End The World End The Fantasy

Thank to view.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    i don't know if it's supposed to be some kind of matte painting or not.
    but you can see directly that some parts are painted and some parts are just copied and pasted.

for example the hand of the woman holding the helmet is too big and they way she holds the helmet is not believable at all.
    and: the landscape is obviously taken from a photo but the sky and meteoroids are not believable compared to this.
    there are some more issues but i think you know what i mean...

and then: i don't really get the story behind this scene. how is the family related to the dragon and why doesn't the family and the dragon care that a meteoroid is going to hit them?

i would suggest to try and paint it without using photos (for reference it's perfectly fine of course) for the beginning and you should also think about the story behind the scene or how you can show this story.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Cedule, matte painting is a perfectly valid art form but no professional matte painter will just drop a photo in as is, they will also be painted over, layered with other tweaked photos, or otherwise manipulated to match the painted portion while the painted portion will be painted in such a way that it matches the photographs. They have to meet in the middle or it ends up looking like the artist just didn't feel like painting that building and dropped one in.

Meanwhile, conceptually I feel like I'm looking at several different images pieced together. The character's expression don't match: the dragon looks sleepy, the father looks tired, the wife looks like she's smiling (or crying? can't tell at this angle), and the child... I'm not sure. He might be looking afraid, but his arms are out like he's pretending he's a dragon and having fun on dad's shoulders. If the world is ending, they would probably see and hear it going on around and pay some attention to it. If they're trying their best to ignore the fact that the world is ending around them and continue living as if it weren't, then their emotions and gestures should express that.

One finale note: I'm not sure where the meteors are supposed to be coming from. They certainly don't look like they're falling from the sky because their arcing like they were thrown by a catapult, and arcing at different rates, making it look like they're being launched by catapults set up hundreds of feet apart and not one source. If they were falling from the sky, they would be coming down at an angle in a straight line.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.