Sketchbook: Wannabe's wannabe sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wannabe's wannabe sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wannabe's wannabe sketchbook

So I found myself obsessed with art again but I've always liked to draw every
    now and then. The notion increasses when I see anything about art and animation
    and how it's made (animation that is). It really strikes a bone when I visit Disney's
    Hollywood Studio's. The Pixar story always gets me, but I've been doing this since
    I was a kid back when Star Wars was in the movie theater. (oops did I just date myself?)

I recall, when I was younger, wanting and attempting to draw comic books like Marvel.
    I spent some time working through a book on drawing Marvel comics which I found through
    a "Marvel Try Out" book. That book too, I tried to work through. Both books were about
    producing and drawing comics, The Marvel Way. The idea behind the "Try Out" book was
    that you submitted your work to Marvel as per the book. If Marvel liked it they could
    potentially grant you a job. Something, I thought at the time, would be really cool.

Yet, a certain quality was simply not there. I saw a difference in my work than what
    was produced there and what other artist could produce. I saw all artist had similar qualities,
    that I simply lacked. I often thought to myself, that I was not cut out for it. I received
    compliments from friends, family, and other artists; so, I kept at it from time to time.
    I also felt that I could not draw on demand. I had to feel it. I also felt that it took me
    way longer than most to produce work that I was satisfied with.

I also enjoyed drawing practically anything from life. So I would draw anything and
    everything. Again, I never thought my work to be of any quality though; especially,
    in seeing other artist that I would compare myself with. I often thought they were
    way more talented than I was. It seemed that I was working too hard and these
    guys made it look so easy. Plus, my work was never consistent which I chalked up
    to never have really worked at it. Sometimes, I can produce something satisfying
    by accident which would be motivating but it is far and few between.

You see, most of my work came from "copying" and not from my imagination. I can follow
    a step by step process in a book and produce a great image, or re-produce someones
    line work but I never considered that good enough. I can follow Youtube instruction
    pretty well; also, producing some stuff that I like. But to draw from my own mind
    is where I want to be. To be able to draw something of quality on demand. I randomly
    do produce something that I feel is ok, yet, not great, but ok. There is vast difference
    in my work between following a step by step versus drawing from my own mind.

Now considering speed. I always thought that it took me more than twice as long to produce
    a satisfying (to me) image. Meanwhile, someone else produced the image in a fraction of the
    time. I know in industry speed is of the essence.

So here I found this forum as my obsession is back again and I rediscovered a small artset
    that my mom had left me years ago. She is gone now, but I remember her giving this to me.
    She wasn't an artist but I guess she thought I had some talent that she would buy this for me.
    Yet, I feel my work is amateurish at best. I've had no formal training, but I've worked through
    books and understand some fundamental aspects...I think.

But I am here to improve. To become the artist that I want to be. Perhaps there is some magic
    here that will help me weild the pencil with great might. So my goals. Ensure that my fundamentals
    are there. As I follow these step by step procedures, I want to ensure that what I am doing is
    conducive to improving. Next to be able to do the same thing from my head.

First, I will post my past work that I found satisfying. Then I will post my current work that
    I've done this year. Finally, I will be doing studies. Anything of any level of satisfaction will
    be posted for your review. Though, I am a little intimidated by the quality of work that I have
    seen in this forum, I think this is a good way for me to learn and practice my art.

I'm currently working on Loomis set to hopefully sharpen my skills. At the same time playing
    with pastels and drawing random things. Is that too much?

So hello friends and I look forward for your critique...

Last edited by wannabeanimator; October 18th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here is some work that I followed step by step from a Disney "How To Draw Book"...

Name:  VariosDrawings1.png
Views: 253
Size:  497.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More from the Disney "How To" books...

Name:  VariosDrawings2.png
Views: 257
Size:  641.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You said you draw a lot from life, that's a great way to learn the fundamentals and also people around here like to see people working on life drawings XD It shows that your making an effort to improve. So I say you should start with that. Still lifes, get yourself some simple objects like apples, eggs or anything else you can find around the house that isnt too hard to draw, now set up a lamp and turn the lights off. Draw the object the best you can, try to make your drawing look just like what you are seeing. Focus on biggest shapes of light and dark first then slowly start adding in the smaller shapes, do this until you are happy with how it looks.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your comment element....

You have motiviated me to take your advise as exercises that I will include into my regime.
    Once I've done that I will post it here for review; bearing, that the images look somewhat
    representable...

I have some real life stuff that will be posting soon also...right now, I'm just trying to get
    some of my older stuff (not that old) up for review and get my sketch book started.

Thank you again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with @element1988 start with the basics. also it wouldn't hurt to be familiar with human anatomy. Just copy from magazines. it will be a lot easier to create your own character that way even if the proportion is not life like (for your OC). Also you're off to a good start that you are willing to learn. Its still better to enjoy what you are doing, otherwise it will really drain you out. so good job, keep posting and good luck with your endeavor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks lanotdesign...I will take that into account. What is "for your OC"?

@element ( or whoever knows) what do you mean by XD?

Thanks for tips, I will definitely put them to use here.

Here are some more of step by step work from the Disney world, plus a How to Draw Dragon's world...

Name:  various3.png
Views: 224
Size:  759.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks again for posting in my sketchbook. I read your little introduction and I've got to say...we have so much in common! I can totally relate to your feeling of self-consciousness towards your work as well as the speed with which you work. I'm guessing you are a bit of a perfectionist too, like me? It's great that this calling of yours has been rekindled inside of you. It was probably always there but you didn't really pay it any mind but now that it's back you should fully embrace it and take it as far as you can go. Don't give up! Based on your introduction though...you probably won't but just in case I'll say it again anyway. :p

To reiterate what everybody else is saying, draw from life, practice the basics, and learn human and animal anatomy. That's really all there is to it. It may not seem like much, but trust me that's more than enough to keep you busy for a life time. XD You can also copy of magazines and mimic you're favorite artists' style. Whatever you decide to do just have fun with it and experiment. One thing that I would definitely suggest doing, if you don't have anything in mind to draw, is to draw a self-portrait everyday. It's something that I've been trying to do everyday and I find it to be really helpful. Try to do it with a mirror if possible but if you want to draw your head at some funky angle take a picture of it and draw from that. Also, gestures are always good too and are especially beneficial to the budding animator. Try those out for a bit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    twighlight...thanks for the encouraging post and the advise; again, something to add to my regime...

Yes, I'm a perfectionist I guess; yet, I've learned to let go when I need to move on (well sometimes XD).
    As mentioned above, the spark has been rekindled so I am a bit all over the place, but these feedback
    posts definitely are providing good direction. Now, its a matter of balance and focus...

I say this as I was a little ambitious in what I wanted to achieve. Let's see, animation, pastels, sketching,
    anime, etc...I do sketch from real life at times which I will post once I get these other ones out of the way.
    Since the posting above, I've taken today as official day to draw from real life to use simplest of objects
    such as fruits, cups, dishes, etc.

Yet, here is some more step by step work that I did a while back. My next posting will include some real
    life stuff that I've been practicing. Can anyone think of a good work out schedule? From what I learned
    so far I'm thinking the following:

• Draw basic objects from life.
    • Draw Self Portrait
    • Work from Loomis
    • Oil Pastel work
    • Animation 2d

What do you think? Or should I not be so rigid and just do what I feel? I think I need a little bit of
    discipline...no?

Here are some anime step by step:

Name:  AnimeVarious.png
Views: 208
Size:  732.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, two days in a row, I have kept to, at the very least, drawing a basic shape like object
    and portrait drawing. It's obvious that I can not do it all and I am afraid if I attempt to do
    it all intermittently that my progress will be much slower. But we will see...

I have not posted my exercises and probably will not unless they are of some measure of
    quality; yet, but what I am posting is two drawings that I did not too long ago. One is
    from a magazine reference of a single girl. The next one is done from real life of a woman
    and baby on a bed...is this the type of practice that I should be doing?

Name:  Oct2012RealLife.png
Views: 207
Size:  648.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fellow wannbe animator! I second the life drawing bit. But I also would recommend some books to you. I wouldnt trust all those youtube vids you are drawing from, the majority of them are bad. Here is a good site for art related vids with exercises etc. http://www.ctrlpaint.com. And you dont need a tablet to do them all. I would also recommend you stop by the animation forum, here and the actual animation forum website. If you can you might want to play around in blender or maya while you are still learning to draw. You dont have to have great drawing skills to practice animation in 3d, and it has the same principles as with 2d so it will help your animating all around.

Books i would recommend you getting for your drawing skills
    1. Drawn to life by Walt stanchfield - great book, especially for animators, Has great tips for drawing, animating, seeing, storytelling, and staying motivated. Just all around great. Could probably ask any professional 2d animator about him and they would recommend him, hes well known and just fantastic.
    2. Vilppu's books - He has a way of drawing and explaining form that is very helpful for animators, Has nice exercises for warming up and learning basic shapes and forms, which is the basis for nearly everything you can think of drawing... Even Stanchfield recommends him! He also has youtube vids if you search him.
    3. Force drawing for Animators - Nice approach for animators. Emphasizes capturing action which is what animation is all about ...
    4. Loomis. I see you have some but i recommend all of them. You can get that here http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/
    5. I like hamptons book, especially for structure and anatomy, some people will say bridgeman... I think its just a matter of choice really. I would recommend finding something about perspective aswell. None of the books mentioned focus on it, they mention and give tips but not deeply
    6. GOOGLE

For learning animation
    You can get the toonboom programs for free with a PLE license, meaning you can learn on them for free but you cant use them to sell etc. There is also blender.
    1. Animators survival kit- No questions, Get it. A little birdy told me you can get it online for 'free' so no excuses not to
    2. Preston Blairs book
    3. I like Tom Bancrofts books but you dont really need them.
    3. GOOGLE - theres so much good shit out there its not even funny. Seriously! http://theanimationgarden.blogspot.com.au/

Finally I would seriously recommend you join 11second club forum and animation forum (as well as staying here) and surround yourself with people who know more about what you are interested in. Im not saying this place isnt helpful and great but alot of people here are aiming at a different goal and even though they both involve drawing art, they might not value the same things in art which can lead to some crappy advice/critique. Im not saying its all bad, but its really helpful when you have friends who seek out the same things and have cool links/inspiration for the stuff for your field of choice. Im not saying you should leave here though, but i would recommend building that circle of trust by interacting with more people. Advice from a random internet person can be good *cough Cough* but once you have art friends who know you, who know what your intentions are, your goals, who wont butter you up, who you can go to, thats like gold right there!

PS: You better keep updating! Stick with it!
    PSS: READ THE BOOKS DONT JUST LOOK AND DRAW THE PICTURES! (so many people dont read -.-)

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgot this and for some reason my computer doesnt want me to edit again. If you didnt already start an inspiration folder. Collect the art you see and you like inside of it. Including short animations like pencil tests and stuff. Not really will it give you a burst of inspiration looking at it but for drawing "osmosis" when you draw.

Forgot: the illusion of life is good too. And its from one of my favorite artists!

Last edited by Wingal; October 21st, 2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, Wingal...Thank you very much...your points are truly inspiring and I will be all
    over that. I currently use/play with Anime Pro and have been considering in working
    with Blender; yet, another part of me says not to waste time with it and just focus
    on Maya...but I like free...and from what I seen that Blender can produced...I'm pretty
    impressed. Thank you for your post and I hope you can guide me further as I continue
    to post here. I will definitely be checking out those other links.

Here are some real world stuff that I've sketched...

Name:  variousreallife.png
Views: 184
Size:  760.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe you can make your darks darker, and maybe son anatomy classes would help.
    I suggest you to visit this website http://referencesforartists.tumblr.com/ It helped me a lot to improve. Im sure it's usefull

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pietro Adante For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up with the life drawings man! I look forward to seeing your progress

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kiichi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Adante View Post
    I believe you can make your darks darker...
    Pietro and kiichi thank you for the motivation and tips...

Just curious if you could tell me where to make my darks darker? Please provide details.
    In general, I will do that...but just want to see what you see..

Update: I started hitting the Loomis book pretty hard last night. Drew like 20 heads
    from his "haveing fun with pencil"??? book. I thought initially that these were easy so
    I played with shading and creating my own from my imagination. Interesting concepts
    I found with circle in how it is all the circle drawn (I can't draw a perfect one) with
    added lines to show a ball at different angles. Working and making different and
    same faces for consistency. Working with different angles was fun, entertaining,
    and helpful.

I will post this stuff as time allows...this exercise was so great and inspriing I am
    considering in applying this to animation. Just draw the head and have it move around
    and talk...then I could kill two birds with one stone...perhaps just taking the ball
    exercise and just move the ball around and make it bounce around...

The hardest part is time and balance...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Just wanted to say, keep on drawing! You sound very motivated, just keep doing what you're doin and keep posting your progress, I'm sure you'll keep seeing improvement over every page.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to anivy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still working through the Loomis book...so many circles and heads...good stuff, I think..

Here is pic I sketched on the bus (while moving) from a picture...

Name:  busdrawing1.png
Views: 142
Size:  474.2 KB

Last edited by wannabeanimator; October 28th, 2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: *Edited 10/28/2012* - didn't realize how big the image was so I shrunk it; included another that I did also...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, just one question...Why sketch from a picture on a bus when you could have been sketching real life people and objects that are on the bus? Don't be afraid to draw from life, it's a lot more beneficial than drawing from a picture any day. Keep putting work into Loomis and if you are going to use Youtube tutorials may I suggest Sycra. He's got a lot of neat stuff, good quality too. Check him out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again twilight...so I took your advise and attempted as such...here are some results.
    Also, some of other real life sketches that I do around the house or where ever I am at.
    Thanks for the Sycra and push for keep on doing the Loomis...I will post all the heads I drawn
    from all the great exercises he has in that book...love it...and thank you...

Here it is...

Name:  reallifesketches.png
Views: 140
Size:  846.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So now that I have my lights back on; thanks to Sandy, I have a little time to post my loomis
    works and various sketches. Here is the beginning of Loomis' Fun With Pencils...I can really
    get an appreciation for practicing these as they do lend to understanding on when I attempt
    to draw from imagination, but the only caveat is that I see everything in these cartoonish
    type figure forms... XD

Here is the beginning set...

Name:  Loomiswork1.png
Views: 128
Size:  817.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my second set of Loomis, which is when I also found how to make "home made"
    blending stumps. I couldn't resist blending at which you will see below. The head in the
    top left was done from my imagination instread of following the Loomis book.

I then included a real life sketch. I posted two copies as the second copy was little
    darker and to me looked better. Perhaps that is where one said that I need to make
    my darks darker?

Finally some work from the dragon "how to draw" book. I posted two versions as I couldn't
    resist to do some blending, but I don't clearly see much of difference (plus the second
    ones' focus is off). But my issue here is that I was stuck...ok, so I drew this Dragon, it's
    ok for me, but I wanted more from it. I wanted it to pop out (it's hand, etc) to give
    it a greater presence. I also wanted to depict it in a fiery cave so the lighting would of
    came from behind...I think I am not ready for such a project, but perhaps some tips
    on this would help...I then destroyed this drawing as I attempted to color it with pastels...
    uhg....I was motivated as I browse other impressive sketchbooks here...

Name:  Loomis2AndVarious.png
Views: 131
Size:  873.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I often peruse through other folks sketchbooks and find a lot of inspiration or at least
    something to look forward to...well maybe. Some folks can really produce nice work
    on here...

After reading this thread, http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...-and-art-theft

I hope this doesn't break any rules, but I found a painting that I really liked
    done in another person's sketchbook. His/her work was done in oils or Digi,
    yet as I am fond of pastels (oil) at the moment, I use such paintings as
    references to attempt to replicate in pastel.

The idea is to learn how to use the instrument as such...(I've seen some really
    good work in pastels). So I'm posting here for any thoughts, but this is copy
    or the reference was from someone else's work. (It probably doesn't look exactly
    like it, but it's what I can do at the moment as I don't have that type of skill level
    and/or talent).

I forget what sketchbook that I saw the original image from, but as soon as I
    find it again, I will reference it here. Feel free to let me know where it's from...
    as I really liked this artist's work.

This part of the forum is updated so rapidly that it's hard to keep up.

Also, if this is in anyway against the rules, please let me know and I will take it
    down...I'm kinda chalking this up as using another drawing as reference??? Forgive
    me ahead of time...Thanks, but wanted some input/practice on pastel drawings...oil that is...

Name:  20121103_212334.png
Views: 158
Size:  264.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is more work with Loomis but this time he said to blot it with black and I only could find
    a marker to do so. Let me know any tips on inking and what to really use or does it matter.
    I am also addicted to pastels, oil pastels, which you can see that attempted a lamp from real
    life...looks nothing like but in shape. I really want to capture realism in pastels, yet I'm still
    only scratching the surface. The pillows and hand are practice from real life.

Something though...I was heavily deep into animation, yet I have to admit after coming here
    I have not touched it since...I want to but drawing in my sketchbook seems really nice. Perhaps
    if and when I invest into a Watcom or Inuous that I will be more influenced there.

Also my daughter, who is 10 years old, joins me as we share this sketch book. I tagged her
    work with the text Mad. It seems my obsession has influence/motivated her also to
    practice, but she demands that I post her drawings for review...I was going to let her have
    her own sketchbook, but after some discussion here with some folks on the "art discussion"
    side, I think collectively this is the best approach. (thanks everyone who shared their thoughts).

Again, open for review, critique, and tips.

Name:  11072012.png
Views: 117
Size:  872.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is more of the Loomis work that I am working through...I have to say drawing all these
    heads definately has given me a better idea in drawing heads...I can not wait until I get to
    the more human like heads instead of the cartoons. I really like Loomis' approach to teaching
    this...I really see it sinking in...

I also found a thread where there are assignments and I thought it would add flavor or more
    interest in drawing objects from real life. The assignment was draw a real life item and then
    draw it again adding your imagination.
    Its from this link http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...27#post1089227

Finally, a small cave piece that I sketched after being inspired by watching a guy on youtube.
    I didn't follow his tutorial and just drew from my mind...perhaps using his work as a reference.
    But what motivated me in this last one is where I attempted the dragon above and thought that
    I needed to draw a good cave...let alone color it...

I've also starting timing how long I spend doing this. For example the Loomis heads below took
    me 30 min (plus interruptions). I am doing this for balancing my life as well as seeing how long
    it takes me to draw stuff.

Any critiques are welcome...

Name:  morework112012.png
Views: 114
Size:  744.2 KB

Last edited by wannabeanimator; November 10th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As noted before, my daughter has taken interest in drawing and we are sharing
    this sketchbook. She has taken a liking to drawing Anime and found tutorials and
    reference all over the place. I like her motivation, but here is something she
    drew today working from a youtube tutorial...she's 10 and I'm trying to get her
    to work off the same Loomis book as myself, but I guess it is not as cool or fun...
    But I am really proud of what she has done...

Name:  20121110_124359.png
Views: 101
Size:  417.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some self-portrait...attempts. The one on the left is pre-Loomis training and the one on the right
    is today. I would say the one on the right is better picture from a shape and proportion perspective...I would
    say that is due to the Loomis training that I have been putting myself through. Yet, neither of the pictures
    look exactly like me in anyway XD

Name:  selfportraight.png
Views: 123
Size:  648.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! I think its great you're drawing together with you daughter! I have to say her drawings are very good for her age. Just keep on drawing Mad! Draw anything and everything!

The loomis has definitely paid off, I think don't worry about the likeness - just focus on the proportions. The likeness will improve almost simultaneously, just keep at it! Something that helps me a lot is drawing reference lines before I sketch out the drawing. It doesn't matter if they still show even after its finished, its to help train your eye, eventually you'll start to see them even when they're really faint. I think I can see some very light guidelines on your 2nd self portrait, but make them a bit clearer to give yourself a hand.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to anivy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, how deep my sketchbook went after not posting for a couple of days...

It's great though, it shows that this forum is very active and motivates me to post
    my stuff more just to stay within the first couple of pages for any feedback.

Like the one piece of feedback that I received a while back, "make the darks darker...".
    Well, I keep exploring that and continued to use my HB pencil and simply pressed harder.
    Meanwhile, there was a loley 2B pencil waiting to be discovered. I really like using it
    now. I will do my soft quick sketch with the HB and then darken the lines in with the 2B
    and erase everything else.

I feel that I am getting use to the Loomis heads as I am attempting more and more from
    imagination. Also it is taking me much quicker to draw these heads. I think I averaged
    3 in thirty minutes...so here are some of my latest heads...some from Loomis others from
    my imagination.

The cat is from real life, which I then attempted to put a hat with glasses from imagination.

Finally, there is cup from real life that I attempted with pastels.

Oh, and you will see other scribbles out there...

Name:  latest.png
Views: 73
Size:  884.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here are some things that I felt inspired to draw...

The first is a space cargo ship heading off to the next planet.

The next one, I am almost happy with (please help with this). I saw
    a guy post a reference sketch and the reference itself and it inspired
    me to draw what you see below.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ships-Lightbox

Scroll down to post #8...

Let me know what you think...

Name:  latest2.png
Views: 81
Size:  994.9 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.