Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

The S chronicles [Updated DAILY(ish)]

THIS STUFF IS OLD AND AWFUL! GO TO THE LAST PAGES TO FIND MY MOST RECENT STUFF!

Hello guys and gals, my name is slash, and i want to be one of the cool kids. And to be a cool kid around here, you apparently need one of these dailies. Altough i am using the term "daily" in a very loose manner, since it will probably be a few days between updates. At best

C&C are welcome, and i hope you will tear my sketches apart so that i might rise from the ashes as an evolved artist.

Anticupid. Cupids evil twin.

Socrates - the thinking skeleton. Don`t ask.

They usually get messy. But thats the way, uhu uhu, i like it! No ref used since i`m training my "human-anatomy-from-memory" skill.

Another mess. I tend to get a bit carried away. Still no ref used, exept the lower right girl.

Yet another mess. No ref used.

Tear them apart!
    Last edited by Slash; June 17th, 2008 at 09:03 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

I kinda liked this guy, so i gave him some quick photoshop luvin`

FEATURING EVERYONES FAVORITE FILTER: TEH LENSFLARE!!!1one

Thanks
    Man, you got issuuuuuues. Thanks for sharing them with us. If realistic tonality is one of your goals, then I'd say you need to work on your light sources. Pick one. I've no idea how common this is, but, I'm right handed, and tend to have the light coming from the top left corner of my pictures (unless the piece demands something other than that).

Hear my mantra, it resounds throughout this forum.

'pick a lightsource'

'stick with it'

'do not deviate'

'become the light'

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I know i need to work on my light sources, but realistic tonality isnt my primary goal in these sketches. I`m mostly practising human anatomy and exploring a few creative blowouts, and when i put on some shadows its just to define a little form and shape. And i think my mind is subconsciously tuned to 100% self illumination.

As for the thing with right-handedness and top left light, when i DO apply lightning to my drawings, i always put it there too. In fact, it`s alot trickier for me to put the light anywhere else. It doesnt feel natural for some reason.

*advice taken, chanting the mantra.*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 469 Posts
    the thing is you "must" challange yourself, do NOT make another drawing with the shade coming from the left top corner.... push yourself from drawing stuff you never done before, and selfillumination doesnt exist in nature...sorry that im harsh but practise and push yourself to new boundries! it will only do you good !

keep on posting !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Originally posted by hurricane
    the thing is you "must" challange yourself, do NOT make another drawing with the shade coming from the left top corner.... push yourself
    yeah, alright Yoda. Whatever you say. Why spend time practicing something, if it feels counter-intuitive? I'm only suggesting the top left hand corner idea as a way to get a feel for lighting in general, not as a golden rule.

Thanks
    DUDE NICE WORK but try to take your ritalin before hand

-theubermind
    my sketchbook

if a mime was crushed by tree in the woods, would anyone care?

Thanks
    Theubermind: I quit taking my ritaline. It didn`t work the way it was supposed to. Actually i`ve quit taking ANY kind of amphetamine. It just doesn`t work AD/HD-power to the people!

Hurricane: I know i MUST challenge myself. But as i said, realistic lightning isnt my primary goal at the moment. Anatomy is.But i will (if i remember ) put the lightning somewhere else in my next "lightning piece". Perhaps somewhere in the extreme opposite corner. Bottom right or something.

-this is where I am supposed to post an update, but i am visiting my folks for the weekend, so i have no way of scanning my sketchbook. However, I AM drawing in it, so there will be a little dump monday..

Thanks
    like it a lot...but i cant see any one area where you need to get better...youre prettymuch the same level everywhere id say....

haha....I think our drawings are quite similar (not meant arrogantly)...look at my thread and tell me what you think! I just dont do so much on one page

looking forward to more, N
    Nikolai reiset noch immer, noch lange wird er reisen...doch ins Land der Vernunft findet er nimmer den Weg...

Criticizing Nikolais Crap

Thanks
    Thanks for the post bahamut. If you can`t find anything in particular does that mean that i have to improve EVERYTHING? :confused: dammit!

