I have almost finished Andrew Loomis books. What's next? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 53 of 53
  1. #31
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hah! Nah, I don't mind people having different opinions, people have books they like and hate - but when he was mentioned he was a professional just wanted to make sure it was a backed up claim. People learn different ways. Though since OP is a beginner, and he dismisses the Loomis book. What would kiliest recommend?

    Also what the heck? I paid 25 for my books. That's probably a week worth Fraps that coffee addicts pay for at Starbucks. (I don't drink it)

    Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 12th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
     

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    2,337
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kliest View Post
    for my style of drawing it is useless..woolly drawing is no help to anyone ..definition is needed in figure drawing ..i see too many young people using blunt pencils and vague image making in digital art in classes
    Speak for yourself. Not everyone wants to learn to draw in your particular ultra-linear style, and not everyone is going to find the same books or teachers useful.

    Anyway, I'll say it again - the point of art instruction books is NOT to copy the pictures or to imitate the style of the pictures. The point is to READ the book. Loomis is not recommended for the pictures, he's generally recommended because his text covers a large number of basic drawing principles in a clear, readable, easy-to-understand way. This makes his books especially good for beginners. And he's often recommended over newer authors because, honestly, there haven't been many really good, clear, comprehensive all-around art instruction books written. There's a few, but not a lot.

    Loomis is still among the better options for all-around beginner art instruction, hence why you'll see him recommended a lot, along with a small handful of other names (usually Bert Dodson and Deborah Rockman... And for figures specifically, Villpu, Bridgman, Nicolaides, Hogarth.)

    If you think you can offer the world a better set of books, by all means go write them. The world could use more better art instruction books.

    (Also, I highly doubt Loomis is responsible for vague image making by beginners... Most beginners do that whether they've heard of Loomis or not. They're being vague because they don't know how to draw yet.)

     

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:


  4. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 97 Times in 44 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Speak for yourself. Not everyone wants to learn to draw in your particular ultra-linear style, and not everyone is going to find the same books or teachers useful.

    Anyway, I'll say it again - the point of art instruction books is NOT to copy the pictures or to imitate the style of the pictures. The point is to READ the book. Loomis is not recommended for the pictures, he's generally recommended because his text covers a large number of basic drawing principles in a clear, readable, easy-to-understand way. This makes his books especially good for beginners. And he's often recommended over newer authors because, honestly, there haven't been many really good, clear, comprehensive all-around art instruction books written. There's a few, but not a lot.

    Loomis is still among the better options for all-around beginner art instruction, hence why you'll see him recommended a lot, along with a small handful of other names (usually Bert Dodson and Deborah Rockman... And for figures specifically, Villpu, Bridgman, Nicolaides, Hogarth.)

    If you think you can offer the world a better set of books, by all means go write them. The world could use more better art instruction books.

    (Also, I highly doubt Loomis is responsible for vague image making by beginners... Most beginners do that whether they've heard of Loomis or not. They're being vague because they don't know how to draw yet.)

    i think i pointed out.. i was speaking for myself....perhaps a whiff of petulance in the air ...methinks..

     

  5. #34
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kliest View Post
    i think i pointed out.. i was speaking for myself....perhaps a whiff of petulance in the air ...methinks..
    Ok great. Want to talk about yourself, start up a blog/get a livejournal. Let's lose the Shatner-isms.

    Now do you have suggestions for the OP or not? If Loomis isn't good, then please by all means recommend books that are. Don't argue about other people not posting links if you're not gonna help either.

     

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  7. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,171
    Thanks
    751
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kliest View Post
    went to buy the loomis figure drawing book last week..i saw a copy when i was at school 30 yrs ago ..thought it was great..
    in the bookshop i realised how useless it is .and so old fashioned..wooly drawing.. vague and blunt drawings pencils everywhere..figures are so demure ..a coffee table curiosity
    there are better books on the market ..than this overpriced book...
    I didn't come across Loomis until I'd already been drawing for a long while, and while I found his style to be useless to me, I found a lot of his tips to still be relevant. There's no particular reason to imitate the man's work, but you can easily apply many of his tips to whatever style you prefer.

