I think....I'm done? [UPDATED]
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I think....I'm done? [UPDATED]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think....I'm done? [UPDATED]

I'm trying not to nit pick over things. That purple blob became flowers after much deliberation. Is there anything that screams "fix me!"?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Elissiam; October 23rd, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's not a bad start. The problem right now is that even in the hands of someone with a lot more experience than you, a Wacom tablet is incredibly awkward for creating controlled linework. I can see what you're intending to do, but I'd recommend you take a detour and work with a tool that's less clumsy to use. If it were me at this point, I'd print the thing out and trace over it with a pencil to get the edges and contours tight (especially of the girl), then scan that back in and paint over it.

As always, just my two cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure my linework would look a lot smoother if I were to do it by traditional means and I will remember that next time. Digital just becomes such a habit. It's kind of annoying. Anyway, I worked on this a bit more and am posting it back up to see how I've done.

GAH! I didn't mean to leave the BG pink. I did that to better see what I'd missed and what elements still needed altering. Oh well, at least now you all can see what I meant by flowers being shirt color.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't see your last attempt, but I like her flowy hair here. I think the lines are cleaning up well. What's turning me off right now are the blob shape behind her and the way she cuts off at the waist. The maroon behind her would look more pleasing to the eye if you balanced it out--for example, the two long "points" sticking out don't seem to match the rest of the edges, and overall the shape feels unbalanced, like it's falling to the right. The way the figure cuts off at the bottom is also awkward. A solution for that could be having her body end where the maroon shape ends, so that she's "inside" of it, or having her fade or break apart.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I were making this, I'd stop at this and use this picture as a rough sketch showing what I want from the picture. Then I'd draw some preliminary studies of the figure, face, lighting etc. and then paint the actual final version.

It is often quicker and easier to do it that way, than trying to polish a quick first-attempt sketch.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quite like the girl, sort of like the hair, hate everything else. Is there a particular reason for that hideously designed brown shape that fights with everything else in the composition?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The purple blob is just an area I used the selection and fill tool on to get an idea what shape I wanted the BG. This is in case anyone wants a light colored shirt, then the girl won't get washed out. I'm gonna try a couple things with that blob and see what works. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm bumping this up to get some feedback on the changes I have made.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.