Comic book colorist? + Finding jobs
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp Comic book colorist? + Finding jobs

Currently I'm working a colorist doing 60 pages a month for $750 :| Quite obviously it's a horrible job where they care more about quantity than quality ...But whenever I try to go about finding a new colorist job I can't seem to find them. I've checked the Conceptart's job forum, Cghub's job forum....Even DeviantArt's forum. Unfortunately there are never many listing for comic colorist jobs there. So I was wondering where do you find jobs CA?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little known gem for ya : http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums...play.php?f=101

theyve got an unpaid/collaboration bit as well, but i figured you would want the paid bit!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to haljarrett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by haljarrett View Post
    little known gem for ya : http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums...play.php?f=101

theyve got an unpaid/collaboration bit as well, but i figured you would want the paid bit!
    How is this a "gem"? Most of the jobs over there are even worse paid than what the OP is already doing (if $750 is for ALL 60 pages... that's $12.50 per page - WTF)

Mr Thorns, if your work contract allows you to use your colored pages for self-promotion (it should!) post them in your portfolio, and in various offering-work forums. Advertise yourself as a comic colorist. You can also seek out comic publishers who employ colorists and send your work samples to them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maidith View Post
    How is this a "gem"? Most of the jobs over there are even worse paid than what the OP is already doing (if $750 is for ALL 60 pages... that's $12.50 per page - WTF)

Mr Thorns, if your work contract allows you to use your colored pages for self-promotion (it should!) post them in your portfolio, and in various offering-work forums. Advertise yourself as a comic colorist. You can also seek out comic publishers who employ colorists and send your work samples to them.
    sometimes good opportunities turn up, also feel free to weigh in with another site offering paid work yourself...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, unfortunately you are just going to have to sell yourself hard. Maidith
    is right. Put yourself out there, start collecting the submission mails of every
    single comic publisher/potential employer you can find, read their submission policies and guidelines
    and contact them. Expect rejection and no replies, but that's part of it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ComicCons.

Publishers are at ComicCons.

Find the ones that look at portfolios, or bring a business card with your website on it and intro yourself.

Befriend editors on Facebook, and make your presence known to them, so when you get the op to meet them at a Con, they connect face to FB and take it from there.

Networking is a must.

Last edited by OmenSpirits; October 20th, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are you aware that you are working at about 10% of the minimum fair price for coloring comics? That's beyond "horrible", that's virtually for free. You'd be better off investing the time and effort into padding up your portfolio and promoting yourself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    You'd be better off investing the time and effort into padding up your portfolio and promoting yourself.
    Not really, while it would nice to stop this job (Yes, I'm aware of how shitty it is.) It is still a job in the art field, and bills must be paid. If I were to just stop I would be left homeless with any means to provide for myself nor work on my portfolio. That's why I'm looking for a place where I can find other better jobs.

Also thank you all for your suggestions! I will definitely keep them all in mind and try them out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Thorns View Post
    Not really, while it would nice to stop this job (Yes, I'm aware of how shitty it is.) It is still a job in the art field, and bills must be paid. If I were to just stop I would be left homeless with any means to provide for myself nor work on my portfolio. That's why I'm looking for a place where I can find other better jobs.
    Well, you could support yourself with a job unrelated to art while you are building your portfolio. In your current situation you are just helping to make sure that there will be no money in the custom art market because of all the desperate guys who are willing to work for 10%. And establishing yourself as someone desperate enough to work for peanuts.

Be sure that you won't get any decent pay from this client ever, in any case. You've already sold yourself cheap to them, and if you try to ask for more, they'll likely dump you and find another desperate guy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you could support yourself with a job unrelated to art while you are building your portfolio. In your current situation you are just helping to make sure that there will be no money in the custom art market because of all the desperate guys who are willing to work for 10%. And establishing yourself as someone desperate enough to work for peanuts.

Be sure that you won't get any decent pay from this client ever, in any case. You've already sold yourself cheap to them, and if you try to ask for more, they'll likely dump you and find another desperate guy.

I'm pretty sure Mrthorns would take any job that would pay better if she could after reading her original post over. No one would work for that much just because when any other job would pay better. What you're asking for though is a lot harder than it sounds... hell getting a job at Mc Donalds nowadays is even kind of difficult.

Personally, I haven't been able to find a job in a good while and I'd take that 750$ job while looking for better jobs because its better than 0$/month.

To OP, sorry If I knew where to search I wouldn't be jobless

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Azu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unfortunately finding any job is much easier said than done. I have been looking obviously hence why I asking for places to look for other jobs. (That doesn't mean I'm only looking for jobs related to art.) That being said I wouldn't normally accept such a job as it does hurt the market but at the end of the day if that is my only job offer and I need money I'm going to take it.

Honestly rather than passing judgment on my choices and current job it would be much more useful to give suggestions on places to look seeing as leaving my paying job to look for another and just working on my portfolio doesn't pay the bills, and is a rather quick way to find myself in a worse position.

Also as I already said I'm looking for a new job, so there is no intention of asking for a rise nor any desire to work with them.

Last edited by Mr.Thorns; October 18th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Thorns View Post
    Currently I'm working a colorist doing 60 pages a month for $750 :| Quite obviously it's a horrible job where they care more about quantity than quality ...But whenever I try to go about finding a new colorist job I can't seem to find them. I've checked the Conceptart's job forum, Cghub's job forum....Even DeviantArt's forum. Unfortunately there are never many listing for comic colorist jobs there. So I was wondering where do you find jobs CA?
    i think marvel comics or cutting back to 20 pages a month for all there comics somthing to look into lol.

Members who have read this thread: 4