Art: today at the zoo, need to improve line quality, but how..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: today at the zoo, need to improve line quality, but how..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

today at the zoo, need to improve line quality, but how..

Today i quit a litle bit early and went to the zoo to scetch some animals from life. I'm not extremely pleased with them, especialy the line quality needs a lot of work to make the animals more alife.

Anyone any good tips at how to improve this feature in my drawings. Some exercises or anything, also any good critique is always welcome.

cheers André

Last edited by Automatic_Kafka; June 15th, 2004 at 12:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

example of what i mean

Here is some example of some really amazing illustrator.
    These scetches are from Claire Wendling. I really would love to get this loose and fluid feel to my scetches.

Practice makes perfect i know but practicing the right exercises will get me there quicker so i'm looking forward to your responses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

I like these. That's a great idea by the way, to draw at the zoo. Do you only draw stationary animals? I am far from being a pro at this,but my guess would be to try drawing moving animals, extremely quick sketches (5 - 10 sec) of the general shapes to work on the sense of movement and loosen up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol i thought the second post was your drawings too. i was about to ask you for tips.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    yes BL i think doing more the dynamic poses propably will improve, i have some of those in my studio from an earlier version come to think of it, they do have a better dynamic to them. I wil post some of them here tomorow since i unfortunately don't have time today to go to my studio.

Next week i have a lot more time so i decided to go to the zoo a few times and force me to only do gesture drawings, quickly and lots of them. So proportions propably will be off, well we will see, it should be a lot of fun, lookingforward to it already, good suggestion.

Winjer, i wishh, sigghhhhh... you should take a look at her scetch book, wow. These examples above are the only ones i could find online, but they showed my point, but still in her books there are more impressive ones.

André

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the whole gestures thing. Having a good gesture is the basis of drawing a nice fluid motion. Start with a gesture then work your way up. Adding mass, shadow etc... Also studying anatomy can help too, not just with proportions. Knowing where the bones and muscles are and how they move can really bring your drawings to a new level. Also, this may be a bit too hard right now, but you could try creating a short gesture by only staring at your subject for a second or two. It helps you learn how to 'capture' a monent and it helps with understanding motion. It takes a lot of practice though since you need to 'see' everything at once.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.