New guy, critique time.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New guy, critique time.

Hey. Pretty new here. But I totally understand what it means to be a beginner at art.

No style excuse here.

So these are two character designs I've been working on for awhile, in many different drawings. Critique them as much as you like. I would pull up the specific references I used for the poses, but I can't seem to find them.

Name:  Mike improvement colors.png
Views: 387
Size:  197.8 KB

Name:  Kim improvement colors.png
Views: 358
Size:  392.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you're doing music fans with superpowers? Interesting.

First, the poses are kind of boring. They're just standing around posing for the camera it seems. Have them doing something with their powers, like have the fire guy shooting some bad music records or something, or have the ghost arm girl attacking something. Show the character's likes and dislikes, or hint at a back story. Something to arouse the audiences curiosity for these characters.

Second, the character designs are kind of generic, and don't really harmonize with their powers. I can kind of see the connection with hand girl and her outfit, but the fire guy looks like his design has nothing to do with his powers. Even if they use their powers in their street clothes, it'd be kind of cool to have a theme connecting them to those powers. Maybe the guy could have a flaming record on his shirt. The pink in his shirt doesn't go well with the rest of the color scheme either. Because it's the only color that's not anywhere else in the design, it's the first thing I notice, and I don't think that's the effect you were looking for. Hand girl has a good color scheme except for the lips and eyes; they're too saturated and clash. Also, are the hand things coming from her hair? I can't tell.

Third is just the "work on human anatomy and gesture drawings" advice, but you probably already knew to do that. Do you have a sketchbook up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by otherscape View Post
    So you're doing music fans with superpowers? Interesting.

First, the poses are kind of boring. They're just standing around posing for the camera it seems. Have them doing something with their powers, like have the fire guy shooting some bad music records or something, or have the ghost arm girl attacking something. Show the character's likes and dislikes, or hint at a back story. Something to arouse the audiences curiosity for these characters.

Second, the character designs are kind of generic, and don't really harmonize with their powers. I can kind of see the connection with hand girl and her outfit, but the fire guy looks like his design has nothing to do with his powers. Even if they use their powers in their street clothes, it'd be kind of cool to have a theme connecting them to those powers. Maybe the guy could have a flaming record on his shirt. The pink in his shirt doesn't go well with the rest of the color scheme either. Because it's the only color that's not anywhere else in the design, it's the first thing I notice, and I don't think that's the effect you were looking for. Hand girl has a good color scheme except for the lips and eyes; they're too saturated and clash. Also, are the hand things coming from her hair? I can't tell.

Third is just the "work on human anatomy and gesture drawings" advice, but you probably already knew to do that. Do you have a sketchbook up?
    Woah, glad to know you got the idea instantly.

Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying about the pink. Didn't notice that until just now.

Yeah, poses and all that, so much to work on. I'll get some sketchbook work up soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Where are the ghost hands coming from?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should look up a tutorial on how to create line art. There are some good ones on Deviant Art.

"Peace and joy is my honey." -me

MY SKETCHBOOK FOR LIFE

Aniko

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by colortheory View Post
    You should look up a tutorial on how to create line art. There are some good ones on Deviant Art.

listen to otherscape

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1