Feature settings gets off track.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feature settings gets off track.

I found out I like the smeary round tool. Fun little brush to use and kinda makes a good semi-mix/blocking in brush. However I noticed after using it for a while that the feature settings doesn't stay consistent. For example, when the brush is at the size of 22 the feature setting is at 4. Now I make it smaller and change the size a bit while I paint and maybe a few minutes later I notice my brush strokes are showing up more (which is something I don't want as much usually) and so I put the size back to 22 and I find out that now my feature is at 6. Why is this? Also why do airbrush tools "lighten" up my canvas/everything on it when I choose the brush sometimes? I find it annoying and I want that off.

PS: If I can't fix the feature setting what kind of brush could I use that works similar? I don't like artists oils that much because when I blend I get these sharp brush strokes in the blend and that usually requires me to blend those in after. I like the smear effect with smeary round since it is soft when it blends and such.

Last edited by My57; October 8th, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
    My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go to Edit - Preferences - General

You can check "Disable Feature Scaling when resizing the brush"

Basically feature is how many bristles, the more you got - at larger sizes it will slow down the brush. So they added in scaling to help with performance.

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No I do want feature scaling but it doesn't scale at a nice uniform way. I like how it scales at first but after a while it changes the way it scales. If I switch it off and I set the scaling to something the works with a small size it won't work the same with a large size. I guess I'll just have to use 1 brush for detail and one for larger blocking in?

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fes is offline Level Up - All Access Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No the feature scaling has a bug in it. I have made two brush variants (one big, one small) with scaling turned off to work around it as well. Be nice if they fixed it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this an official bug? - Also I find that this bug doesn't show up that much for the flat smeary oil brush. Works fairly nicely for me small or big. I like how it works more than the round one anyways.

Also what about that airbrush complaint I made as well? Is that a bug? Really annoying. I'm afraid of using the airbrush tools because of it.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fes is offline Level Up - All Access Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if it's "official". I think it's been mentioned on the Painter Factory board which Corel reads. I don't know about your airbrush complaint... I haven't read it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw sad. It's in the main post D:

But when I use the airbrush tool it tends to lighten up all the colours on my canvas when I select it. Kinda looks like a white film. It tends to happen quite a bit. Makes me afraid of using it >.> - Not sure if it happens with the painter 12 brush library. I was using Painter 11 version and now started using painter 12. So far haven't had it happen. Had it happen with brushes that have that 3d paint texture on them though. Good thing I don't like using them anyways >.<

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by My57 View Post
    But when I use the airbrush tool it tends to lighten up all the colours on my canvas when I select it. Kinda looks like a white film. It tends to happen quite a bit. Makes me afraid of using it >.> - Not sure if it happens with the painter 12 brush library. I was using Painter 11 version and now started using painter 12. So far haven't had it happen. Had it happen with brushes that have that 3d paint texture on them though. Good thing I don't like using them anyways >.<
    you're talking about impasto, which adds a layer of 3D depth data, lit in realtime.
    I'm not sure what is the reason behind the whole screen lightening, but both painter and artrage have a slight value shift when using it,
    artrage has it to a lesser extent though.

airbrush tools (and there're a few dozens airbrush presets in any recent painter release) normally don't use impasto.
    you should go under windows -> brush settings -> impasto and check that your "draw to" value is "color", not anything depth based.

next time, it would be a good idea to spend a minute and make screenshots, illustrating your issue, because "airbrush tool lightens my canvas" doesn't say much.
    if it was any oil or acrylic brush, impasto would be the first guess for many long time users, but airbrushes never use it by default,
    so must be you tweaked them sometime and forgot.

on the feature scaling bug - make sure you have all 3 current painter updates installed and reset your workspace after that (hold shift while starting painter)

it was released in a totally broken state, and than was patched up to a semi-broken with the bugfixes/updates.
    I don't use it at all and prefer to mouse-drag the feature slider as I paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh okay I will reset my workspace then. Thanks for the info. Kinda sucks I need to make my lovely layout again

Next time I will do screenshots. I've been busy with school and such so doing something like that slipped my mind. Next I'll be sure to do it. - ohhh just did it. Working so far. Thank you. Extremely happy now.

And I don't know about my airbrush thing, I never edited the impasto settings on it and it seems like the brush I used from the painter 11 set didn't have colour and depth selected. Well hopefully the reset changes all that. I plan on staying in the Painter 12 set anyways. To much lag switching between sets sometimes >.>

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can export custom brushes, keyboard shortcuts and palette arrangements as well

(you can export the whole workspace, but I personally never do it anymore.
    I prefer exporting workspace elements ( = brushes, papers, etc.) one by one to a dedicated folder on my mac after few years of weird painter buggery with workspaces since they were introduced in painter X.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh I lied it didn't fix it I think. But anyways is there a way to get Artists Oils to blend based on pen pressure? More pressure more paint kind of thing. I like Oils because it smears based on how light I touch and applies paint when I press harder. Is there away for Artists Oils to do this? The only thing that I have done to them to get it to work similar is changing opacity to pressure. I really like artists oils because of the lack of bristles and how lovely they mix. But it bothers me that I have to wait for the paint to be applied first.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    > But anyways is there a way to get Artists Oils to blend based on pen pressure?

no.
    unlike other brushes that have bleed/resaturation dynamically controllable by a number of variables,
    artists oils work as a freshly loaded brush that eventually runs out of paint.

it's possible to map brush opacity to pen pressure, but I hate how artists oils brushes respond to it,
    there's nothing like fluid and natural range of other rendered brushes there.
    (same with artists oils and brush size. artrage coders got that one right)

you might want to give palette knives a try, but having an intuos tablet is a must for those, and 4d art pen is highly recommended.
    (you'll have to deal with feature settings, tho)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah I do have have an intuos 5. And I do not like how artists oils work with opacity. *sigh* Suppose I can try with palette knife. Artists Oils make the same shape when you set the angle to bearing so it shouldn't be too different. Still like Artists oils though. Might use it wit the Palette knife.

What kind of brushes do you usually use? I've been using the basic round brush and airbrush for rendering at the moment while I play around with the fancier brushes...

http://christmassocks.deviantart.com/#/d4ybmyp

^^^
    This is the kind of style I want to achieve with my brushes. I have a feeling he is using artists oils along with something else. Not sure. But I like how "solid" it looks. Well this is what I want to achieve when I fully render something. Not to say I want his style. His is very statue looking (which I really like though).

EDIT: Figured out he uses detail oil and some custom round brush. Dunno what the custom round brush is still >.>

Last edited by My57; October 14th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure he's using any special custom brushes, just a basic round one with bleed/resat tailored to his taste
    his painting is pretty basic in terms of brushes, but he spends a lot of time getting volumes and light to look right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He apparently does use some custom round brush and I'm just curious because I'm alright with what I have but I haven't found a lot of brushes that blend the way I really would like. I guess I'm just picky >.> - I do love basic round though. And Just add water is amazing. I plan on scanning some textures I've made and using them though. Dunnoooo I guess I'm just picky

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.