1500$ illustration/video computer - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1500$ illustration/video computer

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds reasonable. I just honestly didn't see a reason for the 3rd drive since most of the time you won't need that. You can create a system image of your OS in case something happens, store it somewhere else. File backup can be managed many different ways as well.

The only time I "really need" the RAM is Corel Painter 12. It seizes the max amount you allow it to (in preferences) and won't let go until you close the program.

For example, if you tell it that it can utilize 50% of your available RAM on your system of 16GB, it will take 8 and not let go until the program is closed.

Since I do a lot of multi-tasking it's why I just maxed out the amount of RAM I could put in the system.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Building your own computer was actually way more rewarding and a lot less expensive (while giving you better specs) than a pre-built, but what's done is now done.

Also don't plan on buying several small storage SSDs, a single 128-180GB will be enough to install the OS+softwares.

Last edited by druesnant; October 15th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well frenchpencil I was really to afraid to build it myself, cuz i read some people who accidently did things wrong and fucked up their processor or other component, i was afraid. i do think i have an off knowledge to do it. I installed my own ram, hhdd and video card 6 years ago on my pc. and i repaired whatch for 1 year( broke some of them) I really did not want to risk it. when i checked the prices i could have saved max 100-150$ which i could have added on my monitor butched (250) 250+150=400$ monitor).

I used to paint with corel i might come back to that.

I had 3 hdd because i read on a website that its good to have 1 for os+programs 1 for storage and 1 for scratch disk

and i read on another site or forum that you need 1 for os 1 for input files and one for output files for video editing, and i saw some hard core video editor with 5 hods and 32 rams.

so i figured hmm i should get 3 hdds. and i might use 3 but ill use one of my old ones which is only 140gb and is older. ill use it as a scratch disk until its life span is dead and then ill try an ssd.

what are other advantage with windows 7 pro that home 7 dont have except the fact i can have 32gb of ram?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how do you make an image of your system os ? does that means you keep everything the same way it was after a reformat ?

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by setsuna801 View Post
    how do you make an image of your system os ? does that means you keep everything the same way it was after a reformat ?
    Well ...yes and no. It depends when you did the save.

I used this. I used it to transfer my OS to the SSD.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know in school, people were working on files from 1-3mins from 500mb to 1gb. The school had 8gb of ram and something like a lower i7 280 2.800 ghz. plus gotta deal with the server. a lot said it was slow one who knows how to save is ressources and speed was ok

with what i have compared to those parameters.

for 1-3mins 500mb to 1gb I should be way faster i guess right ?

but later in life i i make videos they would be max 5mins, im thinking more videos clips and commercials style, not much interested in doing movies.

So walking ghost u told me i have an off.

you work with 16gb I think ? I saw your video on the web. those are done with yr setup right ?

why would i had 16ram more ?

I do have 2 slots empty but to get them i gotta update to win 7 pro, i got win 7 home for now. 32gb seems like it could be over kill no ?

I got 3 hd, 1 program+windows one scratch one for files and i actually have an old 4 years one could be use for extra backup and scratch. or output for video.
    Yes, those video's were made using 16GB RAM.

I had trouble at times when I was using 98% of my RAM in After Effects, this is on some other projects which I haven't uploaded to YouTube yet.
    These projects have heaps of added effects and particle effects which I preview (After Effects uses the RAM to preview/playback videos), So the files were heavy and required a lot of RAM for me to preview them.

In my current setup, http://thewalkingghost.deviantart.co...pace-329582540 I have 16GB RAM in the Big one and 8GB in the little.
    Most of the work was done on the big one.

I will be selling the big one, taking the 16GB RAM out, put the 8GB from the little one in it and then put the 16GB in the little laptop.

I'll use the money from the large laptop as money for my desktop.

With the desktop, I'll start with 16GB, and then get 32GB a few weeks later.

Basically, for what you're wanting to do, 16GB will be fine, as Arshes Nei states about Painter, it uses HEAPS of RAM, or whatever you allocate.
    However if you're wanting to do video editing, then one day if you ever feel it needs it, an upgrade to 32GB RAM could help.

32GB would be overkill now, but who knows what your needs will be in the future?

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah! now i have windows 7 pro. and I got 2 x 8 gb but i have 2 slots empty if ever i need. How much gb those photoshot use in the scratch disk i wonder?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah! now i have windows 7 pro. and I got 2 x 8 gb but i have 2 slots empty if ever i need. How much gb those photoshot use in the scratch disk i wonder?
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at earlier.

In PS, go to EDIT>PREFERENCES>PERFORMANCE.

There you can check out scratch discs and change how much RAM and what not you like for PS to utilise.

Name:  Preferences.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  427.0 KB

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1