Art: New artwork - keep the advice coming :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New artwork - keep the advice coming :)

Name:  guns.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  283.7 KBName:  ship.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  287.4 KBName:  weapon.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  524.2 KB

Hi Guys

Knocked these up today, robotic race weapons, guns, ships etc. Working on the robot will post when its done. More advice the better thanks.

J

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new coloured up ship.

Name:  ship colour.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  523.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    random vampire

Name:  woman_flattened.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  436.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm the weapons and the ships design is inconsistent, you're not thinking about functionality, silhouette or anything different than lasso and gradient. Check out the anatomy of the vampire which seems off and the colours are muddy all over the place cause you're using the wrong brush settings probably. Try with a round brush with no opacity control, put up the main colours and then add the lights where you want to with the same tool, after that smudge the edges when needed (and do the same with shadows), this will help you to figure out better the process for starting out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Care to highlight the areas where you felt it was incorrect? I thought the vampire looked okay. It's definitely miles above what I can do for sure, but I didn't see anything wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I can see what Hitsu is pointing out. One of the main issues is the face. I've made a quick Paintover if you don't mind.

notice the blue lines on the face, they are all at different angles and that makes the face look wonky. It's a pretty difficult angle to get right though. Once you get the proportions right then you can make it as vampirish as you like

colours are not my forte, so I can't help you out there.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice eye fireblade, the paintover is very well done and matches what i was talking about. Anyway it's not the only issue, the body proportions are not correct and there's no sign of 3d perspective (don't think about perspective like something for buildings, in this case is only about angle of view of a 3 dimensional shape and the proportions you need to match to be correct).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice guys,

I was actually trying out just using 5-20% layers of opacity for the colouring, think i went a bit over board trying to get tones right for the right area...ended up being a bit dirty.

Another piece i've done recently below.Name:  rinorobo.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  368.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Uhm the weapons and the ships design is inconsistent, you're not thinking about functionality, silhouette or anything different than lasso and gradient.
    What I think Hitsu means by this is that your designs lack recognizable features. Sure you can tell me all there is to know about what you see when you look at your weapons and creatures, but keep in mind 99.99% of the time you won't be present to talk to someone about your design, and people that look at something really only look at it for 2-3 seconds. If in those 3 seconds they don't 'get' it, they just write it off as nonsense, silly or random, and move on. They won't sit and read the text about what your design is.

That said, I think its nice that you're trying to do something different and new-ish, not just repeat what someone else has already done, but you can't just draw stuff randomly and expect people to understand it either. Gotta find ways to tricking people to thinking your design makes sense and might exist in some world. For example if you look at some dragons, lets say kekai's dragons as an example, you'll probably find a dragon living in some snow mountain. Now, dragons being basically big lizards and therefore being cold blooded, they wouldn't survive in a cold climate- And also there's no way something that big can fly on wings in a world with earth gravity, not to mention, if you're that huge, what the hell do you eat? Why has your species not gone extinct after devouring everything on the planet, similar to dinosaurs? - When you dig into those details, there's no way you can make sense of it, and yet when you see that dragon in his artwork, you totally buy it. Why? What's the trick? That's the question you should ask yourself when you're drawing something new. 'Will someone else believe this exists'.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You think right. Vak do you have an online portfolio that i can see?

Members who have read this thread: 1