Sketchbook: Life Drawing

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Life Drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life Drawing

Currently enrolled in Sheridan's Art Fundamentals program, I hope to get better at figure drawing to buff up my portfolio for the animation program. I do life drawing every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and on Friday I have a course on it (it's basically a life drawing session with a guy saying your drawing is shit or pretty good).

Feedback on my technique would be appreciated! I feel like I still have a ways to go before any of my figure drawings are portfolio-ready.

Here are some from tonight:

2 minute gestures
    Name:  10-03-12, complete gestures.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  369.3 KB

longer poses (the last is 10 minutes, the rest are 5 minutes)
    Name:  10-03-12, complete poses.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  368.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The proportions are a bit off in the longer studies.

But, the 2 minute gestures are really vigorous!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking pretty good, but I feel if you threw in some angled lines it'd really help concrete your people. They all feel like they're made out of jello, because you're using a lot of curved lines. Also work on the faces, try to make them not so flat.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    The proportions are a bit off in the longer studies.

But, the 2 minute gestures are really vigorous!
    Ah, thank you for the quick response! I agree about the proportions, now that I look at it. Some of it is me not knowing, and some of it is me not looking at the paper, so I guess I'd better pay more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by nickm91 View Post
    Looking pretty good, but I feel if you threw in some angled lines it'd really help concrete your people. They all feel like they're made out of jello, because you're using a lot of curved lines. Also work on the faces, try to make them not so flat.

Keep up the good work!
    Thank you for the critique! The instructor's been talking about when to use a curved line versus a straight line too, like on the forearm and the lower leg; I'm just addicted to curvy ones! I'll definitely keep that in mind for next time. I'm mostly focusing on the bodies for these, so the faces are usually thrown on as an after thought. I'll see what I can do.

I don't do life drawing on Thursdays, so here's some from last week that I liked to compensate.

Name:  09-25-12, complete.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  442.1 KB

These poses were a lot longer: 3 ten minutes and two half-hour poses. I showed them to some people and they said that the line quality was enough in most cases to imply shading and that I should spend that time focusing more on the form and whatnot. Since then I haven't rendered any of my life drawings, but I feel like I lost the line quality as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, been busy recently. I've been trying to use straighter lines recently, or at least making the curvy lines more definitive. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but some end up better than others.

Name:  10-10-12, complete.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  503.3 KB

I arrived a little late today and ended up missing all the quick gestures, so I only got to do these 10-minute poses. (the first one is only 5 minutes)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.