluet
    @ikuru
    Very nice charter. I like animal connection in his antellars and face. I got Very inspired from your posts. Couldt resist do same same character
    @CasssandreBolan
    Nice graphical shapes.
    @Harmageddon
    A bit scary spirit of the winter. I mean that in a positive way.
    @Axelson
    Very nice. I like it all over. Shapes, character, colors ,story
    @panama66
    Clean silhouette I think you can define the light source a bit more and work more on the forms of the anatomy and folds.
    @AlexLH
    Looks nice. I think you can have some dark areas just behind his head to make it stand out even more. Maybe give him some winter attributes
    @Panish
    Realy creapy. You rendered the look of a dead and frozen body very well.
    @Pyramid
    Third top is my favorite.
    @G@m
    Nice pose and her attitude.
    @panama66
    I like the idea with the arm of frost.
    @Lege1
    I like the way you working wit colors. perhaps have the hand in the most bright and saturated colors to bring it forward even more.
    @TSC
    I like the scene and colors. Perhaps have the trees a bit less black to get them further away.
    @Dayle
    Nice character for the spirit of the winter.
    @Ioengrin
    Good pose and gesture.Maybe ad more winter attributes.
    @Masked And Dangerus
    makes me think of some eskimospirit keep on render it out.
    @yongs
    Very promising. It says spirit of winter Very well.
    Bing!
    @Good start.Keep on render it out.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmegeddon:

Totally understand on the classical approach of my image and thank you much. I am glad the arm and hand are looking better
    although the arm is still wonky in perspective. I don't have a reference for the arm positioning so I am pretty much where
    I am at so far with it now. The hand I do have a reference for and that seems to be going pretty good. I agree with what you
    are saying about bringing the color in the sky down more, I feel like a less saturated gray would definitely make the figure
    in the foreground pop out more. Thank you on that little note and I look forward to making updates indeed.

As for your piece I feel that it is looking really good and I like the grim reaper esq kinda vibe it's sending off visually.
    I personally think it would be cool if your character had more anatomy like on that left arm, and since you are featuring a
    back ground in your image I would recommend dividing it up with the three grounding compositional elements, foreground,
    middle ground, and back ground; all in colored order ranging in darker the more foreground and less saturated as you move
    back into the image. Also make sure to ground that character more as his coat bottom does not seem to interact well with
    that snow covered ground. All in all, looking real good though and thanks again for your crits =)

Here is a great link that my good friend Jeff Dekal sent over to me:
    http://www.muddycolors.blogspot.com/...humbnails.html

Cassandre Bolan:

I really like how you are using your reference so far and the overall piece is looking good. I would recommend using more
    cool colors for that winter feel, instead of the red; red seems to associate much with autumn and fire. Looking good though
    I love the characters cold skin tones, frosty frosty =)

Also I think you are right about extending the image out to the right more, I agree that the character of this image is looking pretty cramped,
    I am supposed to have a winter spirit here not a contortionist,lol. Thank you kindly for the valuable suggestion.

Ikuro: The values are coming together nicely, just keep moving forward with it while paying close attention to your original
    thumnail and you should be able to hold that energy the thumbnail gives off. I would also recommend some type of implied back ground
    even if it is something vignetted.

Aonegamer: Looking good but watch out for those bright colors in the back ground, as things recede into the back ground they
    become less saturated.Consider using atmospheric perspective in the piece as well to help bring the back ground together as a whole with the image.

Dforman: I like the abstract take on your piece. Looking really cool in it's own way.

DNVN: I like the second on to the right, top row. Make sure to pay attention to your values and try to find interesting contrast on the character with your
    lighting on your character using lights and darks.

AlexH: Welcome to CA and nice work so far on your piece. Consider working in grayscale longer to better set the stage for lighting and define your forms
    more on your character before going into color. Also, try to work the image as a whole instead of rendering one place of completion to another.Have fun and
    enjoy your experience here on CA and remember that we are all here in the position of forever being students and will never stop learning =)

Panshi: Very nice start and I like how you composed studies on those certain things before executing your official start; this seems to be a very vital stage
    in creating an image and something we should probably all take notes on here. I really like the zombie twist that you have put on this and I don't even like
    zombies that much, as I see them way to much in the tattoo industry that I earn my living in. Really liking the clean line drawing then being executed into
    a really great painting start. Very nice color selection and the wolf additions are just absolutely official man, I love wolves =) Great job. I'd personally
    like to see more cast shadows in the image like under the wolves and more dark contrast in the shadows of the characters anatomy, some texture on the
    ground would be cool too.Looking great though man.

JanJager: For starters, your credentials here on CA are SICK! BIG congrats on all your wins and great work you do indeed. I do agree with your suggestion to
    go forward with making the fore ground element the most saturated to bring that forward at an extreme and I also appreciate your compliment on how I use my
    colors; I am a tattoo artist and I have to sometimes just go in with the colors to make images work, especially on skin. Check out my Facebook to see what
    I am talking about:
    www.facebook.com/legend0187

As far as your image goes thus far, amazing work and I am really enjoying the whimsical feel of the piece. Great execution of colors and I am loving the
    characters costume. Very nice flow you have also going on in the piece with the motion of the beard, snow, and the pink things that appear to be flower
    pedals, all suggesting that cool transition of green times gone blue; the cold arctic winds arrive. My only suggestion is to consider jazzing up that walking
    stick/ staff more, I think it would give the character a more powerful feel of something that controls weather if his instrument is fit functionally for
    the occasion. Great work though man, your entry so far is indeed one of my favs

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ ikuru, CassandreBolan, JanJager,
    thank you for comments, good sirs!

Starting to add colour
    Name:  Winter-Spirit_1.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  186.0 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to loengrin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Probably wont get time to finish, but it's fun working on the topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work every one! This is what I got so far:

Name:  ChOW#303  Spirit of Winter_wip1.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  192.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by alexson View Post
    Just started painting on mine. Was thinking this santa looking dude is the one that welcomes the winter. I dunno.
    It's perfect!

Sketchbook
    Now crit the shit out of me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    worked a little more on my spirit thingy D: i think im happier with the overall value / saturation now. I'm having some trouble with the icy throne but i'll keep headbutting it till he fits the shape i want

Name:  chow303wippitiduh.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  301.3 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to G@m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments guys. Lots of progress since I last looked here, it's great to see everyones take.

Loengrin - really impressive colours and perspective.

Here is an update, I need to work up the colouring (and less airbrush) but don't think I'll make the finals.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lege1
    Really cool stuff you have on your webpage and on facebook.
    I totally agree with you about that stick. It should support the concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Almost Final> Red vs Blue

Harmageddon, thanks so much for the critique. My head was so full of satan, santa, and mistletoe that I never thought the red could be interpreted as not wintery to some other people. good point. I did a quick paint over to see what blue would be like, what is everyone's opinion? Can the red be wintery enough? Is the perverse christian iconography obvious enough? Does it work?

Thanks for all the feedback, its very useful to have outside views!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work so far. It's tough to get worked up about winter when the temps in CA stay in the 40s-50s (f). It's more like 'sprinter' around here.

I always get shit from my friends around the country when I complain about the weather.

"Massachusetts in Jan. Thats a f**kin' wicked winter. Call me when you have 6 ft of snow in your driveway and can't feel your face when you walk down the street, then we'll talk." - my buddy Justin

May still poke at this one. Though my patience, and 'Idea attention deficit disorder' (IADD) says otherwise.

Name:  Sprinter.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  528.0 KB

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bnoch For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun sketch, I'll see where this goes.

Name:  spirit of winter_WIP.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  274.9 KB

High 5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey...look! The forums are up and running again! PLUS I'm unemployed! Diablo 3 or ChoW...hmmm....

Name:  winter-spirit.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  66.1 KB

bnoch I look forward to your line of instructional DVD's.

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been painting on this all night long, super tired....thinking this is going to be it for this round...Name:  Chow#303_fini_96r.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  300.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bnoch, i absolutely love the texture in your piece. what type of brushes/settings did you do for that. I'm in an experimenting stage right now and struggling to effectively and swiftly capture the difference between rocks and leaves and snow, etc. I find myself fighting with my brushes a lot.

and I get the whole missing chilly winter when its hot out- im in Dubai. lol. it doesnt rain here, it sands! literally

p.s. I think her head may be slightly too large for her body proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This round shaped up to be a great one with alot of awesome entries! And thank you guys that commented on my picture and gave feedback I really appreciate it.
    I'm pretty much done with mine, wish I had some more time on it but oh well.

Name:  thumb4.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  281.7 KB

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright narrowed it down to two... Wips not sure which one to go with so i might try to do both and submit the best of the two in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finals thread goes up today guys! - Looking awesome so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DNVN I think the bottom wip has a much more interesting pose.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im too late to really put some work on this one, i just discovered this website, but will for sure put more effort for the next one, such nice work from everyone!

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  106.1 KB

Last edited by andartarius; October 22nd, 2012 at 08:11 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to andartarius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man thats A LOT of updates!
    Just wanna answer some qns posted to me the last time. sorry i replied so late.
    will post my updates soon.

@Lege1 Hey thx dude. I would say a slight brush economy, cause at times i feel that hard round itself can't produce some effects i like and i tend to find myself switching around quite a bit. But that's just me, maybe someone else might have better results just using hard round. And i'm still finding what i'm comfortable with so yea. hope this helped! And thats a nice update! i like how you finished it, lots of hours in that piece!

@CassandreBolan haha thx. I was using a "flatten" round brush with flow to pen pressure. i cant rmb how long it took. probably 4-6 hrs? Oh man, i cant really say much bout efficiency too, but during school, Feng Zhu always tells us to focus on quality first and speed will just come naturally, which i feel makes a lot of sense. Hope it helps!

@alexson, Bnoch you guys got some awesome stuff there!

Available for Freelance!
    Portfolio blog:yongs Art blog
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx for all the feedback guys.
    Went sort of back to my thumbnail... Still WIP.
    Love to hear what u think.

Name:  worldofwarcraft.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  251.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess i'm gonna just go with this one for now.
    Awesome Stuff people! This was a crazy round!

@ikuru hey cool design you got there. I think it'll be nice to use the lamp as your sole light source. Might help show form better and also adds a little drama to the piece.

Name:  CHoW#303_yongs.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  291.6 KB

Available for Freelance!
    Portfolio blog:yongs Art blog
    My Sketchbook

36. The Following User Says Thank You to yongs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JanJager & Leage, thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it a lot!

@CassandaBolan: Definitely prefer the blue myself, creates a unity within the image.

@Lege1: really like the textures you've got on the hand - photo textures? My one crit would be adding a 'crease line' where there top joint is in the thumb. It looks a bit un-thumby at the moment.

@DNVN: crouching antler pose for sure, has a lot more character in it.

@andartarius: love the composition, it would be nice to see it further developed

-

I somehow got it in my head the deadline was today. A lot I'd like to change with it, hopefully I can improve on them next challenge. Have to work on getting more contrast in my values.

Attachment 1613369

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is about final, unless I decide it's not and scrap everything and work all night.
    Name:  CHOW#303MaskedAndDangerous2.png
Views: 238
Size:  1.12 MB
    Crits?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Finally had some time to go CHOW again Not sure if I'll finish but at least I have done something Name:  winter_wip.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  213.4 KB

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And a little update. Time for bed. Might just finish this after all
    Name:  winter_wip_02.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  204.9 KB

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1