1500$ illustration/video computer
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1500$ illustration/video computer

Hi I want to get a new pc as the one i have is 6-7 years old and can barelly run cs4

my budget including the screen is 1500$

i will run photoshop, illustrator, in design, after effect and premiere pro all cs5 and obviously id like to touch cs6 this summer. I want to bennefit from the gpu accelaration if possible

so basicly im doing design and some painting work on toshop and a bit of video editing. And I want to be able to work on zbrush maya or 3dsmax if ever a client asked it or that i needed it but i doubp it. so rendering is not very important but at least to be able to render even if it takes 1 or 2 days is fine.

so here is what i have

Box ATX ANTEC THREE HUNDRED TWO NOIR 75.00

cpu INTEL CORE I5 3570 3.40G/6M/S1155 $219.63

3 hard drive meaning 1 ssd for the programs 1 hd for storage and imput file and one hd for scratch disk and outputfiles (output input is for videos editing)
    ssd 2.5 SATA3 120.0 KINGSTON SSD HYPERX 199.00

hd SATA3 500.0 W.D 7200 16M WD5000AAKX BLEU $65.00

hd SATA3 500.0 W.D 7200 16M WD5000AAKX BLEU $65.00

motherboard S1155 ASUS P8Z77-V LX Z77 $145.00

optique DVD+/-RW LG GH24NS90 SATA DL 24X OEM NOIR $29.00

cooler(opt) 625W ATX COOLER MASTER EXTREME II POWER $69.00

Ram KINGSTON KVR 1333MHZ DDR3 16GO KIT CL9 $85.00 16 gig of ram because i like to open toshop+illustrator at same time

videocard ASUS PCIE GF GTX650 DC 1024M BTE DDR5 129.00 i never worked dual screen but would like to try.

Please tell me is this overkill or is this cool. I like to play music or video while i work sometimes.

is i5 quad core really fine with me or i7 way better. i heard cpu is more important than gpu for what im doing. 2d work with some video editing and effects.

for the screen. if I can get a true colour 16bits would be great. like for 200$

i can work 5 hour straight on t he pc and i dont play games, i would like but always forget to. so games not important. and I need wireless connection too. so probably a router eh ?

Please let me know if this can be a good setup or could i even go lower, as not needing a steady state drive.

I think I could set up the computer my self if not i have to pay 200$ extra for the shop to do it but if they do it its sure to work and i get 2 year garantee and a windows 7 cd.

My sister can borrow me her windows 7 though and i want to try linux

is linux good to run cs5-cs6?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if I had all the money in the world i would want a mac.

i saw I could get for the same price a mac but the advantage that i would get is I have a better screen (mac screen) but I would only be able to get 1 internal hd, no scratch disk. and i would pay 200$ for macs service and garanties cuz i know less about macs

http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/MC309LL/A

2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac- Auto-enroll

obviously the pc specs are better but the apple as better screen and i guess better hardwere and maybe im payying 10 PERCENT extra for the brand ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can actually get a as good hardware in the PC than in the iMac, the ''Macs are better than PCs'' argument is no longer true nowadays. It's all a matter of preference and budget (with some good hardware knowledge)

Personally, you're going to sacrifying too much things for the sake of getting a Mac. Especially in terms of storage (the SSD is definitevely a huge performance boost for the entire system) and the possible future upgrade (you can't do that on an iMac and if any components happened to be defective, you have to return the entire product, unlike a PC setup where you would just replace the missing component). Also you have a much weaker graphic component (that is suposed to be found on laptops) compared to the GTX 650, which may hurt your productivity if you ever do 3D rendering on Maya/Autodesk.

It's your choice, but I wouldnt recommend a iMac for you imo.

Last edited by druesnant; October 8th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in the same boat as you, a mate of mine is helping me pick the best parts for my needs at the best value.

I honestly wouldn't go near a Mac with a fifty-foot pole for anything 3D related, after two years of pain at my uni using them for Maya, well spec'ed Macs, I wouldn't use them for 3D ever again (Had issues of them crashing regularly, on over 20 different computers)

Anyway, these are the specs I'm looking at, will start production in 1-2 months when I finish up and have a bit of moolah saved.

Part Part Name Price Amount Link

Mobo ASUS SABERTOOTH-Z77 ATX Motherboard $249 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8977
    PSU Corsair TX-650 ATX Power Supply Unit $112 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=4990
    CPU Intel i7-3770 LGA1155 IVY Bridge Boxed CPU $298 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8968
    RAM Patriot Viper PV316G186C0K 16G Kit(8Gx2) DDR3 1866 $119 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=9420
    GPU GIGABYTE GV-N56GOC-1GI 1GB GTX560 PCI-E VGA Card $159 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7901
    HDD(OS) Intel 520 Series 120GB SATA3 Solid-state Drive $139 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8641
    HDD(Storage) Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 2TB SATA3 7200rpm $99 2 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8876
    DVD Drive LG Blu-Ray Combo $55 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=5531
    Case Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Mid Tower without PSU $135 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8211

Total $1,464 Price is as of 3/10/2012

There's links there... However I'm relatively lazy right now and really should be doing homework... So I'll assume you're capable of copying the links into your browser. lol.

Anyway, I'm wanting to use this machine for Digital painting/3D/video editing.

I'm not including monitor/keyboard into my budget, as I already have them and am happy to live a month or two before having a final setup with better screens.

Programs I plan to use:
    All of CS6 - Including using CUDA in After Effects.
    Maya, 3DS Max, zBrush, Vue, mudbox.
    Painter
    Sketchup

Potential for 3 monitors, mainly need 2.

I'd honestly go the extra mile and get the i7 CPU, it'll be more future-proof.

As for Linux, no idea if it even supports CS5-6???
    If I were you, I'd just set it up for dual boot so you could boot into either windows or linux on startup, or run it though a virtual machine.

goodluck.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the waking ghost, what is your video card and how much yr paying ? or is your videocard integrated graphic from the processor and motherboard?

So you say that if i buy i7 it will help me for the future.

So guys in a way if I get i7 it could be overkill now but in the future like 3 years later, it can be a good invest for me, like let say cs7 comes out. Definitely for 1500$ what i can get for a pc will be better for what i want to do.

Other then that is my specs good. is 16gig of ram an off? I read on some forum that 16gig is considered peanuts now a day. they where talking from video editing point of view.

dude walkinghost i see that you put 50$ more then me on power supply. is it worth it ? did your friend told you its a better idea ? yr motherboard is also more expensive then mine too.

ANyway peace guy, hopefully that is a good pc for me and if I can go even cheaper and be good, will be chill cuz i never know if i might have to cut on my budget.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by setsuna801 View Post
    the waking ghost, what is your video card and how much yr paying ? or is your videocard integrated graphic from the processor and motherboard?

So you say that if i buy i7 it will help me for the future.

So guys in a way if I get i7 it could be overkill now but in the future like 3 years later, it can be a good invest for me, like let say cs7 comes out. Definitely for 1500$ what i can get for a pc will be better for what i want to do.

Other then that is my specs good. is 16gig of ram an off? I read on some forum that 16gig is considered peanuts now a day. they where talking from video editing point of view.

dude walkinghost i see that you put 50$ more then me on power supply. is it worth it ? did your friend told you its a better idea ? yr motherboard is also more expensive then mine too.

ANyway peace guy, hopefully that is a good pc for me and if I can go even cheaper and be good, will be chill cuz i never know if i might have to cut on my budget.
    This is the video card (GPU - Graphics Processing Unit): GPU GIGABYTE GV-N56GOC-1GI 1GB GTX560 PCI-E VGA Card $159 1 http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7901

No, it isn't intergrated graphics.
    I was thinking of getting 2 of them for SLI for faster graphics processing, but the cost to speed wasn't worth it in reality.

Yes. The i7 CPU will benefit you so much more! Especially if you plan to use 3D in the future, not only for quicker rendering but also for more fluid workflow once you get into high poly work.
    In the long run, it'll do you much better and will also mean you won't need to upgrade for even longer say 3-5 years depending on your demands.

