E.O.W Round #196: Train Station (any genre) - (Winner: Yatzenty)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: E.O.W Round #196: Train Station (any genre) - VOTING

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • android411

1 2.44%
  • Zirnbigism

7 17.07%
  • Tea of Doom

0 0%
  • unicornmadness

3 7.32%
  • LukasN

3 7.32%
  • Yatzenty

25 60.98%
  • NateShaw

2 4.88%
  • Absorber

7 17.07%
  • Howie

6 14.63%
  • Naevea

0 0%
  • Jarkuzy

0 0%
  • foofoo

24 58.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round #196: Train Station (any genre) - (Winner: Yatzenty)

E.O.W Round #196:

TOPIC: Train Station (any genre)
    suggested by guilefine

Brief:

This week's environment topic is to create a train station in any genre. It has to include the train and if it is a passenger train, a system to unload passengers. If it is a freight train then it should include a system to unload its freight. Use your imagination but remember to focus on the machinery and function of the train station!

Deadline: 3 October, 2012

ENTRIES:

android411

Zirnbigism

I made this part of the world I'm developing, where the planet has a natural water pressure from underground oceans. This water is "pumped" through the planet due to gravitational stretching. People use "hydropipe trains" to harness the water pressure to push encapsulated cars through elevated tubes. This is a station for boarding the tubes.

The ceiling is part of an acrylic solar technology, that's why it's faceted and looks the way it does.

Tea of Doom

It was a cold autumn night. Far away from the busy downtown streets of Fulcrum city, the crane operators of station 17 were busy discharging yet another freight train arriving from the wastelands.

unicornmadness

The earth has become uninhabitable and the humankind have been forced to start a new civilization underneath the surface. Using whales as trains people are traveling across the vast oceans to visit the few human populations left underwater.

LukasN

Yatzenty

Train Station, Unknown City, Year 2036. Still travelling on the ground using gravity on magnetic field cushion with speeds reaching 500 km/h
    Image is not finished as I managed to run out of time. I started with massing model in 3d Max, added details and textures in PS and painted over. I planned to add stripes of glowing ads and more futuristic touches but this will have to wait untill next week. You are looking at 70% finished work. For the final version please check out my blogger - yatzenty.blogspot.com Thanks

NateShaw

Onyx Station is a slightly darker smudge on the vast, barren landscape frequented only by cacti and the occasional freight train making slow progress across the miles and miles of empty desert. Originally a post office for an abandoned mining town, now in ruins left to the rattlesnakes and dirt, it is a station only in name. Its now used as a meeting point for bandits and thieves.

Absorber

Howie

Naevea

Jarkuzy

foofoo

- Vote for your favorite entries in the multipoll. Give your thoughts on the entries. Consider this contest an open book: leave your thoughts, give comments to others. Bless the bandwidth with an abundance of feedback and it may return on your own work posted on CA.org -

By the way, welcome back!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all! Haven't been able to reply or give any comments. But it's satisfying to see some really good entries! Gonna just quickly leave some comments for some

Zirnbigism - pretty architecture. Would be nice to see train as well
    LukasN - your piece has got potential... Like the mood. The design of the train also got my interest!
    Yatzenty - very well executed . The girder like over hang thing bothers me abit though. Doesn seem to belong to the futuristic and posh station
    Absorber - yours stands because unlike the rest of us u chose an
    Aerial view. Liking exterior design of your station. Nicely executed!

Sorry I couldn't leave a comment for everyone, becus I'm bad at giving crits and most won't find my comments useful. Good job all and keep up the HARDWORK! Yes to improve you can only work hard

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foofoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work all, I'm always disappointed to not see more feedback for these challenges so here is my input. Take it for what it's worth

android411:I think the values and colors are working pretty well. You got some nice atmospheric perspective going on and I think the composition is working pretty well too. I think your mark making could be more consistent though, the line work you have on the front train section looks out of place when compared to the rest of the environment which has no lines. Also I think the robots purpose could be a little more clear, I'm not sure if he is attacking the train or helping load it up.

Zimbigism: Awesome colors and that ceiling is really beautiful. Not much to say really other than I want to see it detailed out more.

Tea of Doom: Really cool train design and nice lighting. I wish the design elements in the train were incorporated more with the surrounding environment to make everything more cohesive.

unicornmadness: really cool idea, I think the main problem is the perspective the foreground and background are following different horizon lines.

LukasN: Very nice, I think some of the foreground elements just need to be fleshed out more

Yatzenty: Very well done, I really like the design of the dome structure and the composition overall. It's not finished so I don't want to go into any specifics yet

NateShaw: I like the more subtle take and having the station take up only a small portion of the canvas was a good idea to emphasize we're in the middle of nowhere. I think maybe hinting a little bit more narrative would help sell the image more. Maybe we could see someone they killed that was stationed there or if the man with the gun is going to be robbing the guys running the cart maybe have him hiding behind a rock to catch them off gaurd.

Absorber: I love how abstract this feels. I think pushing it's more graphic qualities and removing the photo elements would make the image feel more consistent and interesting to look at.

Howie: feels sterile and dead, needs more detail and life

Naevea: cool composition, the neon lights are a nice touch as well. I would try pushing the values more and throw in some atmosphere to help separate the foreground middleground and background

Jarkuzy: I like the style of the architecture and how bold the composition feels. Main issue is the perspective, you have one of the vanishing points working well but you need to set up another one for areas like the front of the train.

foofoo: Pretty awesome, love the detail and design of everything, feels like a real place.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, sometimes I hold back on explosive paragraphs full of praise that fill me to the brim when I view the work of artists who post on CA and particularly you ladies & gents who participate in the humble EOW... but man, I'm not holding back tonight.

My comments, feedback and thoughts:

android411 - The color scheme is very retro, like game art for a Playstation robotic thriller. It looks underdeveloped but not unimagined - you have a character there and a train that lacks personality but maintains a strong mechanical foundation. The station looks secure enough but the head of the train does not measure up since it seems rickety and weatherbeaten. Deteriorated from overusage, perhaps. Anyways this is decent work from you droid.

Zirngibism - Well, right at the start, visually this is fantastic. It has the look of a classic novel combined with a 3D lukewarm color effect. Like this is as organic, grainy and might I say pulpy as it gets. If the heart of the city needed a blood tranfusion, this train station might be the injection point. The man leaning over the railing was a cool perspective but like others I did want to see more of the actual train coming into view. Excellent work Z, you got my vote!

Tea of Doom - Very dark and charcoal-like. The city of the unforgivable sinners who live in this metalocalypse sort of world where vagabonds tell campfire stories when there's enough hope for change lingering in the air. I think the lighting could've been better seeing as it's a train station, a piece of mechanical civilization. I thought there'd be more illumination coming from the station itself. This was creative and I liked it.

unicornmadness - If whales were okay with this and it was perfectly humanitarian and of the freewill of aquatic leviathans, I would deffffinitely love to ride through the ocean on a whale train. I thought the scale of the whale and the backround of the sea behind the glass was really effective, and also found vibrance in the innocence of your concept; I don't get the sensation that it's something bad to board the whale train. It seems like society and the whales are fine with it judging by the weak grin (or frown?) of the whale. Coexistential cooperation in a beneficial way between creatures of the land and those of the sea. Nice work.

LukasN - That is tight. I get vibes from an assortment of movies: Minority Report, Eyes Wide Shut and The Matrix are among a few that spring to a mind when I put myself in this world. The way you painted this was commendable and I liked how you kept the color scheme consistent: some mellow neons, midnight blues and other somber tones to keep the atmosphere somewhat morbid and formidable.

Yatzenty - Ahhh, bullet trains on steroids with a beautiful cityscape in full view to complement the daily grind of train-goers and the attendants that accompany them from place to place. The detail in this is obviously high quality and when I first saw this, I was stunned in my customary "holy sh--" that usually happens in the EOW. Great work Yat! You got my vote.

NateShaw - The characters have personality in this one. The Western stylization is unique & has some flare to it while being simplistic in nature and perspective. Critique wise, the cacti look a little too organized, like they're in rows rather than scattered about the desert ground. The sky is also a nice touch.

Absorber - One of my favorite entries this round, this is a provocative design of an entire train station from a bird's eye view. Very nice work. It has a slick futuristic structure look to it and the colors are pleasant to the senses as well.

Howie - This reminds me of the movie Batman Phantasm with the gothic steel/beige textures. A solid interpretation of the topic, I think this entry was well rounded - you gave the lights, the design of the train and the windows full attention. All had complete details, though as a critique I think you could've been more imaginative and added an additional aspect, like for instance passengers or a sign post. Something to bring the viewer into the world more than just a stagnant train station.

Naevea - Blade Runner meets Vampire Hunter D meets Las Vegas strip or GTA Vice City. Cool mood, first off, the glowing pink and exotic orange lights gave this one a city-like atmosphere. The design of the train almost resembles a Radio City music box, something you'd see at an auction or in your grandparent's basement or music room. I thought you pulled this one off well, nicely done.

Jarkuzy - Great scale with the train! Almost looks like a docking ship at first glance. The color scheme has some potency to it; the train lights at the helm seem spidery, like a set of spider eyes in different areas of the head. The color contrast was effective. I thought the silhouettes of bystanders were just okay - the train itself might have invited a darker storyline wherein you could've had more selectively chosen characters to be placed by the train, giving this a narrative and elements of storytelling.

foofoo - Outstanding work foofoo, this was a powerhouse entry. The train design was ambitiously done and the surroundings of the train station are just eye candy to sit back and absorb. Thank you for letting me into this world this week! You got my vote.

Votes went to Zirngibism, unicornmadness, Yatzenty and foofoo.

Great week guys!

Last edited by Vulgar`; October 7th, 2012 at 04:42 AM.
    My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments all, actually I started this image after watching the latest feng zhu tut where he shows a good technique of linedrawing. The train was a first result of it... Then I thought I could put this train into an environment but had not the time to do a linedrawing for it so the whole shit doesn´t fit together, but it was a good practise for me anyways. Getting out of my comfort zone and try to learn new techniques. Looking back at this image I see many things I could do better though... Next time will be better for sure

Voted for foofoo, yatzenzi, absorber and zirngibism, everyone of those are well thought and executed... see you next time!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to android411 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for the feedback I have just started to draw environments and this is my first try at this category. I obviously have a lot to learn but I'm looking forward to getting better. And yes Vulgar, the whales are okay with being used as trains and are getting a lot of cookies (made of healthy fish ofc) and such for the effort

Members who have read this thread: 3