Buying a Cintiq, Can't decide which model...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Buying a Cintiq, Can't decide which model...

Hey Guys,

For a while now I've been putting some money aside to invest in some new gear for my working space. More specifically, I'm thinking of buying a Cintiq. I've been debating with my self for months on whether or not I should acquire one. I would love to make the digital drawing experience feel more like drawing traditionally (at least during the creation process, I'm not talking about the way the final illustration will look). I've been working a lot traditionally lately and I just mis the eye and hand co÷rdination while working on my intuos4.

That being said, there are a few other things I find important to look at when considering buying one of these cintiqs. Mainly the screen specs:

DISPLAY Cintiq 22HD:

Native Resolution - 1920 x 1080
    Numbers Of Colors - 16,7 Million
    Luminance - 230 cd/m2
    Contrast Ratio - 1000:1 (typ), 600:1 (min)
    Viewing Angle - 178░
    Multi-Touch - No

DISPLAY Cintiq 24HD:

Native Resolution - 1920 x 1200
    Numbers Of Colors - 16,7 Million
    Luminance - 190 cd/m2
    Contrast Ratio - 550:1
    Viewing Angle - 178░
    Multi-Touch - No

DISPLAY Cintiq 24HDTOUCH:

Native Resolution - 1920 x 1200
    Numbers Of Colors - 1,07 Billion
    Luminance - 300 cd/m2
    Contrast Ratio - 850:1
    Viewing Angle - 178░
    Multi-Touch - Yes

I'm not really interested in the touch function, but the 24HDTOUCH has the best screen, next up seems to be the 22HD? where one would expect the 24HD? Which seemed a bit weir to me. However the 22HD has better a luminance and contrast ratio when compared to the 24HD. Of course its a bit smaller and has a few less express buttons. but its also a bit more cheaper. The 24HDTOUCH seems like something for a seasoned pro... + 1200 euro's extra is (compared to the regular 24HD) seems a bit much.

Anyways, I'm looking to buy one (if I can convince myself to be worthy of such a device) within the next 2 weeks, if any of you pro's can give some feedback on your experiences with the different devices, I would really appreciate it, as I can't seem to make a decision between the 3 options...

Cheers,

Brun

EDIT:

Something I might need to take in consideration as well is the comfort difference between the 24HD housing and the 22HD housing

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive read alot of negative feedback on the antiglare of the 22HD. it seems some get used to it over time while others have outright returned it because of it. its antiglare to the extreme and it effects how clear the screen is.

I have not read anything about the 24HD having this problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I own the 24HD and it's plenty bright enough and there isn't any glare issue. Honestly, the screen is almost too big for me at times; when I feel that sensation, I just zoom out real quick to calm myself down

Honestly though, I can't see you going wrong with the 22HD. For the cost difference, you won't know what you're missing with the extra 2 inches.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trust me, the 22 is freakin' huge when you get it... and DO NOT underestimate the ability to just spin/tilt the thing when drawing. it so much more natural than the electronic radial button spinning.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    trust me, the 22 is freakin' huge when you get it... and DO NOT underestimate the ability to just spin/tilt the thing when drawing. it so much more natural than the electronic radial button spinning.
    While I have no experience with the physical turning, I am imagine philofmars is probably right on this. ALTHOUGH, the radial buttons on the 24HD aren't bad either; I have no gripes at all with them. Just turn down the sensitivity of them to get them to respond a little more naturally.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the other hand the casing of the 24HD is interesting too (I like the fact you can put it in your lap).

Malifer mention an antiglare problem? I research that a bit and couldn't find much ( a few cases of people experiencing bad anti glare)... Has anyone here have some experience with this?

Thanks for the answers so far!

-Brun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Syle View Post
    While I have no experience with the physical turning, I am imagine philofmars is probably right on this. ALTHOUGH, the radial buttons on the 24HD aren't bad either; I have no gripes at all with them. Just turn down the sensitivity of them to get them to respond a little more naturally.
    He's right. And I would LOVE to pull the 22 down into my lap like you can the 24. But I was surprised at how naturally I was spinning the 22 on the desk like I would a drawing pad. I didn't even realize I was doing it for the first 15 minutes until I spun it completely 180 to do a curve on the top.
    I think an ergo arm might be the way to go for me. I just don't like anything to take me out of the moment.

I don't have issue with the screen. I thought I would, but I think the whole thing is just fabulous.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I've made my decision, being the 24HD. I called to a local Wacom dealer (which is a 6 hour drive from here, so local is perhaps not such a good word, but its the closest one). I asked him the same questions, he then provided me with some very straight forward and honest answers.

When I asked him about the screens he told me that while its true that the 22HD has a better contrast ratio and luminance the 24HD has a better color range (92 percent Abobe RGB) and its display is apparently sharper. Color is extremely important in my line of work so my choice went for the 24HD. I also believe that the casing will suit me better, comfort wise. Although I still believe that the 22HD is just extremely good especially for its price. (Here in Europe I can get a really good price for the 24HD, basically its going to cost me 2000 dollars). Anyways I'm buying the cintiq so that I can use it for at least 5 to 8 years, after that there will be another bigger / better version so there's no need to go for the 24HD TOUCH, unless my greedy mind caves in at the last moment

I'll probebly have it in a week or two, when I do I'll leave some kind of review here.

Cheers,

Brun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you test them out at that Wacom dealer you mentioned?

Also, make sure to get a warranty.

EDIT: an extended warranty.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Syle View Post
    Can you test them out at that Wacom dealer you mentioned?

Also, make sure to get a warranty.

EDIT: an extended warranty.
    I can, but I'm not sure if I'm going to drive all the way over there. 6 hours is quite a big drive, so going there, and going back will be 12 hours + Spending at least an hour over there, eating something on the way, etc. that would be a 14 hour trip. Which will cost me gasoline too! Believe me, I want to go over there to test the different models. Given the little free time I have as a illustrator / concept artist I don't think I'm going to have that trip. But who knows perhaps...

Members who have read this thread: 1