16GB Ram is fine, May I suggest getting 2x 8Gb sticks instead of 4x4GB? Why? because the mobo you're looking at can support upto 32GB RAM, if you ever needed that, you'd have to purchase 32GB RAM upfront, whereas if you already have 2x 8GB sticks, you just need to get another 2 8GB sticks of the same type! Cheaper in the long run.
    I work with 16Gb atm on my laptop and it's all I need or the time being, After effects is the killer when it comes to RAM!
    I tend to have Maya, photoshop, After Effects, firefox, VLC and multiple windows open on dual screens and the 16GB RAM handles it fine!

The mobo is more expensive as it can support up to 10 internal HDD's/SSD's... I'll have to to start with and eventually add more as I plan to work in 3D predominantly, so to potentially have 9x 2TB drives @7200 and a SSD for the boot drive will be great in the future, run it via Raid and it'll be faster too. I'm planning on having a lot of space for rendering.... plus it has like 16 USB ports...

The PSU is for the potential powering of the unit if I ever have so much hardware in it... The extra $50 is most likely just inflation...

I'd suggest waiting a bit longer and see if you can put aside another ~$200 to get the 8GB sticks of RAM honestly and whatever else...

My friend is the head of IT at a college, he's bloody 20 years old... A goddamn prodigy, so I'm definitely trusting his word.
    This will be my first build, however I have pulled apart and upgraded my laptops heaps so I know a bit about what I'm talking about. :p

www.travismillar.com

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can save yourself about $100 if you're not some extreme overclocker (though you can clock these too) Now if you're going to have a higher resolution monitor then I guess on the ontboard you want a higher resolution. But usually I would use my graphics card for that. I noticed you said it's for more HDDs but...eh...that's debatable if you need that many. I usually just save to external for backup of my files - I don't think I'll ever need that much space and keep a backup of the OS drive in case of a crash.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro....aspx?pid=4153 - Runs $150 and has mSata (which is handy for caching other drives)

If your Asus (I know the Gigabyte does and I use it) has mSata you can cache your Seagate drive with a cheaper ssd (just get one that is no larger than 60gb) Then you can split your program files that won't fit on the OS to the traditional HDD and other commonly used files.

If you're worried about monitors, get an IPS panel there are budget eIPS panels but they're still better than most TN panels.

http://amzn.com/B008DWITHI
    http://amzn.com/B0062K9LXE

For the OP if are not really planning on doing 3d then stick with your iCore5
    I find an SSD is more important for startup times and stability for illustrators than a faster core.

If you do go with a mobo with mSata don't worry about the mSata being SataIII
    Put the HDD (I'd get a 7200 Black or Barracuda) you want to cache on one of the Sata III ports if it's Sata III, put in the mSATA on the board, and then set to Raid and let IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) accelerate the drive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so arches yr saying. if i dont plan to do 3d. I am better of saving money on the processor buy keeping i5 instead of i7 and iinstead put my money on getting a ssd drives. and maybe extram rams. Really is an SSD that helpful when working on after effect, premiere and windows ? cuz I was planning of installing on the ssd, my windows 7 + linux(want to try) and all my cs5 suits and 3dsmax. other software will be installed on the 500gb storage and my other 500gb will be used as an empty Scratch disk.

walking ghost so u survive with 16gb for adobe after effect. so did you crash often or its workable, or is it fast.

im somewhat on budget so maybe i wont buy the ssd and isntead ill just have 3 hdds of 500go each and update later when ssd is cheaper like in 1 or 2 years. and anyway computers that are new are very fast anyway right ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so arches yr saying. if i dont plan to do 3d. I am better of saving money on the processor buy keeping i5 instead of i7 and iinstead put my money on getting a ssd drives. and maybe extram rams. Really is an SSD that helpful when working on after effect, premiere and windows ? cuz I was planning of installing on the ssd, my windows 7 + linux(want to try) and all my cs5 suits and 3dsmax. other software will be installed on the 500gb storage and my other 500gb will be used as an empty Scratch disk.

walking ghost so u survive with 16gb for adobe after effect. so did you crash often or its workable, or is it fast.

im somewhat on budget so maybe i wont buy the ssd and isntead ill just have 3 hdds of 500go each and update later when ssd is cheaper like in 1 or 2 years. and anyway computers that are new are very fast anyway right ?
    You can still do a lot of stuff with an i5 CPU, the newer Ivy Bridge i5's can rival the the first gen Sandy Bridge i7's...

