do concept art employers look at degrees?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

do concept art employers look at degrees?

In your experience, how successful do you see being self taught is? (or even online education) i live in canada but i can't afford to move away currently and especially not to the states for thier better (but 3X more expensive) concept art schools. I am in the visual art program at the university of calgary, and i see students graduating with minimal mastery at any one thing because the degree demands for knowledge across the board of all media (jack of all trades, master of none kinda deal). I am thinking of dropping out and learning on my own and taking online classes as ive seen more progress in my art from my own work.

In the hiring process however, do the employers look for degrees or can a portfolio prove itself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, they generally don't. The skills you aquire and the networks you form in art school are very important, but the degree itself really doesn't matter unless you want to work overseas.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No, but I gotta ask -- if you're in Calgary and want to get into commercial art, why aren't you at ACAD?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tailored portfolio for what they are after.
    Some employers will ask you to draw something on the spot in an interview to see if you are the real deal compared to the stuff you put in the folio.
    To keep the job. Creative ideas, good work flow, files that are not totally messed up so other people can't work on them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    currently im attending UofC in the visual arts program. because i transfered in from science, it's my 3rd year at uni but not even done my first year of visual art. the amount of time that's expected to be put into our assignments that hold not enough relevance to waht i want to do to justify it being a worthwhile investment (of time). for the hours i am putting into my degree to be "multidisciplinary" i could be putting those hours into what i know i want to do and have a better sense of knowing what i have to do to improve.
    In my opinion, if one was to be an earnest student in my program, they would emerge a jack of all trades master of none kinda deal. or not even a jack because the homework from 1 or 2 classes should not prove enough to be considered capable in a medium (ignorance again). But i also realize that this is the constant complaint with any art school, which is that you are learning a lot of what you don't need.

its strange thinking "if my none of my teachers are concept artists.... how am i to become one?

again i realize i might be ignorant thinking this way but people like algenpfleger who is mostly self taught worked while doing his computer science (correct?) degree. Hed did the right studies and the right excercises to become successful.

I'd love to hear more insight from anyone! and don't worry about hurting my feelings, i sold my soul when i entered my science degree.

Last edited by wutangclam; October 11th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.