Mighty Mermaid
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mighty Mermaid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mighty Mermaid

the task was to make an illustration of a mighty mermaid....in one day. So here´s my result, please critique or tell me what you think.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, the hair - i suppose she's under water so that make the hairstyle very unnatural, which leads me to the next point. It's hard to tell that she's under water, perhaps you should take a look at your values (darken the background to begin with).
    As for the design i dont se any indications that she's mighty? perhaps you should add some powerfull armor, or place her in a more dominant pose.

And last, the usual, the anatomy needs some fixes (her lats is way to big atm), try to find a good reference.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To me, the design is less like a mermaid and more like a woman wearing a dress that slightly resembles the lower half of an octopus, especially since the shift between the parts is so abrupt and unnatural looking and that she's wearing a bikini that has the same colour and texture.
    Which is an interesting concept if that's what you're doing, but it's not executed very convincingly (like if it's a dress, then it could work and be attached like a dress and not just look like it's pasted on) or interestingly (like whether this is a dress or an attempt of an actual mermaid, it could use a lot more pizzazz, for example why just have a plain bikini when you could have fish-scales, seashells, nets, pearls, seaweed, coral, tentacle gestures and who knows what incorporated to the overall design in several different ways).

Not to mention it doesn't really help that you've gone with very similar colour theme as Disney's Little Mermaid (for many reasons, one of them being that Disney Ariel isn't exactly what I think when I hear the word "mighty").

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one thing i would like to add is that the trident looks like it could be made of wool, use some hard edged brushes and hard lines when you create an object like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you all for your critiques i will try to fix the problems on this picture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gesture doesn't convey 'mighty' to me at all. If she's a mermaid, why do I clearly see a human left leg within the octopus-like lower half?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.