I survive fine with 16GB, sure, I have crashes, but that's bound to happen. If ever it's because of over-heating (usually have the computer running 2-20 hours a day), these crashes are only ever in Photoshop and After Effects, and Flash all the time, but Flash has always been buggy as hell!
    However they crash say 4 or so times a month, Flash though, like 12 times per session... So buggy!

Definitely get 2x 8GB sticks, if you ever need to upgrade it'll be cheaper for you essentially.

HDD's sound like the way to go, mate.

www.travismillar.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 months ago i wanted to get a laptop for 1500$ but I think the quality would not have being an off for the thing si want to do, and i heard battery life is not good on laptops if your doing heavy work like this. Well you would be the person to ask walkingghost cuz you experienced using laptop right ? how much yours costed and was it worth it ? cuz i see now yr getting a desktop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually pleae tell me what do you think of my current setup, is it really outdated or i guess some outside source caused my problem. its really slow and can lags very very often and for 3dsmax just opening it for 3 mins lag.

pentium 4 cpu 3.06ghz
    1 go of ram

windows xp serv pack 2

graphic card
    intel g945 express chipset familly 256mb
    150gb hard drive
    1 dvd burner

its a dell e520 dimention

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Illustration programs are less processor dependent. It but your brush strokes won't be faster because you have the latest CPU. I have an icore3 processor on a laptop and paint just fine. My old build used an old Quadro before the icores went out. There's no real difference. I'm not sitting there wishing "it would paint better"

The only difference is if you're doing more video rendering, then yeah...I'd suggest a newer icore but you'd use the LGA 2011 ones since that's what they're made for. The LGA 1155 are for more gaming. I went with the LGA1155 because time is not detrimental for my video processing.

SSDs have a better lifespan than HDD. This is why I suggest you get one for your OS drive. Don't defrag an SSD since it doesn't need it.

Your current setup...I'll say it's time to upgrade just for longevity purposes. I mean think about how old XP is now, over 10 years at least. Also Windows7 tends to be much more nicer to you (I think it depends if its OEM though, but haven't heard people having issues with that) when you do major hardware changes.

My newer build is actually using my cloned OS. I just moved all the files off to another HDD, moved to SDD - changed the processor and motherboard. I just just allow it to go through and add in the new drivers.

It all depends what you want your desktop to do.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 8th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im a big fan of how fluids maxs are, and so fast, i use them at school. I also use the pcs at school. but powerful but god oh god i love the mac but i dont have the money. But i like my operation system to be fast. I want my desctop mostly for graphic design, illustration, painting,pphoto manipulation. Obviously I am thinking of trying videos next semester because i have a class on that. and I did some 3d in the past no matter what i do i hate it but if I would get a commission for it, i want to be able to do the minimum, probly more architectural then characters.

If It works well I would install the Os lion on the i5 or i7. I heard linux is kool so I would want to try that if os lion is not good an off.

SO is it really worth it the ssd. I mean i have had the hdd on the computer i am using now for so long and never had a problem. well ive had moments were because of lags my screen went blue but i dont know if thats a hdd issue. so i believe the newer hdd will be even better then the one i had. so thats why i think its an off. I've never had a hdd in my life break down. only time it happened was with an external drive it stop working after 6months.

BUt is the ssd really better for the operation system+programs or is it better for scratch disk.

In my situation ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The SSD is definitvely a good choice to install the OS + softwares on it, since the load times are a lot shorter than with a current HDD. I would either recommend Samsung or Intel for the brands (don't go for OCZ since they have a bigger failure rate and also have a reputation of screwing you over when it comes to the warranty).

