Frazetta inspired
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Frazetta inspired

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Frazetta inspired

I would Like overall critiques on how I can get better, Yes it is inspired by Frank Frazetta, but I am not trying to focus on how I can paint more like Frazetta, just on what I can do to improve this piece, and my art in general.
    Name:  00060c.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  51.6 KB

Sketchbook-Stryno's Thoughts
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"
    "I play Guitar because I like music, I draw because I have to."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    could you post the references you used for this, it may help in pointing out what you need to change and why.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not sure how to respond, I didn't use any heavy reference, I did use some references, but most of them extremely unrelated to the final work (Does it show that bad ? )
    Don't get me wrong if you are saying I need to use more references then that is a valid critique and will take that into account and rework using them. That does tell me that I am not at a point to work on my mental library alone, which is helpful advice.
    If you are asking to see a reference so you can see were I was going with this, or where I may have went wrong, then I cant provide that, because it simple doesn't exist .

"I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryno View Post
    I didn't use any heavy reference, I did use some references, but most of them extremely unrelated to the final work...Don't get me wrong if you are saying I need to use more references then that is a valid critique and will take that into account and rework using them. That does tell me that I am not at a point to work on my mental library alone, which is helpful advice.
    Yes. You always need to find the best photo reference you possibly can. Starting now and continuing through the rest of your career.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,371 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The arm holding the sword is all wrong and the angle of the sword is extremely boring and bent behind her head. The lighting is all over the place; choose where the main lighting is coming from and work from there. Put it top left with a second stronger sun, which is where most of it looks likes it's coming from, and give her some decent shadows if the arm and bust are anything to go by. There is no middle ground; you go from foreground to distant in an instant.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok yes, How did I miss the sword , I had It higher so you could see it, and it was much more interesting in the sketch, I definitely should raise it back over the head. I actually probably scrubbed that arm up when I dropped the tip down, still not sure why I lowered the tip, but any way. Yes I intended the sun to be top left, that is why it is a half moon, the "first Sun" is actually a moon, I thought that part was pretty clear, maybe I should drop out some of the color? I will re work it, thanks for the advice.

Here I added warmer sky tones were the light hits the mountains.

Name:  00060d.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  53.1 KB

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why is she stabbing herself in the knee? Of course, maybe that explains her awkward, uncomfortable pose.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not sure how to respond, I didn't use any heavy reference, I did use some references, but most of them extremely unrelated to the final work (Does it show that bad ? )
    Don't get me wrong if you are saying I need to use more references then that is a valid critique and will take that into account and rework using them. That does tell me that I am not at a point to work on my mental library alone, which is helpful advice.
    If you are asking to see a reference so you can see were I was going with this, or where I may have went wrong, then I cant provide that, because it simple doesn't exist .
    Yes its safe to say that no-one has enough of a mental library to hold that level of information in the forefront of thier brain! use as much reference as you can get your hands on and plan an image.
    Start with the story behind it,
    whats she doing?
    why is she doing it?
    most impostantly how do I convey that as an image?
    Is there a gesture that sells the intention or the action?

Once you have all that only then can you put pen to paper.
    Start with rough sketches and keep looking at them and asking yourself "does it tell the story?" if the answer is yes then carry on and do just a couple more that explore it in more detail, If the answer is "no" then bin that concept and try another.

once you know what you are going to be doing gather references that will help you tell the story in a convincing way, for example.

the sword stroke you are using is a left handed ovehead swing with a very long sword.
    My problem with it is that the left arm is normaly the weaker arm in most people so pose samples will be hard to find and you will have to pose for yourself and take pictures (But are you doing it right?). one solution would be to look at re-enactment photos and videos to see how they swing a sword.
    My next problem is the type of sword? yours is very long and seems to have an extra hand guard / hilt under her visible hand and if you put a ruler up against the image the sword from the point to the end of the hilt it is seemingly broken. Research on sword types would help, you can find a good looking one easy enough and more importantly get an idea of its weight. Th assessment of its weight is important as thats a big heavy lump of steel to be lashing about with! and that weight will have a direct impact on her physical size (to look convincing) her stance as she weilds it without falling down and her overall pose as she brings that weight to bear on the target.

