I need help getting the female anatomy right and drawing female poses
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I need help getting the female anatomy right and drawing female poses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I need help getting the female anatomy right and drawing female poses

I'm seriously having a tough time trying to draw some of my own female poses from my mind, everytime I try to sketch them down I always end up ruining the porportions, can anyone give me some tips on getting better at this and maybe some reference would be great.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think you should be trying to draw any poses from your mind. Use references (life or image). I think you should first spend a lot of time learning from books such as Loomis' Figure Drawing for all it's Worth LINK REMOVED and then spend many many many hours drawing people from reference pictures or from life.

So basically, practice until you become as good as you want to be.

Last edited by Star Eater; October 6th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    use reference,(from life or photos) until you can draw it perfectly. Then practice drawing from a photo after you look at it then cover it up. Then check your memory of it against the photo that way you build your knowledge. Construction techniques like Loomis Bridgman or Reilly will help too but they are limited in their usefulness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by khurrum View Post
    I don't think you should be trying to draw any poses from your mind. Use references (life or image). I think you should first spend a lot of time learning from books such as Loomis' Figure Drawing for all it's Worth LINK REMOVED and then spend many many many hours drawing people from reference pictures or from life.

So basically, practice until you become as good as you want to be.
    Good advice, but the Loomis books are available for purchase now. Please support this initiative.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just like what everyone else said, also what might help is drawing from your imagination like you've been doing and then look at the correct proportions of the female figure and try to find out what you need to do to fix the proportions. I find writing down exactly what's wrong with it helps keep it in my head better. Keep up what they said above and you'll be able to draw from your imagination eventually. Just takes time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You see the thing is, that I've been trying to study George Bridgemans and Andrew Loomis method and applying it to drawing females but the box method is especially difficult.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge3000 View Post
    You see the thing is, that I've been trying to study George Bridgemans and Andrew Loomis method and applying it to drawing females but the box method is especially difficult.
    If learning these construction methods is too hard, if you can't copy or translate something, then you won't be able to draw it from your imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should consider putting some of your stuff up in the critique section or start
    a sketchbook thread. Great way to nail down some problem areas.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge3000 View Post
    hi, I'm a beginning artist who is kind of where you are. i can draw females but a bit badly, at least from imagination. I have noticed progress though, and only because I have been drawing humans nonstop. I spent at least 4 hours a day drawing figures, and at least an hour drawing gestures from tools like posemaniacs.

I also have copied Loomis and Bridgman from cover to cover only once each. I'll probably consider doing it again soon. Bridgman in particular teaches you about line control and how a few lines can define a figure. I'm sure I can learn more from Bridgman but I haven't yet figured it out, because my skill/eye isnt there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tentativesteps View Post
    hi, I'm a beginning artist who is kind of where you are. i can draw females but a bit badly, at least from imagination. I have noticed progress though, and only because I have been drawing humans nonstop. I spent at least 4 hours a day drawing figures, and at least an hour drawing gestures from tools like posemaniacs.

I also have copied Loomis and Bridgman from cover to cover only once each. I'll probably consider doing it again soon. Bridgman in particular teaches you about line control and how a few lines can define a figure. I'm sure I can learn more from Bridgman but I haven't yet figured it out, because my skill/eye isnt there.
    Keep that enthusiasm, but ditch posemaniacs if you are still using it. It's not a tool, its a hindrance.

You are much better off studying photos than that rubbish.

Don't neglect to draw real people as well, even yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's nothing wrong with studying anatomy or anything, hell I've watched some lectures from Vilppu or other artists where they just step by step takes different parts of the body and key points and things to remember and took a lot from it.

Though all that info is nothing if you don't just sit down and draw an ass ton of figures. ESPECIALLY if you haven't been drawing long. One of the actual uses I've found for deviantart though. Just look in the photography sections and just sketch random people you find, also sketching people when your just dicking around in public is nice. A little while back I was waiting for a ferry and found myself sketching people sitting at the bars and tables, then on the boat etc. Was nice.

Members who have read this thread: 1