I don't really see the reason of installing Hackintosh on your future computer, since Windows 7 is just plain fine in terms of software compatibility and the UI. To me, it really sounds you're amazed by the Macs, mostly because your computer setup is like from 2003-2004 (by judging your current specs). But really you won't see a huge difference between your future new setup and an iMac.

As for IPS panel monitors, LG (for low-cost IPS monitors), Dell and HP are good brands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is really load time the only big adventage of ssd ? cuz for my budget, I would rather have something is gonna supress some lagging and slowness during the working. I think i should be fine with the normal hdd. and i can always update later. i would prefer to put the money on a monitor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchPencil View Post
    The SSD is definitvely a good choice to install the OS + softwares on it, since the load times are a lot shorter than with a current HDD. I would either recommend Samsung or Intel for the brands (don't go for OCZ since they have a bigger failure rate and also have a reputation of screwing you over when it comes to the warranty).
    It all depends. But yes there have been some terrible OCZ ones. You want Synchronous NAND vs Non Synchronous NAND, Some people also hate/love the Sandforce controllers which most other drives have. So yeah there's a bit of brand loyalty in play too.

Traditional HDDs tend to fail about 5 years. SSD have a longer lifespan and generally what happens is that it just can no longer write anymore - but your data is still there. You can at least copy it to a new drive.

Having said that, because SSDs are a bit of the new kid on the block sometimes data recovery can be a bit more tricky with SSD vs HDD.

While startup times are not *terrible* if you're used to waiting for a few minutes - I had used my old WD drive before cloning it to an SSD. It took several minutes for launch, and programs took a bit to load.

SSD my launch time From booting up to getting into Windows (to run programs) is now averaging 24 seconds.

Programs that generally take a bit longer to launch are near instant with the SSD.

You could get a hybrid drive but, even my hybrid was a bit slow on other aspects since it only had 4GB of NAND compared to an SSD. Fortunately, it only cos 75 dollars to try it, and it went to a laptop which benefits from it.

One other thing to note is the more RAM you have, the larger your pagefile.sys gets and you want to take steps in reducing it. I have 32gb of ram and the system wanted to leave a pagesys file of 32gb on my drive. I reduced it to 2gb.

I think you'll be fine with an LGA1155 socket and processor. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything extremely complex what would warrant the 2011 socket. If you're mostly doing photomanip and illustration - icore5 will suit you fine. If you want to get the icore7 then I suppose you can go for it, and get the model gigabyte I listed earlier.

One other thing about your Antec, some of the illusion cases have a grounding issue where you may get feedback in the front headphone ports. I used to get a weird whine/feedback when I was using the Realtek audio, haven't heard it with the Gigabyte board I posted earlier.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 8th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so in a way i will see more speed in program launching if i get an ssd instead of hdd. but i will have shorter rendering time for 3d and videos if i get an i7 instead of i5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so in a way i will see more speed in program launching if i get an ssd instead of hdd. but i will have shorter rendering time for 3d and videos if i get an i7 instead of i5
    Yes. However, it also depends on your graphics card. In addition the gains may not even be that much.

I mean some benches show a 3 second difference. To me that's really not much or something that will save your life.

I build my own PCs - and yes I'm female. I end up doing like a week or 2 research before I go into upgrade fever.

I have a 128gb Sata III SSD - $70
    1 mSATA 60 gb SSD used for caching - $60
    GA-z77x-u3dh Mobo - $150
    iCore 3770k - $300
    32GB Ram - $140 (16 is fine I just got mine on special/rebate)
    Using a TB Green Drive (I've had the drive for a while but never physically used it - from old build) $80-100 (can't remember from old purchase)
    Antec 300 Illusion case (from my old build still works) - $40 (when I purchased)
    Apevia Warlock 750 Watt (it's from my old build still works) - $80 when I purchased
    My video card which scores the lowest is actually an entry level Quadro card. I was not really interested in gaming rigs and wanted to be able to do more on some 3D/CAD - $190

I also have a spare mobo I got for $100 (after rebate) It's the GA-z77x-3dh (which has 1 less audio port, 1 less video port and no On off Switch on the Motherboard or Debugging LED interface which is on the mobo I am using - but has 2 more SATAIII ports)

I'll probably replace the green drive with a 7200RPM drive but use the Green as a backup drive for my system images/document backup.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...5-3570k_7.html

Name:  computersystem.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  63.3 KB

Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 14th, 2012 at 12:39 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One other thing to note is the more RAM you have, the larger your pagefile.sys gets and you want to take steps in reducing it. I have 32gb of ram and the system wanted to leave a pagesys file of 32gb on my drive. I reduced it to 2gb.
    What is a pagesys file and how to recude it ?

So Lets say I want to install windows 7, it says that windows will take 2gb and needs 20gig. I suppose adobe photoshop cs5 or cs6 whole sweet might take a total of 10gig and probably needs 5-10go free ? other programs are really light so should take more then 4-5gig(scype,msn,Vcl for movies, windows media,Office)
    this makes a total of 47gig so if I have lets say a 60 gig SSd it means i would have 13gig free .If ever i need to install 3d s max i will install it in a hd drive since i wont use it often. Will a setup were i have a 60gig ssd with 13 gig free left, be ok for me to get the benefits of the ssd speeds or would i should have more go left like buying a 80gig ssd and havin 33gig left instead. I am asking from this question to those who used ssd and have been in the situation i am imagining.

Other then that i would have a 500gb hd for storage and input video files and a 500gb totally untouch for scratch disk and in worst case scenario used as backup

thanks arches for posting the stats.

I did not know you were a girl. I think both men and woman knows about computers but it is the first time a girl shows me things about a computer, I think that is cool . Eventually maybe that will happen to me in a real life face to face situation to. but til know its always guys who had show me computer stuff. You sure know yr things.

Oh and hos is 32 ram working for you ? thats a lot, why do you need that much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you might want to look at 120/128gb. A bit bigger space is better for the drive. Some will go 256 but if you can't afford one 120 should be good enough. Since I'm too lazy to do fresh installs (plus I have a lot of old programs I lost serial numbers/ and are a pain to install) I reduced my drive down to 80gb or so and just cloned the drive. It's important to note when I did install the SSD I had to take a few extra steps to change the mode of BIOS (in this case I just enabled RAID - because of SSD caching) and to do some registry tweak in Windows 7 - otherwise you'll get crash ahoy.

http://amzn.com/B0077CR60Q <-- This is a Samsung and as you can see it's about $90 which I think is a fair deal considering they're considered reliable.

For Pagefile.sys http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-eaecec820f3e

I reduce mine to 2gb because it's hardly likely I'll run out of RAM as you can see. So if you got 8gb or greater, 2gb should be sufficient for your pagefile.sys. You can also turn off hibernation if you don't use it.

32GB ram I can allocate it to certain programs Corel Painter 12 for example will take all of the RAM you allow it to allocate and won't release until the program shuts down. So if I have it at 1/4th it will take 8gb of my system RAM and not let go until I close the program. That's one of the few reasons I have so much RAM. I also keep a lot of programs open due to multi-tasking so it helps out. CS6 has 32bit and 64 bit programs - so if it wants to take more system RAM you can allow it to. I do have to say though it's not something I need often. I just don't like closing programs when I have to switch between them so often.

You never have to defragment nor should you ever (because it's bad for the drive) an SSD It doesn't have moving parts like a regular HDD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know i like to listen to music or listen to movie at same time. buts its rare that ill open more then 2 programs at t he same time. usually flash+toshop or illustrator +toshop, or in design+illustrator and soon will use after effect/premiere.

Maybe i might need 24gig of ram hehe.

does the rame have similar roles as the processors multicore in the case of opening many software.

How do you read the benchmark, i saw something called specs. I do understand the sec means seconds though.

Im probably not gonna build my own pc, I'm afraid to accidently fuck up something, i dont have much money. even though i have repaired watches broke maybe 5% of them. I have in the pas tchanged my rams and installed graphic cards but thats it. and Bios seems scary a bit. But doing it at the store obviously ill pay 200$ extra. +garanty and windows 7 cd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RAM helps speed up the time the CPU needs to read from your HDD. I have 2 monitors, so one Monitor I have my web browser in, the other is my art program. The reason is so that I can do things like gesture drawings. Have one monitor load reference, the other to work on it.

I think you'll be fine with 16gb in your case, just getting 2 8gb sticks.
    There are even combo deals too depending on how you shop. One of my motherboards gave me RAM for free.

As far as computer building, admittedly it's a bit scary at first since you don't want to mess things up. But I just wear an electrostatic wrist brace and ground myself. A good flashlight helps (but I have actually built them without it)

After building one, I can't have it any other way. I think it may be easier than other electronics mentioned in this thread. These days they try to make the parts a little more "idiot" proof too. Like you can tell connectors only go a certain way for example.

Below is an inside shot of my PC. I had an aftermarket fan for the CPU but it doesn't fit on this board. Fortunately these things run so cool a stock intel cooler works just fine. There is a bracket below, which is for the mSATA and I added it after the image.

There is a little LED on the motherboard that has debug codes. The orange light in the top right is a power button. Kinda handy to let me know it's all powered and working.

Name:  tumblr_magr13J5yS1rtkyl9o1_1280.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  537.7 KB

Name:  tumblr_magr13J5yS1rtkyl9o3_1280.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  672.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot for the info, now i can make a decision

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok here is the built I pay for today, and the store is doing it for me. I did not want to risk it so I am paying 200 extra including getting a mandatory copy of windows 7 home.

Computer For Cs5/Cs6 Photoshop Illustration Indesign and some After Effect, maybe premiere rarely 3dsmax

I will DO photomanipulations, design and Illustrations and I will play with videos a bit
    • System No 1 Intel 1155 120.42
    • 1 an garantie gratuit
    • 625 ATX Cooler master extreme II power
    • Boitier atx antec three hundred two noir 75.00
    • Intel core i7 2600K 3.40G/8M/S1155 299.00
    • Carte video Asus pcie gf gt650 dc 1024M BTE DDR5
    • (3x) Disque dur Sata3 500.0.W.D 7200 16M WD5000AAKX bleu 195.00
    • Cartemere S1155 Asus P8Z77-V LX Z77
    • OS Windows home premieum x64 oem an sp1 1pq 109.00
    • Optique DVD+/-RW LG GH24NS90 SATA DL 24X OEM Noir(black) 29.00
    • SIMM(ram) Kingston Hyperx BLU 1600MHZ DDR3 16Go Kit Cl10(2 x 8go) 89.00
    • Total: 1190.42 CAD = with GST $1368.68

So I think that this build will not be outdated for 5-8 years, only thing that will need change with time is hardrive and power supply or fan i suppose. hopefullt in 5-8years the hyperthreading will be very useful for me.

I plan to use cs6 for 2-3 years hopefully cuz i dont think they would do major update a this point.

I am only missing buying a new screen. The guy told me IPS screen is good for designers, is that tru ? i have found one for 218$ and one for 236$ before GST

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok here is the built I pay for today, and the store is doing it for me. I did not want to risk it so I am paying 200 extra including getting a mandatory copy of windows 7 home.

Computer For Cs5/Cs6 Photoshop Illustration Indesign and some After Effect, maybe premiere rarely 3dsmax

I will DO photomanipulations, design and Illustrations and I will play with videos a bit
    System No 1 Intel 1155 120.42
    1 an garantie gratuit
    625 ATX Cooler master extreme II power
    Boitier atx antec three hundred two noir 75.00
    Intel core i7 2600K 3.40G/8M/S1155 299.00
    Carte video Asus pcie gf gt650 dc 1024M BTE DDR5
    (3x) Disque dur Sata3 500.0.W.D 7200 16M WD5000AAKX bleu 195.00
    Cartemere S1155 Asus P8Z77-V LX Z77
    OS Windows home premieum x64 oem an sp1 1pq 109.00
    Optique DVD+/-RW LG GH24NS90 SATA DL 24X OEM Noir(black) 29.00
    SIMM(ram) Kingston Hyperx BLU 1600MHZ DDR3 16Go Kit Cl10(2 x 8go) 89.00
    Total: 1190.42 CAD = with GST $1368.68

So I think that this build will not be outdated for 5-8 years, only thing that will need change with time is hardrive and power supply or fan i suppose. hopefullt in 5-8years the hyperthreading will be very useful for me.

I plan to use cs6 for 2-3 years hopefully cuz i dont think they would do major update a this point.

I am only missing buying a new screen. The guy told me IPS screen is good for designers, is that tru ? i have found one for 218$ and one for 236$ before GST
    That looks fine, mate.

It should last you a few years without hassle.

Adobe generally update every ~2 - 3 years... Even then, it'll be capable of running CS7 I imagine.

You may find video editing tiresome after a while, particularly After Effects, so you may want to get extra 2x 8GB RAM one day (if you're going to get really heavy into video editing/special effects)

This will defiantly last you ~5+ years fine.

Maybe one day invest in an SSD too... Would speed things up considerably.

As for a screen, I have no idea. Sorry.

All the best. Enjoy your computer!

www.travismillar.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know in school, people were working on files from 1-3mins from 500mb to 1gb. The school had 8gb of ram and something like a lower i7 280 2.800 ghz. plus gotta deal with the server. a lot said it was slow one who knows how to save is ressources and speed was ok

with what i have compared to those parameters.

for 1-3mins 500mb to 1gb I should be way faster i guess right ?

but later in life i i make videos they would be max 5mins, im thinking more videos clips and commercials style, not much interested in doing movies.

So walking ghost u told me i have an off.

you work with 16gb i think ? I saw your video on the web. those are done with yr setup right ?

why would i had 16ram more ?

I do have 2 slots empty but to get them i gotta update to win 7 pro, i got win 7 home for now. 32gb seems like it could be over kill no ?

I got 3 hd, 1 program+windows one scratch one for files and i actually have an old 4 years one could be use for extra backup and scratch. or output for video.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would invest in an SSD. Not only is it faster, they usually have better life span than 3 hard drives.

Hard drives have moving parts, SSDs do not. Provided there are no other kinds of failure when an SSD stops working it just means it can't write anymore you can still access the data, you just can't modify it.

From what I understand the failure rate or time an SSD drive dies may be about 20 years and you're likely to upgrade before the drive dies whereas a hdd is likely to die within 5 years.

http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me he SSD was a luxury to my student budget but in 1-2 years when i can make money working I would want to upgrade to ssd. And maybe graphic cards also if ever that was nessesary.

have you guys heard of IPS screens ? a guy told me those are very good to designers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me he SSD was a luxury to my student budget but in 1-2 years when i can make money working I would want to upgrade to ssd. And maybe graphic cards also if ever that was nessesary.

have you guys heard of IPS screens ? a guy told me those are very good to designers
    Yet you don't really need 3 500gb hdds you could have gone with an SSD and a good 5000 HDD regular. That was overkill imo.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...79#post3550479 We already discussed them in this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually i did a last min change, for the budget i have. i dont have the ssd budget. if i constructed the machine myself yeah i would have had the budget. So last minute i took 1 hdd off and i replaced it for windows 7 professional. A HDD was 65$ CAD and to upgrade from home to pro it was 60$ CAD. I took Pro because it gives me the option to go beyoung 16gb of ram if i needed. On windows home 16gb ram is the maximum. ANd also if ever i get the money one day ill buy a 3rd HD as an ssd and Id like to buy a 160gb at least or 2x80gb.

So Ill have one 500 for windows , one 500 for files and 2 old hard drives one 120gb and one 80GB 7200 drive as my scratches.

and later if i have money i can buy more ram and an sad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1