Art: Self-taught concept artist portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Self-taught concept artist portfolio

Hello, I'm Edu Alonso, a 26 year old aspiring concept artist from Spain. I have studied Illustration and I currently have no job (The situation in Spain is really awful). My goal is to get an entry job as a concept artist, I'm willing to move to any place in the world were I can start making my living as a concept designer.

This year my goal is to improve my portfolio and get my first job in the industry. So I would like any advice and a honest answer: Do I have a shot of having a good career in concept art and just how far am I from it?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  00.jpg
Views: 3565
Size:  327.4 KB
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 3525
Size:  482.9 KB
    Name:  15.jpg
Views: 3736
Size:  493.0 KB
    Name:  14.jpg
Views: 3495
Size:  345.6 KB
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 3482
Size:  341.0 KB
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 3479
Size:  172.9 KB
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 3458
Size:  90.7 KB
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 3439
Size:  120.9 KB
    Name:  07.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  187.4 KB
    Name:  06.jpg
Views: 3427
Size:  118.7 KB
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  444.4 KB
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 3410
Size:  89.4 KB
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 3378
Size:  173.6 KB
    Name:  09.jpg
Views: 3419
Size:  474.6 KB

Last edited by sodAp; January 23rd, 2014 at 01:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi

i'm not a professional concept artist (did some storyboard and characters drawing for some small movies)
    but
    since no one replied i could give my opinion as someone who worked a bit in professional world.

you must show solid grasp of what drawing needs: anatomy, perspective, composition
    don't showbad works ( the zombies are not of your level)

sometimes a director fall in love with one or two images so just show the best

don't show things that you're not comfortable to draw

show an 'i already did it' attitude

don't say anything that could show you're looking desperatly for a job. don't say you accept any salary, (wich means you don't value your work worth a good salary)

if u want critic for your work.

show more confident strokes (and attitude)

characters are better than enviro (work them then)

do lines many many lines

and keep working.

you could also work storyboards, or anything related ( i heard background painter are more demanded than character designer, since a movie so many backgrounds)

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

I took a look at your work. In all honesty I feel like you are not really on the right direction in some of your pieces. Your painting style feels inconsistent for some pieces. You need to improve your foundation drawing level and then go into painting. Work on perspective, sketching environments and lighting. Continue to work on figure drawing as well. Check out the Gnomon workshop they have a lot of good DVD tutorials. Also CG Master Classes have some good workshop videos that are really good. Work on your perspective drawing, gnomon has an excellent dvd by Scott robertson called Basic form drawing that is good for drawing objects in 3D. Also try and watch some of the sketching for environment DVDs, Cecil Kim and Feng zhu have some good stuff.

For environment painting watch the CGMA Environment Design for Games workshop with James Paick, it will really help you understand what environments are suppose to be and painting better in photoshop.

These are just some of the highlights of video tutorials you need to look around and see what you want. Gnomon workshop and CG master workshops are the best 2 websites for tutorials on concept art.

Hope that helps. Oh and when you paint grass and leaves don't paint hundreds of strokes paint them more as areas of color with some variation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I am looking at your work and I do enjoy looking at some and some I dont, but lets start with the ones I do like. The piece with the man stealing the spirit of the sleeping ranger, the piece with the bug and the very last one with the character. All three has a confident look in the piece and shows that you know what you were doing. The brush strokes are loose and the color choice are solid but with your other work aside from the stylize stuff show a lot of weakness in your skills. For example the one with the pod parked while the characters are swimming shows a lack of understanding in atmosphere, value, and form. This piece looks very flat and unbelievable. The same goes with the space dock floating over the planet. I would suggest you go back to the basics fundamentals and do more drawings and more study from life and photos (VERY IMPORTANT). This in return will help your work look more believable and your work will look more appealing and consistent. I hope this helps, happy drawing!

-Tien Chi

Online Portfolio - www.artoftienchi.com
    Online Blogspot - www.tienchiart.blogspot.com
    CA Sketchbook - Coming Soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... i caNNOT THANK YOU ENOGH FOR THOSE TREE MODELS (sorry for caps) what brush were you using on the trees? id really like to know. btw geat work man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude your stuff well I can say yes you'll get a job maybe for a new company or something, you should come to New Zealand they will hire you, I ve seen people not as good as you and they have a job, you'll get one.

Members who have read this thread: 46