Thanks

Worrying too much or doing too little

I feel that I am not making progress anymore. I have reread Loomis and Vilppu and Bridgeman, followed their advice and moved on to the next. Not only reading but copying examples, grabbing what helped me best. I have looked for tutorials, I have bothered friends and fellow artists, imitated styles, done gestures.

Throughout the last summer I did this and now I'm too fed up with this to think they're going to help anymore. They can't tell me anything new and I can't tell myself anything new either, feels like listening over and over the same tape and just nodding to it tiredly saying "I know."

This won't move forward.

I don't know if this is that I have changed my approach and instead of simply doing what I felt like I tried to fit in a learning scheme (it did feel like you made progress when you just let yourself go), or if I am actually not working hard enough to learn and fit into these schemes (after the third reread I don't feel at all like going on and quit easily. Again it feels like it's old news).

Probably both, hey. Either way I am not doing something right.

I know I can't hope for someone to guide me in the right way that suits me best, but I'd thank any kind of input that others have had through experience.
    Last edited by perpetualInsomnia; October 12th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,825 Times in 943 Posts
    I haven't read "Art and Fear", but it sounds like you should.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,056 Posts
    I know it's been said a gazillion times, but... The way to make progress is to just keep drawing. A lot. For a long time. Books and teaching can help (or confuse, depending,) but the only way to REALLY progress is to, yes, keep drawing.

It sounds like you've maybe reached the awkward phase many us go through when we've absorbed a lot of information but haven't fully assimilated it through practice yet... So everything we've been learning almost feels like more of a hindrance than a help, because we're thinking about it too much and it becomes distracting. With more practice, a lot of that learning becomes almost subconscious and drawing feels more natural and spontaneous again.

If you're fed up with books/learning schemes/etc. why not try putting all that aside and just drawing a lot for a year?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Improvement isn't a straight line going upwards, but more like stairs. Sometimes you mull around in one step for a while until you suddenly notice you've stepped up one step.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 6,335 Times in 4,358 Posts
    You have at least 3 SBs and nowhere as far as I can see are not drawing anything from life, not even an apple.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetualInsomnia View Post
    yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada .................................................. ........I'd thank any kind of input that others have had through experience.
    BAM. You nailed it. Any good input someone may have concerning how to tackle the issues you listed is only gained through experience. So draw more! Look deep within yourself, you KNOW that's the only way growth can occur.

Maybe you just don't enjoy drawing anymore as well...if that's the case, get a new hobby.
    -I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    @StarEater - I have a copy myself, read it twice. I wouldn't be making the post otherwise but hey, there's no way to know about that. Either way thanks.
    @QueenGwenevere - That's fair enough I think, and you're not the first one telling me so. If I go by any of the four replies here you're probably the one who's helped me the most -mostly because you've pointed out most of the problem better than I did.
    @TinyBird - Yeah I know first hand. It's not my first crisis but it feels a lot like "one step backwards for two steps forward". I've been stuck in this step for months though, and it's been worrying me because I've never felt so "out" for so long.
    @BlackSpot - Could get defensive about that but it's a fact.
    @Syle - Dude, it's been this way since June. If I'm still trying, that should tell you about how much I love drawing, and if I'm asking here it should tell you about how weirded out I am about the fact of still being at this same point. I can allow myself to ask every now and then.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,825 Times in 943 Posts
    You're welcome.

Now grow a pair.

Seriously.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,688 Times in 5,022 Posts
    I like your pen sketches a lot. You should do more of them, if doing them makes you happy. If it doesn't, then stop, nobody's putting a gun to your head. Your problems aren't art problems.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post: