Environment- Feel free to crit! :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Environment- Feel free to crit! :)

Hey everyone,
    I did a 2-3 hour painting that I would like critiqued. The process I used was much different to normal, I just splattered colours on the page and went from there, I made different decisions along the way and I am not sure whether they were for the best or worst... Please feel free to critique on anything!
    Thank you for your time.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WoofyDesigns; October 9th, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Check out my DeviantArt
    and my Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Can't see any image, did you attach it?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about that. It is attached now, thanks for the heads up!

Check out my DeviantArt
    and my Sketchbook

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What's burning? If it's a plane maybe you should hind at some wings somewhere. I like the smoke btw. I don't understand what is coming pout from that tree which spans to another one. If this is an alien world, it doesn't look like one. Can you clarify what you're trying to depict please?

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks! It is meant to be a helicopter, I was thinking for a while how to make it look more like one and still have it be burning... Maybe that needs a change. Well as I was starting to paint I saw a little streak on the side and decided to implement it somehow. That was a decision I was contemplating and ended up going with it to add some kind of mystery or something, so really there was no real reason as to why I put it there, just something different...

Edit- Updated it with some atmospheric perspective and tried to make the helicopter more identifiable, let me know if it worked.

Last edited by WoofyDesigns; October 8th, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Check out my DeviantArt
    and my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update- I have decided to polish it a bit, it is not done and I have chosen a new direction. I dunno whether it is a good idea or not... There is no "real" story only, I was kinda thinking as I was painting that these are "tribal people" and they are sick of people trying to take over there land. I know I shouldn't be telling you the story as that is what the illustration is for, but for the sake of critique... Feel free to critique on anything.

Check out my DeviantArt
    and my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't quite know why but the people in the foreground seems to somehow detract from the picture in my opinion. I preferred It when the focus was solely on the crashed helicopter, maybe some sort of animal instead? But the cliff formations, the plain and the helicopter looks great to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WoofyDesigns View Post
    Update- I have decided to polish it a bit, it is not done and I have chosen a new direction. I dunno whether it is a good idea or not... There is no "real" story only, I was kinda thinking as I was painting that these are "tribal people" and they are sick of people trying to take over there land. I know I shouldn't be telling you the story as that is what the illustration is for, but for the sake of critique... Feel free to critique on anything.
    Where is the horizon line in relation to the cliffs on the right and the tree on the left?

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MechaMechanica- Alright, thanks for the input!

Tony- Thanks for that pick up, I remember looking at the rocks thinking the tops are pointing at the camera and I must have got distracted. I removed the rim lighting on the tree so it removed the illusion that we are seeing it from above. Here is a bit of an update.

Check out my DeviantArt
    and my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WoofyDesigns View Post
    Tony- Thanks for that pick up, I remember looking at the rocks thinking the tops are pointing at the camera and I must have got distracted. I removed the rim lighting on the tree so it removed the illusion that we are seeing it from above. Here is a bit of an update.
    Okey, looks good when it comes to the perspective. Now, let us discuss lighting and not only that, I will teach you a nice trick that I always use when drawing out-door scenes.

Name:  example.png
Views: 115
Size:  177.1 KB

Now, the blue line shows where the shadow is, my question to you is, where is the sun/primary light-source in relation to the blue line? To the right? To the left? Behind us or in front of us?

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is meant to be coming from around where those white clouds are, so kinda in front of us, which I realised is now wrong, because the clouds shouldn't really be lit from this side, but I don't want to darken them too much otherwise it will lose depth. I tried updating it, adjusted the shadows a bit... Go ahead, share you wisdom

Check out my DeviantArt
    and my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okey, I use the old image since its what I'm trying to show is a bit clearer their
    so, look at this image:
    Name:  example-sun.png
Views: 86
Size:  217.6 KB

(I drew this on the train to work using a touchpad so its a bit shaky, but hopefully you get the point).

So, this is a way to figure out where the sun is in relation to the image. What I did was that I took the shadow from the tree (the green pole on the left hand size). I drew a line from the top of the shadow through the top and bottom of the "tree" and where the lower line intersected the horizon line is the point the sun sits atop, so I had to only draw a line up from that point and intersect that with the upper shadow line to get where the sun is at.

After this I drew the green lines, that are sort of volumetric outlines of the cliffs.

Now, having done this, I drew lines from the sun to different areas on the image to see if they are in illuminated or not. With this in mind I wrote the five questions, now pleas answer them (a few of them are trick-questions).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help man.
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. No, although I made it dark in order to emphasis depth because as things are closer, they are darker and as they recede they get lighter...
    4. No
    5. Yes

Check out my DeviantArt
    and my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problems

You are of course correct. Now, go forth and use that knowledge!

Members who have read this thread: 1