Art: Logo Design Critique
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Logo Design Critique

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Logo Design Critique

I was hoping to get some feedback on my logo I whipped up for a personal website I'm creating. It's been forever since I've done any design or illustrating, I'm trying to get back on the metaphorical horse any tips would be appreciated.

Name:  D Logo copy.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  38.4 KB Name:  Duck.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  Blog Header web copy.gif
Views: 1237
Size:  16.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Getting kind of close to this I think.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was actually afraid of that, when I had sketched thumbnails of the D with the egg I liked the fact that it had a Darkwing Duck vibe to it. When I went to make the Banner on the bottom as a placeholder I used the Banco font and tailored it to match the D I had made. The Banco lettering I'm going to drop, any suggestions for just the D to improve it and hopefully get away from being so close to the Darkwing logo?

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, maybe going into your fonts in Word, type in Devious Duck, and see what comes from it. Then if you see one that looks good, modify that font with the purpose and message you wish to communicate to the viewer.

What identity do you wish you relay?
    What kind of impression do you want a potential client to come away with after visiting your site?

Things such as that.

Hope that helps. I'm still rather green in the GD field and am in the midst of studying on my own before I start a certificate program to give me the basics.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the feedback. I definitely need to sit down and put some more thought into the impression I want the design to make, it really doesn't say enough on its own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should try to avoid having the same D for devious and duck, unless it's a really clear font and for a good reason (if duck would be written vertically and devious horizontally). Also, work on the colour scheme for maximum contrast and impact - the green outline is barely visible. You could try sticking to tried and proven colour schemes, like complementary colours (or check this http://colorschemedesigner.com/ ).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHuffer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHuffer View Post
    You should try to avoid having the same D for devious and duck, unless it's a really clear font and for a good reason (if duck would be written vertically and devious horizontally). Also, work on the colour scheme for maximum contrast and impact - the green outline is barely visible. You could try sticking to tried and proven colour schemes, like complementary colours (or check this http://colorschemedesigner.com/ ).
    Would agree with this 100%

Keep going! It's a good start but not quite there yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like the off beat colors.. though i think the text would look nicer if the letter spacing was reduced.. The green-black stroke on each alphabet should merge a little while the actual yellow alphabets stay distinct.. that normally helps logo-type like this...

Members who have read this thread: 1