Good reference will help you solve all that garbage!

sorry if that feels like a lecture but your question wasnt easy to answer with one or two lines! I hope it helps.

all the best.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightship69 View Post
    My next problem is the type of sword? yours is very long and seems to have an extra hand guard / hilt under her visible hand
    Yeah, wait a second, why is the crossguard of the sword under her hand? Is she holding it by the blade?
    Lightship has given you a lot of excellent advice here. Basically, you're trying to punch way over your weight class. Back up, start over, really think things through.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To ALL:As soon as I get time I am going to use all this great info. I pull 10-12 hrs a day through the week (then my kids), but on the weekend I should have some time to revisit it.

Liteship: I am sorry it wasn't a easy question, but think not your long answer was in vain. I am already seeing were this could go,... I mean other then the waste bin .

Elwell: that cross-guard wasn't actually a cross-guard it was the bottom of the Tang. but either way I am sure the next version, will be more clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Basically, you're trying to punch way over your weight class. Back up, start over, really think things through.
    Pushing beyond your skill, isn't that the point, I mean its not like I try projects like this on a regular bases, or that forget/ ignore my other studies.

Last edited by Stryno; October 18th, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha ha dont worry, I didnt mind the question! i was worried that the answer was too long and rambling.

Loads of people have helped me in this forum and I would be doing all of them a dis-service if I didnt try and put something back in and help others as I have been helped.So the bottom line is that I hope I pointed you in the right direction.

all the best with the image.

P.S. Its nice that for once I made a post and Mr Elwell isnt shouting at me, I do talk bollocks from time to time as well! what can I say its a hard habbit to break!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry My uncle past away of colon cancer and I got side tract, I made this in memory of him, Chet. Ill get back on the Frazetta soon.

Name:  00061c.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  21.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryno View Post
    Pushing beyond your skill, isn't that the point
    I think the point of "pushing yourself" is to improve when you're on the edge, when you start getting comfortable with studies and they are no longer challenging as they used to be. Then would be a good time to ramp up the difficulty or challenge an area you are weak at.
    That is not the same as starting off with something that is way beyond your skills in the first place, and for which you do not have the skills (yet) to actually challenge yourself- it just turns into lots of guessing around and frustration.
    (Imho)

Edit: Oh, my condolences.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im sorry for your loss. my condolences.

on the piece... i dont see the frazetta part at all... providing the image(s) that inspired you to do that would probably help to see what you want to accomplish.

right now (sounds harsher than its ment to be) its an example of pushing for how many tangents you can create within one piece. research that term, its imo one of the most important factors of successful pictures and its a good routine to recheck your own creations... alot of compositional flaws can be found that way.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My condolences.

References:
    This is the closest I could get in 8 tries, that stance feels unnatural and wonky - especially if I only have 10 seconds to strike that pose.
    If I stretch out my leg as far to the right as she does, my hips tilt and mess up the upper body .
    Name:  mop_action_ca.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  259.7 KB

References help, other people use them too:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...Your-Reference

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, you should go try a Frazetta study first (or a few) then come back to this to really understand what makes a Frazetta. I did one a ways back, first in pencil then painted over top in digital. I tried to choose colors by eye at first but when something wasnt looking right I would color pick. One signature thing about frazetta;s work that you are missing here is a meld of figure and ground...see example

So pick a few that you really like and try them out.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sprogis7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So many great thoughts from all of you, I really appreciate the time and effort you all put into helping me. I am going to keep at this, but before I do I am going to try Sprogis7's advice Starting with this piece-
    Name:  00060e.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  10.7 KB
    Ill post it bigger when I have done mine. Be back soon.

Members who have read this thread: 1