Petition for the King **Possibly Finished!** - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Petition for the King **Possibly Finished!**

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have theory on why my perspective is off a bit.

When I shoot reference I put parallel strips of tape on the floor. That way I have a rough guideline of what the vanishing point will be. That should work fine but there's something about optics that I overlooked. Long camara lenses not telescoped out any tend to fish-eye the image. So, my tape perspective-aid was distorted and the rest is history.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, this is really cool, I like the concept and your work and the energy you put into it is just stunning. But, I wanted to come out of the wood-work to point out something that is bothering me. All these dudes look the same. I understand if you took all the reference yourself that you could have a case of same-face going on, and it's easy to overlook - but, it really stands out to me, particularly for some of the guards. Try a little variation in facial proportion and even hairstyles. It would make a world of difference - especially for the king, I know you might not want him to look wildly different from the others, but he does look like he might be closely related to several people in the room.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMariachis View Post
    Sone_one: "His" in this context is referring to the setting king correct? Also, when I start adjusting the floor, do you think it would be beneficial to enlarge some of the elements on the wall to bring it closer?
    yes i ment the king .

i would rather push the wall back... not by reducing anythings size but by reducing its value and contrast.
    to be honest i attempted 3 overpaints now and theres none id be satisfied with, so im quite struggling to give input, that could be valueable.

i think whats putting me off most is that if i have a closer look, its got that collage thing going on where everything is 95% there if it comes to perspective and size relationships, but not yet there.

e.g. the shields on the wall... right now all of them appear to be bucklers (small shields), and the 2 large ones on the other hand are gigantic.

id darken alot of areas and reducing their contrast. pushing them back and out of focus. right now there are too many potential focal points imo, fighting each other. i think you fell for the trap that you want to show your effort as clearly as possible. give your audience something to investigate and room to be creative on their own, filling gaps. (im in a pretty bad condition right now (just the flu nothing wild ^^) and not sure anything of this makes any sense, but ill try to attempt a paintover in the next days for what remained unclear.)

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sone_one: Thanks for the followup! Do you feel that adjusting the tiles in my last update helped any? Also, to clarify on a few of the wall elements. The two large white things on the wall aren't shields. The striped one is just a large crest display, and the larger one with the three rabbits is a piece of tapestry that tapers like a shield. I was hoping that their size would give the idea that they weren't shields, or at least anything usable, like the rest on the wall. I've failed again it seems...

edit: I thought of one other thing that might be confusing me and misleading you. The print resolution for this piece is two feet across. So a lot of the wall detail is being sharpened when I scale the image down for the web. I've never actually printed any of my work myself, so I don't know if there's anything to that.

edit2: Oh, and get well soon. We need you here!

Ysvyri: I'll tinker with their features some more and see if I can work in a little more variation. Thanks!

Last edited by ZombieMariachis; October 25th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1