Er.. Are our drawings similar? I`ll let someone else be the judge of that.

More will come!

/

Thanks
    No, not an update. But i DO have something for you. While searching for my name on google just for phun, i stumbled over my old elfwood page. It was fun to see them ol`pics again, nostalgia overdose. it seems like it has been ages since i saw them last. Even tho its probably not more than a couple of years. I never got too involved in the elfwood community, wich by the way have redesigned their site. I kinda lost interest in them around the same time i stumbled upon this page. COINCIDENCE sayeth I!

Anyways, here it is, for those who are interested in how my style was back then..

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/a/.../andreash.html

Thanks
    Well well well... i seem to be the most frequent poster in my own sketchbook. How sad. Give me some goddamn support guys!

Ok, enough bs, on with the update! It`s rather large, since this weekend was kinda boring. Everyone was watching the european soccer CHIMPionship, and since i hate soccer, i was bored outta my skull.

No refs used anywhere, exept my own hands and my brother.

We start off with my bruddah watching soccer, a hilarious pose, wich i just had to draw. Dont mind the other scribbles. The bottom left one is "drawn" using a big bulky eraser on a scribbled area. bleh...

The next one started out with a tree. then i ventured onto the creation of a cute little demon-gargoyle-creature. Then i tried to make out the shapes of the head, worked fine until i started shadowing it. ugh! Had to draw a hellgrrrl to cheer me up. And of course some more shit that i don`t know why or how got there.

On this one i wanted to challenge myself, and use a ballpoint pen. I really dont like sketching with pens, cuz once you draw a line, you can`t undo it. Makes you think a bit more before you draw. I think it turned out ok.

I wanted to see if i still knew how to draw anime. (I was really into it when i was 16-17 years old.) As you can see, this attempt failed miserably. But i`m still gonna post the page, since I`m not gonna be one of those pricks that just post their best work.

Felt like creating some creatures. My brothers laughed for hours at the monkey-thing.

Practicing cartoonish faces.

Bored and uninspired. But i managed to force some lines down at the paper. (I rule!)

Inspiration returned later that day. Dunno what got into me. Demons, swords and chicks. A lethal combo.

I ate pizza, and suddenly felt like drawing a dragon. (You see the connection? Me neither.) I`m satisfied with the head, but i HATE the wings and background.

My oh my, sunday really WAS a productive day. Some cartoonish girls at the top of the evening. (or EARLY morning, wichever way you choose to see it.)

Todays dsg pic. I really dont like it. it`s retarded.

OK PEOPLE! Thats the whole dump. Now i wanna see some juicy Criticism. I have deliberately drawn some errors, 10 points per error to thoes who can spot them!

I MEAN IT! COMMENT AND CRITICIZE.(big word. sp?)

Thanks
    Come on people, dont post so many replies! I dont have time to read them all!!!

My band had a recording session today, no time to draw. but since i plan to keep this sketchbook as daily as possible, here`s one of them older ones..

TEH punished one

Thanks
    really like the womens anatomy! the dragons detail (the scales&shading) are also very nice! some arms on different drawings seem a bit long (on teh (<- !) swordsman especially), the legs on that one are definitely too short too! seem to have had a weak moment on that one...
    Last edited by bahamut; June 23rd, 2004 at 01:29 PM.
    Nikolai reiset noch immer, noch lange wird er reisen...doch ins Land der Vernunft findet er nimmer den Weg...

Criticizing Nikolais Crap

Thanks
    10 points to bahamut.

The swordsman is a half-demon, so he doesn`t have to abide the laws of human anatomy. (yeah, lame excuse, i know...) I tend to draw the arms a bit long. It`s a bad habit that remains from learning the rules of anatomy wrong. For a long period of time i used these wrong rules and kinda got stuck there. I am trying my best, but sometimes i slip.

Thanx for the reply. follow bahamuts example people! :chug:

(got too drunk to draw last night, so no update for you today. sorry.)

