Lacking Authenticity
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lacking Authenticity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lacking Authenticity

Hey ConceptArt community, its me again and back with my questions.

I wanted this to be sort of abstract and painterly (something different but pleasing to look at)
    I tried to achieve that by using different colors, making random lines, and using different brushes (only 3 i believe) and i used some photoshop functions (like overlay) to give it some glow. I even tried to leave brush strokes to give it a artistic look. Am I jumping too far ahead of myself

I guess you will know what i am aiming for from this pictures (as far as abstract and painterly)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by William Scott View Post
    Am I jumping too far ahead of myself
    Yes.

The work you're trying to emulate is way beyond your skill level. Work on modeling form as true to life as you can. Learn the basics before you try to experiment.

And as an aside, random lines and random colors are a big no-no, especially if you cannot design your lines and have a solid grasp of color theory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww yeah I agree on not being able to replicate that, I was just wondering was I taking the right steps to get to that point.
    Man O' man, i did that experiment because I thought I had learn a bit of the basics (as far as portraits go). If i am understanding correctly, you are saying that the color theory will give me hints on what color to choose? Doesn't that take away from experimenting? Those colors in the artwork above were selected purposely you think? If you don't mind, what do you mean by "design your lines"? Line quality?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If i am understanding correctly, you are saying that the color theory will give me hints on what color to choose? Doesn't that take away from experimenting?
    Wannabe Chemist: "You mean I have to learn atomic theory and the periodic table? Doesn't that take away from experimenting?"

Those colors in the artwork above were selected purposely you think?
    EVERYTHING the experienced artist does is done purposely, even if it's not done consciously.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol Nice example, i guess you call me the wannabe artist then. Before I start looking myself, does anyone know some sources that explain color theory? I feed off this website ( http://www.henningludvigsen.com/tutorial-colour/ ) I dont know if it explains a lot about the theory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out the tutorials section, specifically this thread:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...28178-links%29

In there, there should be links to almost anything you need to work on, including colour theory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't mind, what do you mean by "design your lines"? Line quality?
    Lines should not be random. They should have a specific purpose, whether it be modelling the form, leading the eye, establishing rhythms, accentuating areas of interest, etc. Do some research on line control and line weight. Random scribbles will always look just like that: random scribbles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand my friend, thanks for the pointers, i have written them done. I will do some research of it aswell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, something to note, the canvas size of those other two paintings you like are WAY bigger than what you are painting right now. I would try doubling you image size and start painting on top of what you have there. You'll be able to put in much more detail.

But listen, you're off to a good start. Count everything as practice, experiment when ever you like, but also don't loose track of fundamentals.

Look at your painting in black and white to check values and contrast, compare that to those other paintings viewed in black and white. How do those pieces use contrast to "sheep dog" the eye into going where it's supposed to? Saturated colors don't effect contrast as much as you'd think. It's easy to get distracted from contrast when playing with colors.

Finally, pick two light sources and stick with them. Haha. Where is that green neck light coming from? Pull back the purple rim-light to the edge of the face, darken the middle with some deep grey tones, keep that yellow light from taking going places it's not supposed to hit, and render the hair according to those light sources established on the face.

Keep it up, and don't get discouraged. Just saved under a different file so you can revisit starting from the same point until you discover something that works!

It is really simple not to be rude.

"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

www.ktino.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kylelatino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may go back and work on this piece some more, I originally just quit but i think im going to see just how far my "artistic" mind takes this. Ill try to keep track of the fundamentals and try not to get TOO crazy with colors with what i've studied from the color theory recently(not much). By making my Canvas bigger, I think you mean making the head smaller.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get what every one else is saying but those last two are absolutely incredible. In my opinion, what you're doing is really working and it's almost impossible to look away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, I actually mean increase the over all image size. So if it's 900x600 now, go up to 1800x1200. Yes, it will stretch out your pixels and give you fussy lines, but you need to keep painting on top of what you have any way. Scale the whole thing up, and keep going. Those other paintings you sites were painted neat 10,000px on there longest side. So of course the brush strokes are going to look different.

It is really simple not to be rude.

"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

www.ktino.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.