Sketchbook: The Journey of a boy called Papu

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Journey of a boy called Papu

(Updated with my latest piece! I didn't like the previous one as my skecthbook thumbnail.)

Heyooo! I've been lurking here for awhile now and I got so inspired my other peoples' sketchbooks that I just had to start my own. It's so awesome to see how people have gotten better and doing a sketchbook on this site just feels like a good way to record the journey of an aspiring artist. So yeaaa a sköööttchbööök AWSUM

I feel like I need to say something about myself so here goes. I'm 18 years old now(I turn 19 in 10 days!! DDPP), currently in high school(fakken hate it tbh) and I live in Finland. I've always been drawing, but it wasn't serious before I turned 18. I'm not sure how I realized this is what I want to do, but I guess it was just seeing other peoples' awesome art. So yeah, I've been doing this for about a year now and I'm more inspired and excited than ever; such a good feeling it is ). I can't wait to start posting here regurarly and I intend to update atleast 4 times a week, probably a lot of studies and whatnot, some illustrations once in a while too probs.

I wanted to include some anatomy skeches(sorry for the terrible quality, my scanner is broken so I had to use my shitty camera) and this character I drew the other day, to show you the level I'm at right now.

(Update 22.5.13
    Name:  possible illustrationcolor21111111111122112221211.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  424.6 KB

Attachment 1666255

Last edited by Papu; May 24th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the forums! nice first post...i can see your art going somewhere, hope to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Here is a couple of studies and sketches I did a while ago. Nothing special, but I wanted to post something.

Name:  jacqui1.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  217.9 KBName:  mech.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  206.4 KB

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Papu; October 16th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to post some stuff I've done in the last year or so. The first one is something I did for a friend yesterday. It could be a lot better(the face is pretty bad), but I only had like a one day to do it, so I guess it's okay. The second one is pretty old and one the first digital paintings I was happy with. It's maybe a bit too dark, but oh well. The third one was done like a couple of months ago, it was a really challenging piece and in the end I think I screwed it up(The background for example is horrible). Positive thing is that I learned a LOT while I was doing it, so that's always good.

I'm going to start posting more typical sketchbook stuff soon. I just wanted show the stuff I've done in my first year, since I started taking things seriously. It's mostly digital stuff and there's loads more of it that I haven't posted yet, and probably never will. Anyway, I realized a couple of weeks ago that while it's good that I have learned the basics of digital painting and I don't suck at it anymore, I really have to go back to the very basic and essential things like perspective and anatomy, because I just don't handle that stuff well enough yet. I want to learn that stuff now, so I won't have to worry about it later on. So yeah expect a lot more of that kind of stuff

Name:  123123.jpg
Views: 2430
Size:  293.0 KB Name:  dark1.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  221.1 KB Name:  dick2.jpg
Views: 2332
Size:  269.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There should be a post of studies I did in here, but it hasn't showed up. I posted it a couple of days ago and it said a moderator has to approve it before it shows up. My last post(which I posted a couple of minutes ago) showed up immediately, without having to wait for approval. Hmmm I don't get it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a couple of studies I did. Nothing special, but it's something

@kevin_ Thanks a lot mate and trust me, you'll see more of my stuff

Name:  chigurh1.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  381.2 KB Name:  experiment.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  259.6 KB Name:  Anatomy practise4.jpg
Views: 2219
Size:  129.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice studies. More, more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last one for today! This was loads of fun to do. I liked the lighting a lot, in the stock image so I decided to paint it. My goal was to make it as photorealistic as possible, but not spend too much time on it. Mission accomplished atleast IMO.
    @nouge Thanks I'll probably update atleast 4 times a week so more will be coming lots more.

Name:  anatomy practise.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  142.9 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Papu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Loomis studies. I really liked doing these and I'm probably going to do more of those pivots today. Don't mind that perspective study it's pretty much very badly done, but atleast I learned something from it. That second thing is something I did for school and I liked it, so I figured why not post it here

Name:  loomis studies2.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  408.2 KB Name:  kuvis.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  501.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some loomis sketches and 30-60 studies I did last weekend. There's also a random character I painted today, which I was happy with.(It's pretty much a WIP, but I'm not sure I'm gonna finish it so I just figured I'd post it.) The last one was perspective practise and I also wanted to practise painting indoors environment.

