Schools in Japan?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Schools in Japan?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Schools in Japan?

Maybe a little bit "cliche" question but that's my question.

I want to be a Concept Artist and work in the Videogames industry I want to study in Japan. I would love Tokyo or Kyoto, maybe Osaka.
    Some good schools?

And well, something a little silly but I'm pretty new to this, what do I need to study to be a Concept Artist?
    I mean, what do I have to look for in the studies program from colleges?

And for those who live in Japan, how much would be the costs of living and studying there?
    And the last question, what kind of level in Japanese should I have to study in Japan?

Sorry if my english is weird.

I Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Are Me And We Am I And I Are All Our Together: Our Collective Consciousness’ Psychogenic Fugue
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would strongly recommend against studying in Japan if your goal is to become a concept artist. Art schools here are mainly geared towards sequential art/manga, with a manga style heavily pushed and emphasized, and from what I've seen of programs here, fundamentals are severely lacking and things like drawing from life and colour theory, for example, are basically skipped over in favor of things like learning to use screentones and developing stories. If you don't mind being boxed into a manga style and building upon shaky foundations/you're bound and determined to study in Japan, then you can probably make it work for you, but speaking bluntly, I think western art education is a lot more holistic and will give you a much wider range of skills.

Also, if you're looking at attending a regular school with all Japanese students, I'd recommend having a Japanese level at at least N2級 on the 日本語能力試験, or you'll probably have a hard time understanding enough to get anything out of it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amarok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll have to agree with Amarok.

I was in a similar situation- I liked manga and thought that becoming good at drawing manga was a good way to walk into the world of concept art... And then I started studying at Feng Zhu's school of Design, where Feng Zhu himself said to me that having manga in your portfolio is an almost failsafe way to always be looked at as a teenager- Not as a professional.

However, if working in anime and japanese videogames is your dream, then you should follow it. Be prepared for a harsh road however, especially if you're not Japanese. Also make sure you learn Japanese before moving to anywhere Japan because English is not their strong point and you'll have a very difficult time finding a job there without being fluent in nihongo.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post
    I would strongly recommend against studying in Japan if your goal is to become a concept artist. Art schools here are mainly geared towards sequential art/manga, with a manga style heavily pushed and emphasized, and from what I've seen of programs here, fundamentals are severely lacking and things like drawing from life and colour theory, for example, are basically skipped over in favor of things like learning to use screentones and developing stories. If you don't mind being boxed into a manga style and building upon shaky foundations/you're bound and determined to study in Japan, then you can probably make it work for you, but speaking bluntly, I think western art education is a lot more holistic and will give you a much wider range of skills.

Also, if you're looking at attending a regular school with all Japanese students, I'd recommend having a Japanese level at at least N2級 on the 日本語能力試験, or you'll probably have a hard time understanding enough to get anything out of it.
    I really don't want to be emphatized in manga style, I was looking some good schools in the US and Canada but I realley want to go to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vak View Post

I was in a similar situation- I liked manga and thought that becoming good at drawing manga was a good way to walk into the world of concept art... And then I started studying at Feng Zhu's school of Design, where Feng Zhu himself said to me that having manga in your portfolio is an almost failsafe way to always be looked at as a teenager- Not as a professional.

However, if working in anime and japanese videogames is your dream, then you should follow it. Be prepared for a harsh road however, especially if you're not Japanese. Also make sure you learn Japanese before moving to anywhere Japan because English is not their strong point and you'll have a very difficult time finding a job there without being fluent in nihongo.
    I don't want to draw manga and I don't want to work in the anime industry. I want to go to Japan because of the country, the culture, the people. I also looked upon FZD but I'm REALLY lazy to learn chinese.

I Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Are Me And We Am I And I Are All Our Together: Our Collective Consciousness’ Psychogenic Fugue

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I swear I've already answered...

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post

:C
    I'm really determined to go to Japan, but I don't want to be emphatized in manga style and things like that.
    Gotta think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vak View Post

I don't want to draw manga or work in the anime industry (or maybe I do? hahaha)
    Like I said up there, I really don't want to be boxed in manga things, but I DO want to go to Japan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanna be a concept artist??? Go to Los Angeles and study at Concept Design Academy, LAAFA, or Gnomon. That would be money well spent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, LA is probably the best place to be for concept art

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the answers, so studying in Japan is not a good option.

I'm planning to better study in the U.S., maybe Concept Art Design or TAD but they not offer any kind of degree or diploma, I know it's not necessary to get a job but I'm still determined to go to Japan and to get a work Visa they ask for a 4 year degree.
    Any Art Schools where I can get to learn what I want and offers a degree?

I started thinking on taking Illustration here http://www.ringling.edu/
    What do you guys think?

Last edited by .Blood//; October 20th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with amarok. Not any good school for concept art in Japan.
    If you really want live in Japan and try to become a manga artist or something similar, go to Japan, start a japanese language school (1yr & half or 2 years course) and after that go to some school for mangaka or animation.
    Is the better way

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.