Finally got my JaJa Pressure Sensitive Stylus
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Finally got my JaJa Pressure Sensitive Stylus

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Finally got my JaJa Pressure Sensitive Stylus

Looks like they finally come through. I am still testing it out. Will let you know how pressure sensitivity goes.
    I have a surface protector so seeing how this goes.

Name:  jajastylus.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  55.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see the immediate effects of pressure sensitivity in Sketch club with the stylus. Everything else however, doesn't seem to work very well.

Procreate has a bug, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to connect.
    Sketchbook pro didn't let us iPad 1st generation users know that it doesn't our device. >:E *angryface*

I'm sorry but LAME! Should have said it wouldn't.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 13th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hate it when theres bugs in procreation.

Sorry its not working out...sounds rubbish, you don't need it. I'll help you out
    and take it off your hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spoke with the creator last night and finally got it connected so now Procreate is working. There's another wave of apps that will support the stylus as well in the future.

One of the things that surprised me is that I can keep my Moshi (which is a rather thick surface protector for iPad) on when drawing. The Joint will only work on newer iPads and have less levels of pressure sensitivity, so you can see a jump as you apply pressure. In addition the Joint is particular about surface protectors.

The JaJa you can adjust the threshold of pressure (which is what I'm doing ) and I see smoother transitions as I apply pressure. Sketch Club has been utilizing it the best. Pro Create is a bit buggy (until they update) but I also see it.

Unfortunately I can't tell you about Sketchbook Pro because they don't support the iPad 1 (and I made a complaint/asked they do since it works on iPad 1)
    Since I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 I'll be curious to see if future apps will also have support. The stylus uses sound so any device with a microphone will work iirc.

The design and packaging is VERY nice. I like the construction for the price it's solidly built.

I'm going to try to see if I can do some recordings - but it may be difficult since I don't have a tripod and only have a smartphone and older Canon camera for video recording.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just providing some updates.

I've been able to try out Art Studio as well. I started noticing gaps in line or it won't pick up lightest pressure. I changed the batteries but still got it from time to time. There was a suggestion to try the spare tips and it works much better.

I'm surprised at the amount of versatility of the line. It doesn't have the jumps like I've seen in demos of the Jot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the review. I was curious about going this route before I bought the Note 10.1, but I couldn't find a store to try it. How accurate would you say the pen is? Is there also palm rejection while you're using it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way you hold the stylus you won't want to rest your palm on the surface to get the the best pressure. Even though the way I usually draw I'd be resting my palm. I don't do so with the JaJa but it is comfortable.
    But no palm rejection.

I can't give 100% on accuracy since I have the problem on tips but when it works the pressure curve is smooth and doesn't feel offset. It follows the tracking of the ball, there's maybe a little lag as the line is catching up but doesn't feel bad. Considering that I had a hard time using fingers this is an improvement.

Also should mention Palm Rejection is a software issue - not not the stylus maker. If the company who makes the app doesn't put them in - it's not the fault of the stylus maker.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 16th, 2012 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lady who made the unboxing video made a video of the JaJa in use

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww man I just ordered a jaja a week ago and Im starting to hear a bunch of horrible things :|

not sure how to feel :c

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus. View Post
    aww man I just ordered a jaja a week ago and Im starting to hear a bunch of horrible things :|

not sure how to feel :c
    Well if you read the reviews about the clicks - I believe that was the first gen SDK that went out to help developers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got an Adonit pen. What´s the difference between it and the Jaja?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Goremageddon View Post
    I got an Adonit pen. What´s the difference between it and the Jaja?
    The Adonit Touch has less levels of pressure sensitivity, it uses bluetooth and that means if you're on a plane you can't use it. It charges via USB

JaJa has 1024 levels pressure sensitivity, it does not need bluetooth, but it uses a AAA battery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Looks like they finally come through. I am still testing it out. Will let you know how pressure sensitivity goes.
    I have a surface protector so seeing how this goes.
    It looks like you have a first gen iPad? I also have a first gen and heard this wouldn't be compatible. How do you find it works? Is performance okay? I'm considering getting the new iPad, but I'm not totally sold on this tech. If the Jaja works well enough on the iPad 1 I will go ahead and buy it to give it a try, but I'm not sold enough to also drop $700 on a new iPad yet.

Members who have read this thread: 3