Name:  SAM_1639.JPG
Views: 2118
Size:  490.0 KBName:  SAM_1640.JPG
Views: 2086
Size:  467.7 KBName:  SAM_1641.JPG
Views: 2040
Size:  487.7 KBName:  SAM_1642.JPG
Views: 2023
Size:  467.5 KBName:  SAM_1643.JPG
Views: 1997
Size:  488.6 KBName:  SAM_1644.JPG
Views: 1979
Size:  501.9 KBName:  SAM_1645.JPG
Views: 1954
Size:  474.3 KBName:  SAM_1646.JPG
Views: 1914
Size:  421.1 KBName:  SAM_1647.JPG
Views: 1898
Size:  504.2 KBName:  SAM_1648.JPG
Views: 1889
Size:  467.8 KBName:  SAM_1650.JPG
Views: 1886
Size:  519.6 KBName:  SAM_1652.JPG
Views: 1844
Size:  354.2 KBName:  SAM_1651.JPG
Views: 1835
Size:  478.3 KB
    Name:  kuvis 233.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  178.0 KB Name:  perfinal1.jpg
Views: 1786
Size:  230.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohhhh this last painting really made my eyes pop out, love it!! Your anatomy seems really good and improving all the time, not sure what I can crit just keep practicing like you are already!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My friend you are on fire and working like a beast its great. You have a very naturalistic style to you painting its def going to be awesome in years to come. that girl sitting on the couch looks pretty polished like the attention you payed to the fabric and the folds and the way the fabric is stretching across the skin, applying those techniques to your own work in time will help it stand out. Liking your portrait studies too and you have some good ideas of your own like your own. Keep working.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been busy with school stuff(essays and such), so that's why I haven't updated. I wanted to post something though, so here goes. The first one is from a photo but the others are obviously from imagination.

Pretty boring stuff, but I just started a new illustration today that's turning out quite well. I'll try to finish it as soon as possible, so I can post it here.

Name:  environment speedpainting 1.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  394.5 KBName:  mannikin practise.jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  348.8 KBName:  enviro prac.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  233.6 KBName:  1face.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  120.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Papu, nice looking sketchbook you got here. The studies are great and your pencil work is exactly how I want mine to be, eventually.

Keep up the good work.

Matt

Always looking for feedback, so feel free to stop by any of these, cheers.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anivy Thanks so much and don't worry I'll sure as hell keep practising.

@ja1307 Haha Thank you very much. Yeah I'll try to apply it to my work, and I know that doing all these studies will pay off.

@Riox Thanks a bunch Wow I thought my pencilwork sucked. Btw You've got a nice looking skechbook too, I'll be sure to drop a crit and a comment there soon

Too much shoolwork GAAAAAHHHH!! It's seriously killing me, I haven't had enough time to do art and it sucks. Honestly I can't wait till high school is over.
    Anyway, here's a couple of studies I did. The third one is wip of a bigger picture with many more characters. It's kinda inspired by Akihiro Yoshida's Final Fantasy stuff, obviously it doesn't come even close to his work, but I'm content with it. I'll post the finished illustration with more characters soon.

Name:  men muscle anatomy study.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  160.7 KBName:  portrait practise2.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  399.3 KBName:  final fantasy color.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  301.5 KB

Last edited by Papu; November 5th, 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to post this! I did it today and I'm pretty happy with it, but before I start to paint it properly I wanted to see what people think of it. Should I change something about it? Is the composition good or bad and why? Should I lose something out of it? Critique like that would be awesome

Name:  postapo.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  515.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah. I won't have any schoolstuff disturbing me for awhile so I can finally get back to drawing and painting properly. Yeaaa!!

So there's a couple of sketches I did tonight, mainly practising doing faces. Then there is a WIP of a painting I'm working on. It looks pretty boring now, but there is a bunch of stuff I'm going to add on it and stuff on hidden layers that aren't showing yet(Like a character and a tree and stuff like that). Then there is also a really quick lighting study.

Name:  spacemen.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  495.0 KB Name:  postapo2 color2233.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  466.3 KB Name:  lighting study.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  208.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been way too long since the last time I posted in here. I feel like I always say something like, "Yeah, now I'll start posting more regurarly, for sure" but it never really happens. I don't think I really even believe those promises myself, but for some reason I still say them......Lol at some point I said I'll post atleast 4 times a week, which is such bullshit and never going to happen if I continue like this. I feel like I'm not taking things seriously enough.

Anyway, here is two things I did this week. The other one is 1 and a half hour study and the other one is a personal painting, which is still a WIP. The arms are really bad at the moment, but I'll fix them. I've spent way too much time on it, because I didn't plan what I wanted to paint, so in the end I ended up changing things a lot. Not planning things well enough is probably one of my weaknesses, along with backgrounds and composition. So many things to practise

Name:  asian study.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  210.7 KB Name:  full bodyfinal23.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  277.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good shit so far, sir, and at only 19?! Gah, all you young guys make me wish I had started much earlier than I did. You posted some figure studies and briefly on perspective. I'd like to see more involved work with these, mainly construction studies. When you draw a figure, for instance, are you mainly looking at contours to figure out the shape of the reference to paint it? Or are you analyzing and reconstructing the forms that make up the figure in order to draw/paint them? I guess this is kind of a "show your homework" kinda request. Keep up the good work, Papu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @MrFrenik Thanks mate . Yeah I pretty much just look at the contours of the reference and figure the shapes out as I paint. Sometimes it's harder to do that, depending on the shape, so I don't always get them just right immediately. Sorry if that didn't help much, but I honestly don't know how to explain it in more detail right now... oh well. More construction studies are coming soon

Two portraits yaaaaeeaeah!! I started both of them yesterday and finished both of them today. The black and white one was about 2 hours and the other one with colors is probs something like 5-6 hours. I was trying to get some good forms and values done in both of them, but I'm not sure I succeeded. Anyway I'm happy with both of them and I learned lots of new things while making them, especially from the one with colors.

I'll try to update more regurarly, but I'm not going to make any promises

Name:  female face13final2.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  316.9 KB Name:  male face.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  126.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from the past couple of days. I'm studying the muscles of the arm right now and it's kind of fun. I'll spend tomorrow studying them and after that I'll move on to legs.

So, some muscle studies, an environment study, an update on my previous painting(I changed some things and I think it looks better now) and a character and some faces from imagination. I think I've gotten a lot better with faces lately. A while ago, I hated painting faces because it was so hard, but now I look forward to painting them

I wish my scanner wasn't broken so I could upload more stuff from my skechbook.

Thanks for looking and comments and crits are always welcomed. Especially crits.

Name:  Untitled-1envi.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  482.6 KB Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  339.5 KB Name:  character designs1.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  319.6 KB Name:  female face13final23.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  352.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff I did this past week, nothing too special. I'm not sure about the colors in the illustration and the face is kind of too plain and emotionless, but it'll do for now. Might come back to it later, who knows.

I'd really appreciate any comments or critique : )

Name:  space.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  114.0 KB Name:  123.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  369.2 KB Name:  poses.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  139.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay the christmas holidays have started and I've got nothing but free time on my hands, so I'm making a promise to update this skethbook every day, from 21.12.12(today) to 6.1.13. No excuses this time.

Anyway, just trying to apply the stuff I learned about muscles, last week, to my figures. Hopefully the studying shows.

Happy holidays!!!!

Name:  anatomy practise.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  307.1 KB Name:  legsleg muscles.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  414.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some quick faces I did today. Some of them are better than others, but my goal was just to make faces that look different from eachother and I guess I did okay.

Thanks for looking : )

Name:  100 faces.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  508.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't have to time to post this postrait I did yesterday, but here it is. Learned a lot from it, but I didn't want to spend anymore time so it's a little unfinished. Probably going to post something else today.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  316.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I did today! I kinda like it because I think the comppsition is pretty good and I like the colors, but I'm not sure I'll work on it more. Very much isnspired by Jaime Jones

Name:  environment1.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  461.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of quick studies from today, not that happy with them, but I figured I'd still post them. That woman in the last picture doesn't look at all like Ripley, but I wasn't paying that much attention to the likeness anyway. I was more concentraded in getting the colors right and sometimes that's really hard, but I quess I did an okay job.

Name:  envi1.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  213.1 KB Name:  envi 2.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  230.0 KB Name:  lighting.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  128.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaahh just some stuff 60 poses and couple of lighting studies I did today. Also an updated version of that painting I did the other day.
    Anyhow, I'm giving myself a challenge to do 300 heads and 300 60 second poses this month, so let's see how quick I'll get those done

Thanks for looking : ))))

Name:  anatomy sketr2.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  480.6 KB Name:  environment1234.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  350.3 KB Name:  somttr.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  166.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    neat stuff- I really like the variety of characters in post 24 -- I've always had a thing for faces. heads 9 and 11 are my favorite.
    You're already doing lots of studies and stuff, so not much to add there-

I will suggest you put a link to your sketchbook in your signature- it will be much easier for people to find it

happy sketching!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did both of these yesterday, because I just felt like painting faces(Was too tired to post these yeasterday though, cause it was so late). There is lots of things that didn't really work out, but overall I'm pretty happy with them. I'm really glad that I'm getting much more comfortable with painting faces and I think studying Loomis and doing studies has paid out. I mean A couple of months ago I was kind of struggling with faces and not really looking forward to doing them, but now I'm like ohhhhyeaahhh whenever I get to paing faces.

Thanks for looking!

Name:  face444.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  484.2 KB Name:  quick face12.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  347.4 KB

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2