Art: Rabid Hippie!

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Rabid Hippie!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Rabid Hippie!

Hello, everyone;

I just finished this one today. It took about 6-7 hours in Photoshop.

I'm looking for people to really tear this one to shreds - I think it's a strong piece in some ways, but it covers a lot of ground that I'm really uncomfortable with, and it leaves a lot of my weaknesses just hanging out there. This is the perfect opportunity to identify & eradicate some artistic shortcomings.

Rabid Hippie!

Anything is helpful, I really want to understand why this piece doesn't look right.

Cheers! :beer:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bodies of both the blokes are great, can't really see any major problems, but when it gets to shoulders upwards it really messes up. (sorry, just doing what you ask me to.) The Rabid guys neck is super long, his ear is in the wrong place, his teeth really freak me out and the bubbles don't seem realistic. seeing as peoples faces are focal points, it needs some fine tunning, although, you may be trying to get the crazed, weird faced man affect.

The other thing is noticed is the source of light...where is it meant to be comming from? bottom left or top right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The light source should be coming from top-right and bottom left, though now that you mention it I'm seeing some weird overlaps. And I never really noticed how insanely long the guy's neck is. Or the misplaced ear.

Good good, thanks for the comments. :thumbsup: I think I need to practice drawing heads at odd angles...

Anyone else want to take a shot?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looks like it could be an interesting and powerful piece. The anatomy though is distracting. Sometimes distortions can add to a piece particularly if its intended to be disturbing. But here I don't think you have quite achieved that. Distortions are cool so long as everything else works. You have some perspective problems too.

It's a nice start though. I would try it again from scratch. Clean up a few things and then push a few others. Sketch it out first in ps and then use layers like a mad man.

~S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the arms are a little of in thickness and reach
    specially the arm of the guy holding the gun..(his right arm) his underarm is twice the size of his upperarm
    and -same guy- his thumb of his left hand is to small

but i still think this is a great piece.. nice eye for details

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you aren't yet taking advantage of flipping the image to check placement, proportion, balance, and composition, then now is the time to start - it'll help you catch a lot of the little bitty things your eye gets used to seeing while you are working. I like this painting a lot, btw, especially your strong modeling technique. Maybe you could use broader simpler strokes for the image as you move towards the edges of the canvas and the smaller smoother strokes only in your areas of focus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't take credit for the distortions... I made their eyes a little bigger than they're supposed to be, but beyond that any distortions in anatomy are accidental.

Starting from scratch sounds like a good idea. If it were up to you, what aspects of the original would you keep?

And I've always had a problem with letting the level of detail slide in unimportant parts of the piece. It just feels so wrong to me somehow. In some ways I think this mindset contributes to my style, but I'd like to know how to do both...

Thanks again for the comments - I look forward to giving this one another try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well in starting from scratch I would say pretty much the only thing you keep is the idea.

Do some quick sketches first, don't throw so much initial effort into it until you feel you are onto something.

Get your poses and anatomy where you want them to be them start laying in some paint.

Something else to remember. Painting isn't about coloring the picture pretty. When you paint use your colors to build deapth, especially when you are working gray scale. Do a quick sketch get the pose and porportions. (Remember the closer something is the bigger it looks) and then do some equally quick lighting tests. The oppsoing corners lighting is a little confusing. It looks somewhat indecisive, but then I suck at lighting.

If you do it in ps you can work with layers so if you don't like something you can delete without losing whats underneath

~S

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.