Thanks

Hangover diary

MAAAN!! I have just broken my own hangover record. 2 days and still going strong.. My hands are shaking, but i have managed to doodle a little. Don`t bother to crit these too much, since my condition is, well... you know how it is. BUT I WOULD very much like to recieve crits for my previous posts, since thats kinda why i share them with you guys.

18 beers and a bottle of vodka. No, im not fucking kidding!

Thanks
    you seem to have a lot of ideas, i would say that in order to make these ideas more successful you need to study anatomy. this will help solidify your forms. try various lighting situations, they can add depth and emotion. i would try to stay away from "anime attempts" it is ok if anime is an influence but there are enough anime artists out there. it is so simple to do, when you find yourself getting better you will be able to draw anime if you must/choose too. keep workin on the paintings, the only way to get better is to do it a lot. try working on you patience, i know i have had a real problem with spending enough time on certain ideas. go ahead and push a design is will help you build your patience for those longer sessions of drawing. hope that helps a little.
    meta
    "Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Thanx for the reply. You are right, i need to study anatomy, and i AM.. I am not really into anime anymore, i was just bored, and wanted to see if i still had it in me. (apparently not ) You are dead on when it comes to my patience. I can draw for hours continiously, just not on the same drawing! I get bored with drawings too fast. But to my defence, i HAVE improved, when i was 16 i had a five second attention span.

Thanx again for the input!

Thanks
    glad to hear you're studying anatomy. sometimes it's not the most fun thing, but when you hear someone like metalwinds say you can't do enough studies it makes you(me) think, cause homeboy can draw. yea, you've got some pretty imaginative ideas in here and in that head of yours. again, I feel that drawing from life and reference will help to improve the quality of your imagined creations (that's what I'm trying to do these days anyway). Some of my favorite drawings in here are from the page of gestures in your recent post that you didnt' seem to think too highly of. Funny, huh?
    I tend to be too dependent on lines to define form instead of value. You also seem to like line, w/ the strong outlines and such. Maybe more emphasis on value and less on line?
    Keep in mind, these are just my opinions. For me, the most important thing about drawing is to have fun. For most people it's probably more fun to increase their skill level, but I don't think it should be tedious or feel like work. Just keep at it if you enjoy doing it.

Thanks
    you have a twisted mind

Thanks
    You've got the right idea and that is to draw draw draw. You seem to have a lot of ideas floating around in your head, and that's good, but don't neglect to study the fundamentals too.

Thanks
    Thanx for the replies guys.

Elboy: You`re right. The important thing is to have phun and enjoy drawing.

Insane: Coming from you i`ll take that as a compliment. OR a hint to seek professional help.

Muttonhead: Why cant the fundamentals be as fun as everything else?

AND NOW, THE UPDATE!!!

I have been on vacation for a week now, and i have been too drunk, or too busy getting drunk to draw. But i have managed to doodle a little these last few days..

Started a new sketchbook, this one is a A5 Winsor & Newton cartridge sketch pad. (Like you guys care ) I also bought a mechanical pencil, a PILOT shaker 0.5 (Like you care, again) and that is what i have been using for the following sketches. Took a while to get used to.

Enjoy!

Thanks
    A little update for you guys.

I didn`t have time to scan all my sketches, but here are a few.

Now i wanna see some C&C!!

Paine and his teddybear will come for you if you don`t post a reply!

Thanks

boobies

After reading the vast amount of replies, I have finally found time to do another update. I havent gotten around to scan my real-life sketches yet, so these are all digital. Expect another update tomorrow. With more boobies.

Done from ref. exactly a thousand brush strokes.

Practicing light and shadow. (My enemies.) No ref.

My first painter(classic) painting EVER! Crap, but i felt like sharing anyways. square chalk and palette knife only.

My second painter painting EVER! square chalk only.

More boobies. tomorrow.

Thanks
    man nice tits !<the light source will help u with anatomy if your trying to learn the froms and masses .. but i think your doing ok jsut keep going )

Thanks
    Thanx for the reply dude.

I realized to my horror that i havent got any boobies for you today, even tho i promised. I`m sorry, I`ll draw some later today.

Done from ref. I had no eraser when drawing these two images, and that made me feel like... i was under water. without air. You get the idea.

An old dsg pic that never made it into dsg.

Latest dgs pic. Goofy, I know. I was tired.

Last, but not least, i want to share what you what happens when you draw while drunk, and let your friends borrow your sketchbook. Those names aren`t real...

Thanks

OOH! an update! tastes like chocolate!

Too hot to draw nowadays! Still, i have an update!

No ref used.

Still no ref used.

A character from a story I`m working on. No ref. (duh)

Would you believe me if i said no ref used? I`m not trying to copy the originals, just interpreting them. or whatever..

Not a single girl between 18 and 21 on the beach today. Just lotsa old women with their grandkids. Soooo i came up with this outta boredom. There is a message hidden in that pic for those who can find it.

enjoy!

Thanks
    The keeper of the lower halls is great. You should work on this one.

Good work on the flow of muscles and texture on some bodys. As far as I can see you have a knack for natural forms.
    Amurayi

Thanks
    thank you. I`ve been thinking about doing him (the keeper) in max, it would be so cool to animate him trying to keep balanced on his wheel.

Thanks
    you did those few with no erasers? DARN YOU AND YOUR SKILLS, but seriously its some great stuff,,, keep it up! even the ones that you said were "bad" or "screwed up on" i thought looks pretty good,,,,
    Ive done it before and ill do it again BWAHAHAHA!

Thanks
    I'm not sure if you have noticed it yourself, but it seems to me that you have progressed since your first post. It looks like you are sarting to play more with value, wich is good imo. Lines are 10x more difficult to nail correctly if you aren't familliar with the 3d shapes you are depicting. I like the last batch of ref. faces. Keep doing them and keep spending time on your values. Remember: you are not copying the placement of the light and dark spots, you are depicting the actual shapes. Always remember to ask the question 'WHY'!

Have fun
    Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Thanks
    he he
    good job you have going on here
    I really like you imagination
    as soon a you get a bit more
    control over you anatomy, you
    will get sky rocket good man

keep updating =)

Thanks

The new beat, the new beat, the new beat, the new beat.

Finally got my lazy ass back to my place and scanned my sketchbook. Haven`t been home for a while, so here comes a pretty large dump. Boobies included!

starting off with another mech attempt. Not really good at robots, but i try, cuz there are so much cool stuff around in that category.

here`s the result of being bored and staying in #conceptart on irc.

Clean lines for color practise.

Whatever

I heard a song in the background while sketching, and a funny image popped up in my head. Guess wich song!

Ass:

Been struggling with FFVII withdrawal lately, here`s the result. I know yuffie usually dont wear skirts, but in this case she does!

Wanna brush up on my max skills, this is a quick character concept for that purpose:

SAY SOMETHING!

//edit: i forgot to resize the last one. I am sorry, but i am not gonna change it. I`m a lazy fucker.
    Last edited by Slash; August 25th, 2004 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Your body anatomy is on the right track for
    improvent I think you need to work a bit more
    on your face features, drop the manga
    stylization for faces, and make some
    muscles and bones studies of the head.

In the imagination department you are doing fine
    no critics there, your concepts are real fun to wach
    just keep studing anatomy dude see ya

Thanks

Big-ass update!

Long time no post.

Starting off with the worst kind of drawing. The kind you hate but can`t just put down and let it go:

Dont like this one:

Yeah... whatever:

more satisfied with this one:

Faces:

I shouldn`t be allowed within 10 feet of watercolor:

Smudging.

BLEH!

Nipples.

Big guns

Ref used.

Hop hop.

Looking forward to TESIV-Oblivion, and i have started doing some conceptart that will be maxed in tiime..

Thats all folks!

Thanks
    Looking good, on this one i really
    like the small action posses, very dinamic
    very nice work, keep em coming!!!

sb14sept04_3.jpg

Thanks

dude get a life! a real one i mean.

u obviously have problems. BIG ones.
    [I]When i become rich. I'll give you a dollar.[/I]

Thanks
    Hmm.. And all these years i have believed i actually had a real life. Well, i guess you`re the better judge of that. As for the problems, yes i am LOADED with problems. In fact, i AM a problem to many.