    As for other books, I've bought more duds than winners. The ones I'd recommend are Guptill's "Rendering in Pen & Ink", McCloud's "Understanding Comics", Gurney's "Color and Light" and Borgeson's pencil crayon technique books. But as none of them have much to do with figure drawing, there's not much point in recommending them for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by kliest View Post
    you'll learn a lot more by sitting drawing your family and friends or out in the park or street than any book on figure drawing..
    I completely agree.

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
     

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:


  9. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I thought this was the last instructional book on drawing I would ever buy or need



    Until now



     

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:


  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 97 Times in 44 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    a set of books that i sometimes recommend to students doing concept and games art..


    i include andrew loomis "faces and hands" depending on the student

    Complete Anatomy and Figure Drawing.. john raynes


    Anatomy for the artist.. sarah simblet/john davis


    The Artist's Guide to Drawing the Clothed Figure.. michael massen


    On the Art of Drawing..robert fawcett


    Force/Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators ..michael mattesi

    they usually say that the fawcett is old fashioned!

    Last edited by kliest; October 12th, 2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling
     

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kliest For This Useful Post:


  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,002
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    God dammit SE..... I had to look up if those books are real..... .... I feel almost a great shame knowing that anyone would buy these..... ...... ..... How to draw anime books are one thing and bad enough ..... but these..... ...... .... Ugh............

     

  14. #39
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    They are real. I actually posted a review on Amazon on the first one. The eyes are creepy as hell. Looks like they lessened the dishpan eyes in the second book. Wonder if they actually give more drawing tips in their second one or keep deferring to other books. Jared has put out books on digital coloring before,and they run that hardcore hentai site, Cutepet.org.

    I could recommend his coloring and inking tips for painter since they were helpful, but yeah the draw furries book. :/ I don't think anyone should be producing books on how to create sparkle dogs.

     

  15. #40
    OmenSpirits's Avatar
    OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    They are real. I actually posted a review on Amazon on the first one. The eyes are creepy as hell. Looks like they lessened the dishpan eyes in the second book. Wonder if they actually give more drawing tips in their second one or keep deferring to other books. Jared has put out books on digital coloring before,and they run that hardcore hentai site, Cutepet.org.

    I could recommend his coloring and inking tips for painter since they were helpful, but yeah the draw furries book. :/ I don't think anyone should be producing books on how to create sparkle dogs.




    SPARKLE DOGS!!!!

    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
     

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:


  17. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Omen I'm waiting for you to add those two titles I put up to your useful links list.

     

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:


  19. #42
    OmenSpirits's Avatar
    OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Gods no. Just looking at that pic hurts my stomach. Wouldn't want to spread that type of STD! pld:

    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
     

  20. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    2,364
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well. . . being that this is CA. . . and being that Loomis is, of course, The Lord's Infallible Representative Upon the Face Of the Earth,

    you might consider circumcising yourself with a butter knife sterilized with a Bic Lighter. . . just to show your faith upon the completion of your devout studies. . .

     

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:


  22. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,543
    Thanks
    2,307
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Get your ass into as many museums as you can. Bring a sketchbook everywhere you go and draw EVERYTHING. And get the fuck off of the internet!

     

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:


  24. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    474
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 133 Times in 82 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Omen, you forgot the colour palette you used! How am I supposed to draw your OC if you don't include the colour palette?!

    Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!
     

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to keeptime For This Useful Post:


  26. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,287
    Thanks
    219
    Thanked 167 Times in 106 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    the point of art instruction books is NOT to copy the pictures or to imitate the style of the pictures.
    Well for the Figure Drawing book he had in mind that the student draw the figures from the book. But the goal was not to try and make direct copies, but to add what idealization you think should be there. On page 18 he says, "... With every page I suggest you place your pad at the side of the book. Try to get the meaning behind the drawing much more than the drawing itself.".

     

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:


  28. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi, thank you guys for valuable advice and tips. I appreciate all opinions.
    The images I attached below are I randomly collected through google and that's what I want to practice or train myself.
    I just want to draw same figures and characters in different emotions, actions and angles.
    Does anyone know any instruction books just like images below?
    Thanks in advance.


    Name:  Favim.com-31853.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  143.0 KBName:  batman_animated_tv_series_model_sheet_devil17.png
Views: 1089
Size:  224.9 KBName:  beetlejuice tv 1989 model sheet drawing 101.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  111.7 KBName:  character_rotation_by_edmidt.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  222.5 KBName:  how_to_train_your_dragon_concept_art_20.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  51.1 KB

    Last edited by Presentliving; October 15th, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
     

  29. #48
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Do you need instructions on character turn arounds? I mean if you think about it, you're asking for Instructions on Instructions. Just draw dude.
    I'm just saying the images show valuable information. Why not go. "Oh why don't I try that with a character I created"

    Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 14th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
     

  30. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Do you need instructions on character turn arounds? I mean if you think about it, you're asking for Instructions on Instructions. Just draw dude.
    I'm just saying the images show valuable information. Why not go. "Oh why don't I try that with a character I created"

    You simply didn't understand what I said and I didn't mention that I need instructions on instructions at all. I wonder why you got that idea somehow.
    I just want a book like production drawings like the images I uploaded above. It doesn't matter whether it contains instructions or not.
    I just want to see and draw many different gestures in different angles and expressions from one character.
    I've been looking for those kind of books for a month but I couldn't find anything except the ones from online.

    Many people are here really overthink too much or underthink.
    I mean, learning methods can be different, styles can be different, and goals can be different.
    Does it have to be in your way as always? If it doesn't, do "others" must become opponents of yours?
    Most of all, drawing is a hobby under any circumstances in the first place. You enjoy it, not dragged by it.

     

  31. #50
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.j.kim View Post
    You simply didn't understand what I said and I didn't mention that I need instructions on instructions at all. I wonder why you got that idea somehow.
    I just want a book like production drawings like the images I uploaded above. It doesn't matter whether it contains instructions or not.
    I just want to see and draw many different gestures in different angles and expressions from one character.
    I've been looking for those kind of books for a month but I couldn't find anything except the ones from online.
    I don't think you understand really.

    Yeah you want Instructions on Instructions. You do know what these are for right? These are character sheets that other animators use as guidelines. They basically are "instructions" for other animators.

    Many people are here really overthink too much or underthink.
    Yeah, I think there's some irony in your response.

     

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  33. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    First of all, I'm so surprised by the fact that you left comment so fast! Are you some kind of a bug living in the computer and waiting for a moment to leave comments to irritate people? Probably...
    Here I'll give you a fast reply for you to leave your comment. You must be excited right now. Are you satisfied?


    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I don't think you understand really.

    Yeah you want Instructions on Instructions. You do know what these are for right? These are character sheets that other animators use as guidelines. They basically are "instructions" for other animators.



    Yeah, I think there's some irony in your response.


     

  34. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.j.kim View Post
    First of all, I'm so surprised by the fact that you left comment so fast! Are you some kind of a bug living in the computer and waiting for a moment to leave comments to irritate people? Probably...
    Here I'll give you a fast reply for you to leave your comment. You must be excited right now. Are you satisfied?
    You need to calm down.

     

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:


  36. #53
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.j.kim View Post
    First of all, I'm so surprised by the fact that you left comment so fast! Are you some kind of a bug living in the computer and waiting for a moment to leave comments to irritate people? Probably...
    Here I'll give you a fast reply for you to leave your comment. You must be excited right now. Are you satisfied?
    It's called logging on and just seeing your post.

    Here's two pieces of advice I'll give you since you're more interested in arguing than drawing.

    One of the best and realistic pieces of advice out there

    And the old school advice I think in this case needs to brought back on CA

    "Shut up and draw".

     

  37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •