HELP HELP HELP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: HELP HELP HELP

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

HELP HELP HELP

Hi dudes, I really need help regarding composition and a lot of knowledge in landscaping and suggestions.

It's supposed to be a flying mountain with a city on top of it that 3 guys found when they got to the top of a mountain. They should be above some clouds and 4 big spikes of mountains are sorrounding the flying city.

btw i Already know the anatomy is really screwed right now, haven't given it any work really. But right now, my biggest concern is the landscape and sky and perspective and composition and lighting (that's a lot of stuff...)
    Help please!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Give my sketchbook a visit and tell me what you think n.n

> S K E T C H B O O K <

My gallery
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll repeat what's been told to me countless times: Thumbnails, thumbnails, thumbnails. That said, I really like how the clouds are turning out.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tops of mountains usually arent that pointy. you should have it be rocky and go off the side of the page. the point on the front left should get cut off. then run the hill from the bottom right to the middle-ish left. I would also put bushes and treets on that edge. this way we feel like we are on the mountain too and get to look past the trees. this also makes more sense for the guys there because they would have been hiking then spotted this and are searching for a clear place to look at it from.

im confused about the other 4 peaks. those make it more confusing i think. after looking at it I assume they are part of the mountain that the floating piece was resting in. Its a good idea but Im not sure its working. It might work better if we see a mountain there instead and the floating bit is clearly a gigatic piece of the side of the mountain, not the center piece.

Ide like to see the city on top, at least roughed out in silhouette, and i think you need to work on movement. those clouds look good but they need to be billowing around the object as it rises. part of them are being sucked up with it. its a tricky thing and doesnt need a lot. if you can pull it off it will really bring it to life.

the 3 guys are too posed for me. I think you need to put yourself in their spot and imagine how real people would react. keep that in mind as you sketch that.

one other thing you might consider trying to show is how the whole thing is moving. maybe its a ship, maybe its being levetated, in any case you should hint to it. It would be cool if the castle on top were just the top of a ship and we (as the viewers and hikers) get to see not only a mountain flying up, but it breaking apart and revealing a spaceship.

hope all that helps haha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to add a bit on to what Sunny said,
    I dont have nearly as much experience than most people that would be able to crit this piece of work, but one thing I might say from a human reactions point of view, lets say the island has just started rising from the ground if I were there, I'd probably be more cautious than curious. possibly keeping hidden behind a rock formation whilst still keeping view of it. The last thing you would want is for that great blue opening to be some form of cannon or alien weapon. imagine Frodo and Sam's first view on Mordor.

"War doesn't determine who is , but who is ."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SturdyDesign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the help. In the week I got an obvious idea that needed to be added (for the concept I want to be done in this illo). So I added a path that will take you to the Kingdom in the skies. Only those with the Blue Gem can enter, which opens a path of light through the floating rocks that form the path.

What do you guys think?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Give my sketchbook a visit and tell me what you think n.n

> S K E T C H B O O K <

My gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second version is much better. There's a clear line of direction to the city unlike the first one, and I can tell what the setting is. The other one was kind of a mess.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to otherscape For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those clouds are intensely awesome

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Quixotica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, this is my first attempt at a hands on critique, so keep that in mind and make of it what you will.

Name:  WIP2crit.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  170.6 KB

1. The image begs for a much more overt vertical canvas. I think you should add a lot more canvas space above and really let that big flat blue sky work it's magic and provide a nice big restful space for the eye to chill in and also to allow room for the massive structure to breathe.

2. The structure itself might benefit from some bigup-manship and the buildings atop may work better if they had more simplified masses and just a few strong vertical towers? I thought of this after the above (1) so I would consider adding yet more space to the canvas top.

3. The bottom mass of the structure doesn't follow the top mass. It also makes for a better vertical punctuation if the mass of it as it hits the line of the foreground cliffs is stronger.

4. I saw that brigher patch of the setting sun on the skyline to the far right. Maybe it would look more dramatic and work in the long run when pushing contrasts to have it almost behind the structure itelf?

5. Those bridge things don't work at all for me. They look cheap and digitally dodgy as hell when compared to the lovelyness of the rest of the image. I would suggest loosing them altogether, but if you do want to show some form of "bridging" technology, it has to be a lot more visually interesting and a little more suggestive as to what it entails.

6. I think the middle figure would look somewhat stronger in the composition if he was in the foreground and mostly in suggestive shadow. It would also break up the flat foreground cliffs that are also in shadow and not something you want to add too much detail to. A figure would break it up quite nicely.

Hope this gives at least a few possible ideas. Loving the general mood and palette of this. Don't let it lounge at the unfinished stage.

Regards

"You have a taste for drawing - I trust it will improve." - Melmoth, The Wanderer

Sketchbook
    Blog

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munin Raven For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.