Thank you, now shut up!

Thanks
    Dsg entry. Not the most likely force user, right?

Thanks

Practicing faces. No refs, but i think i`d better start using some.

Thanks
    slash--i dig dig DIG the text on your pages... I do this sometimes but always paint it out on the scan.

"IS LIKE LOOKING IN YuR BRAIN."

And boobies too! Great work, and more importantly, great improvement from start to finish--keep eating your spinach.

REGARDS,

the gugg

Thanks
    wow! what improvement! you seem to get better no matter how little people crit!!
    getting better in ALL areas, so just keep going and maybe ill have some USEFUL things to tell you.
    Maybe just one thing: youre normal anatomy is very comicy, youre domai sketches however are really realistic. You should try to USE some of the stuff you learn off ref, not just go back to them same old stuff once youre "on youre own"!!

cheers, odt

Thanks
    yeah great improvement here!!! i like your style on some of these pieces

im looking forward to that challenge buddy but i would like to discuss the topic a bit more..

ps- do u have aim or msn????
    Last edited by arghmisfit; October 1st, 2004 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 254 Posts
    cool stuff mate, love the profile head in this picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...b18aug04_2.jpg

i think you should take some time to study the actual features of the face seperatly.

Thanks
    Hey, man! the last page with faces looks damn good!
    Keep it up!

BTW: You shoulda been in Stockholm with us! I'll be expecting you next time we have a scandinavian CA-meet

d-C

Thanks
    all digital stuff today.. I need to learn photoshop better, since its so much faster and CLEANER than any traditional medium.

Gugg: mmmm! spinach!
    ODT: I don`t really need crits. cuz i read what crits other people get, then apply them to my work. Im a sponge soaking up all the great knowledge of this forum. (But i would still very much like for people to crit my shit.)
    Argh: you got it. Lets sharpen the blades and get it ON! (after td8 is done..)
    Davi: Will do. Thanks for the kind words.
    dCepT: Yeah man! i should have been there. But you know what its like to be a starving artist... I`ll be on the next one. I WILL! (did you guys have a good time btw?)

Starting off with one of those five brush strokes a day-projects.

I don`t sketch directly into photoshop very often. here`s an attempt:

Another attempt:

Here`s one i did for the t-shirt challenge, but i was all like... fuck it..

One of my dawgs, as i imagine he will look in 40 years.

Final fantasy x fanart WIP

Bleh. Don`t like this one:

And finally, my wip for the thunderdome 8 entry.

I would still very much like to recieve crits, since i am not that good at spotting my mistakes. please leave atleast a word each..

Thanks
    Here`s something from the past days. I have been battling alot on irc.

This is from an oc-session with calle, nousefraname and me. The girl is shitty. The dude is supposed to be Erik Bye, a norwegian actor/famous person that recently passed away.

I believe that this thread have become long enough to get to the second page. Doncha think?

Thanks

YARR! First update of 2005.

Has it really been 3 months since my last update? Fuck... Time flies. im getting old. Ah, well, anyways, I wanna get back into the habit of drawing something EVERY day, so i dont get rusty.

Here`s a photoshop quickie. 20 minutes. Misfits inspired.

Thanks
    I`ve been neglecting my sketchbook lately. In fact i dont think i`ve drawn traditionally since last year. Im beginning to understand the importance of drawing from reference, and i have used ref for all of these sketches. Some things still come from my imagination, i cant help it.

I feel that i have improved a bit, i`ve tried to pay more heed to what the pros and knowhows have said around these boards, and i think its paying off. I still wish people would crit my sketches directly tho, since thats the best way of telling whats wrong, instead of adapting what they say about other peoples work and applying it to mine.

So here they are, please leave a insightful comment or two..

My brother and i did a little challenge, 10 minute portraits of each other. here`s mine:
    Here`s my brothers piece. (he`s 6)

//edit: These are a bit higher-rez now, but now i see that the scans are horrible. well.. thats life.
    Last edited by Slash; February 2nd, 2005 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Ah! Studies! Yes! See, it's improving your work already! Try learning more about the structure of the figure. Do some bone studies and then figure out how the muscle lays over that. Think of it like your a sculptor. Just build up the drawings. Some of your anatomy and proportion on the stuff from your head is a bit iffy. This could really help you.

One thing I like about this thread is that it really showcases your imagination. You can't learn how to be creative. It's something you just have. Keep developing your skills, bro. You're gonna get exactly where you want to be!

Thanks
    really great sketchbook ! A shame no more people post in here !

I agree that you have improved (several times) since you started posting. I mostly like the stuff where you're pushing the values (light - dark).
    Don't care too much for your cartoony stuff, but I think it's because it has more mistakes than the others. Cartoony to me, is simplified, which makes every line must be a right line. Some of the later stuff seems a mix between realistic and cartoony ? I'd say you're pulling those off very nicely !

Post some more !!!

Thanks
    Well, what do we have here...
    I happened to stumble upon this thread by chance, and the further I progressed down the thread, the deeper my suspicions became, that you, Slash, were in fact someone I knew from real life. Then I noticed the signature in one of your sketches, and my suspicions faded and were replaced by certainty.
    Det var liksom noe kjent der hele tiden...

Kenneth fra klassen din på GK Formgiving på Kviltorp her, vet ikke om du husker meg. Sjekk ut "Charcoal Drawings"-tråden jeg har postet i Life drawing-forumet.
    Bra skisseblokk du har forresten, vurderer å starte en selv snart.

Thanks
    HaHA! Selvfølgelig husker jeg deg! Verden er jammen liten! Velkommen til conceptart.org!

Lets switch back to english so the paranoid conspiracy theorist admins dont come bashing down on us for speaking this communist spy language. I will check out your charchoal pieces, it should be fun to see how you have progressed since school.

You should definately start a sketchbook, i remember you had some insane pencil renderings back in school. People like that around here.

Again, welcome to conceptart, enjoy your stay!

Thanks

dude.........

your pictures,judging by the rest of 'em, really good ones, seem to have.....
    (dramatic pause)
    VANISHED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Doom
    "You can do whatever you want son, I couldn't possibly be anymore ashamed of you than I already am."

That what my father told my when I was ten and I told him I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Thanks
    Dude.. You bumped my thread from page 379 or something to tell me that?

Anyways, they seem to be back now.. Sometimes photobucket acts up on me..

Thanx for the heads up anyways!

//edit: Its been too damn long since i`ve updated this one. I should get off my ass and scan something.

Thanks

nice

I'm really enjoying your pencil renders of the female figure and face, awesome stuff. From the beginning towards the end I can see that your proportion has increased dramatically, keep posting, awesome work dude.

Thanks

Five Months!

Ladies and gents, its been almost five months since my last update. Partly because my scanner was stolen, but most of all because i've been exploring other things besides drawing. And i've slacked off quite a bit as well. Well, im back, and hopefully with a vengeance! Here's something from yesterday, 2 of my brothers, from photos.

Thanks
    Great sb! Looking through it all, I think the refs helped, but that's what they're there for -- I mean it as a good thing. Awesome stuff.

That last post looks great too. Only crits I have are the differences in value on the eyes of the boy on the left. And, on the boy to the right, the neck needs a bit something so that it doesn't look cut off from the head. It's a fantastic rendering job with near perfect economy of lines. Well done.

Post more often too!

-Craig

Thanks
    you replied for me, so it's only fair. the anatomy does look very good, and your practice shows. the girls all look fantastic, and i really like the expressiveness you manage to pull off even in simple sketches. they're also manage to be very creative while avoiding being hoaky. last update looks very nice, but craig is right about the eyes. the girl with the huge neck from way long ago manages to be my favorite little drawing in the whole thing, though. excellent work, wkeep posting.
    El arroyo de la sierra, Me complace mas que el mar.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast