Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Not the best but working on it!

I've been looking to and from on this webpage a while now and finally decided to make a sketchbook here of my own. I figure that if I really wanna improve my drawing and get better, this is a good place to start. If I can get some feedback and improve myself that's really all I could wish for.

I'm currently doing a 1001 selfportraits challenge in which I'm drawing 1 portrait every day. So I suppose many of the drawings I upload here will be portraits of my own face. I also recently started working with values and realized I am weak with environments. Environs is something I'd like to become better at, they seem fun to do once you get the hang.

I will update this sketchbook daily, no matter what kind of "bad stuff" I come up with. So please, give some honest feedback and I am looking forward to doing this!
    Last edited by Jimmy Laskowski; October 23rd, 2012 at 12:33 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's a portrait I did today

Name:  29.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  67.4 KB

edit: image size changed to smaller more comfortable view
    Last edited by Jimmy Laskowski; October 1st, 2012 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    Another portrait

Name:  30.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  73.6 KB

Thanks
    I would read Betty Edwards Drawing on the right Side of the Brain, if you have not already. Especially if you are serious about putting in three years worth of self-portraits. Also I would set up a spot in front of a mirror, I only say that because you drew yourself in profile and I just don't figure you set up the mirrors it would take to do that from life. But If you are going to draw yourself 1001 times, most should be done from a mirror, it is amazing how much it means to draw from real life. It is hard, and on top of that you will move around, and it gets even harder... but, that is what dedicates the practice to memory, tough scrutiny of what you are doing.

A little something that is I guess a pet-peeve of mine, so take it for what it is worth, I would ditch the signature, make it smaller or hide it. The greats didn't sign their works in a part of the picture that was ever meant to be seen, they signed on the back, under the matte or under the frame lip.

Good Luck man, and have fun.
    Sketchbook-Stryno's Thoughts
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"
    "I play Guitar because I like music, I draw because I have to."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stryno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback, stryno! I started reading Betty's book and it seems really well done. I've decided to go through all of if, word for word, so I might put the 1001 portrait challenge on hold 'til I've chugged through all of it. It seems like the better way to go, atm. I also agree with you that it's better to draw from real life. I've been doing that all the way, until the profile portrait which I used a photograph to do. You caught me at just the right opportunity! I dunno about the signature, I recently started using it. I'm not really comfortable with it, so I'll try going back to not using any and see how that feels.

A mirror-portrait this time, along with a quicker sketch in which I tried to draw a friend from memory and my own hand. Didn't spend too much time on these last two, it's getting very late.

Name:  500.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  163.1 KBName:  anders.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  130.0 KBName:  hand.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  115.5 KB

Thanks
    I didn't Mean to Hijack your thread, but I really think this is a good move for you.
    About the signature, I am also glad you have reviewed it, I mean Signing and dating pieces is a great Idea for anyone, but a small penciling in the corner, or on the back works better then a bold line that competes for the viewers attention.

A critique or two on the latest self portrait, I hope you feel good about it, because you should. But, there is a few things I will mention. The sternal mastoid has clearly been drawn using a preconceived notion of what it should look like, as opposed to what it actually looks like. Also the Nose, it shows form and volume that most people at your stage miss, but it is more stylized and less "observed". Keep at the observational studies they pay dividends. I am far from an expert, but your pencil work has nice solid, confidant lines, and I like them better then the first two digital works you have shown. I would revisit digital, later, right now I think it would be great study to work through your observational practices, using the pencils.
    Awesome start Man! I am going to keep an eye on your thread .
    Sketchbook-Stryno's Thoughts
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"
    "I play Guitar because I like music, I draw because I have to."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks stryno. Really good advice, I'm happy you're giving them, gives me some proper direction and food for thought. Compliments make for happy reading too =)

I won't be able to drop digital altogether since I'm studying concept art at uni. But I feel that the analogue drawing is really helpful, so I'll be mixing between them from now on.

Two pictures based on lineart images from the book, drawn upside-down as per instructions(flipped right-side up afterwards). I think I'm starting to understand now what my art teacher used to say in croquoise when she was comparing angles and talking about "drawing with your eyes". It nevre made much sense back then.

Name:  C360_2012-10-06-02-19-55.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  149.6 KBName:  C360_2012-10-06-02-20-07.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  147.5 KB

edit: the floating text are just comments I made to myself. the picture on the left is based on picassos "portrait of igor stravinsky" if you're curoius

Thanks
    cool challenge that you are taking, hope you will be able to get other work done as well though. anyways its looking good so far, keep it up!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cheers kevin. The challenge is on hold for a while, but I'll get back to it eventually

A hand exercise

Name:  C360_2012-10-08-03-20-25_resize.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  72.5 KB

Same exercise but in photoshop. Numbers indicate what order I did them in. I haven't tried this out in ps before, so it was a jumpy start

Name:  20121008-drawing on the right side of the brain viewfinder test.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  154.6 KB

Thanks
    I did a character and realized I don't really have a good grasp of hands and poses, so I did some sketches bases on ref. material

Name:  grant.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  20121010-warmup.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  62.0 KB
    Name:  20121011-sketching.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  129.9 KB

Thanks
    Negative-ish space drawing

Name:  C360_2012-10-15-23-44-49.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  39.6 KB

Thanks
    A bunch of concepts, mixing gypsy and 60s space fashion with some random elements at times

Name:  gypsy.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  87.8 KB

Thanks
    An environ based on modern day Istanbul in ruins and a 60s futuristic backdrop

Name:  zigenarläger.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  101.7 KB

Thanks
    A carconcept. Really want to continue reading Drawing on the Right side of the brain, will have some time during the weekend!

Name:  bond car.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  55.9 KB

Thanks
    A couple of concepts on futuristic wagons

Name:  zigenarvagn.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  91.9 KB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast