Art: Custom Logo Design Services
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Custom Logo Design Services

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Custom Logo Design Services

My focus is to design custom logos for businesses in need, I also like to design on business cards, fliers, book covers and more, my goal is to stay creative, make sure the client pays for what they want and issue a fast turn around service.

It hard work, one which I focus on providing good service if anyone is seeking a custom design please email me below my contact page from my web site, thank you.

http://fractalking.redbubble.com/contact

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do...you want critiques on these?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure, most of these were done already for clients who provided details, if anyone has any critiques I'm opened to it, the most important is how well of a design it can be, or how can a design be better. I always focus on being creative. So give it a go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks as if you haven't done any formal studying of design, but have rather worked it out yourself by playing with the software. Is that right? If so, I recommend studying up, because it's hard to re-invent the wheel. For example, you use emboss/bevel a lot, which is out of vogue and generally considered ugly by all graphic designers. Read through this article to update yourself with some of the current standards.

Smashing Magazine has lots of good articles about typography and logo design (like this), which I recommend reading through. Be aware of the anatomy of typography, learn about kerning, tracking and leading if you haven't already and why they're important. These aren't directly tips based on your work, but once you start looking into those things you'll find stuff that is directly relevant, and will help you with more complicated or subtle projects later.

Now, on to crits of your particular designs:

First image:
    - Emboss, especially the default Photoshop option, is a bad design choice. It looks especially bad and random on the feathers. If you do use it, 1) only use it on things that actually need it, like a fake button, and 2) make it like 1-2px, not the 5-8px or whatever you have here. Like this.
    - Fake metal gradient looks cheesy. To avoid this, learn how to paint metal yourself, and use shortcuts only when you understand what they are.
    - The font is really hard to read, especially the smaller sized part. Choose a different font that still has the personality you want but without being over-complicated.
    - The text sticks out of the banner! What! No! That breaks the illusion and looks messy.
    - Line weight of the outlines of banners and swords is different. I don't see any reason to have a thick line weight of the banners. Also why is it almost-black instead of grey or proper-black?

Second image:
    - Complicated. Get rid of everything but the cyclist for a nice, cleaner logo.
    - Text curving around a logo usually looks very cheesy.
    - What is the blue-grey shape around the cyclist supposed to represent? Looks like a cog. Not sure what that has to do with cycles or fitness.

Third:
    - Half of these look squished vertically. What's up? None of the spheres are spherical! This makes it harder to judge the designs and looks awful.
    - What is 'Simply Soul'? Why is the Y running into the L of 'Soul'? It looks like a mistake more than intentional -- specifically, because it makes it less clear to read. It looks as if you wanted the text to have really small leading, but then you saw the Y and L clashed so you decided to force it and make them into one.
    - Why have that fancy typeface for what I assume is a golfing logo?
    - Hot pink on black looks really cheesy. It looks like websites made by tweens in the early 00s with animated gif sparkly backgrounds. That, or strippers. I assume neither was your intention. Use dark grey, or probably better: a light background.
    - What is the music thing supposed to be? That doesn't make sense at all -- bass clefs can only go at the front of a stave. Is it supposed to be a word? .. something-reef? Illegible, even after staring at it for a while. Also, if you must make letters out of something, make the letters really damn clear because it's really easy to be illegible or hard to read in an instant that way.
    - Similar criticisms I've already said for the 'Infinity marks' design. Bevel & emboss = bad, figure to represent letter = not readable, typeface seems inappropriate and clashes with the figure (which says something, because Helvetica is supposed to be the most versatile font).

All of these criticisms have been under the assumption that you have made the art here, instead of just got clipart for it. But I'm not so sure that's the case. If you do make use of clip art... stop. Draw it yourself, or start making designs based on what you do have knowledge of instead of what you don't. The point is: if you don't understand what you're using, it's hard to use it well. So start small and just start playing with fonts and typography, maybe some basic geometric shapes. Draw if you want to start doing more graphical/representational logos.

Also, putting 'sample' over your designs is both unnecessary, and makes it significantly harder to see and judge them and give you good feedback. No one's going to steal your logos here.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 4