Talk about New Features in 4.2 and Request for FB likes
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Talk about New Features in 4.2 and Request for FB likes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Talk about New Features in 4.2 and Request for FB likes

It wasn't announced as far as I can tell but CA is now updated to 4.2. I only noticed because completely coincidentally, we just moved servers a week after CA.O got back up, and upgraded Abrahadabra Forums to 4.2 the day before yesterday and when I went to look for other forums I know to see if they are on VB4 to solve some baffling banner alignment issues, (which we solved) I noticed CA was still on an old version of 3 (til yesterday...are they synchronizing their periods too?). I find the best time to upgrade or make major changes is September when the school crowd dies down. we get a huge influx as the weather turns nasty. But this could be due to use being popular in Finland, Wales and the Pacific Northwest.

I know there are a bunch of PHPVB owners here so I would like to hear some talk pertaining to art forums that use VB. I would be happy to share anything I have learned managing PHPVB

Thankfully the upgrade when totally smoothly and we are very pleased. The up to 3.0 was hell for us.

There are some majorly cool developments for 4.2 which I am just getting used to.

The first wonderful thing is the post editor will autosave your post, so you don't lose anything if say, you accidently close the window or hit the back button like I am wont to do. The question is, where does the draft save to? I suppose this will be answered in a user friendly sort of way when it actually happens.

Second, admins now have the option to see Who has previously viewed a post. Very cool. I am trying to figure out how to allow this for all of our users, not just admins. If anyone has any info on how to make this happen I would really appreciate it.

Also the optimization for mobile and general streamlining will make the forums incredibly faster than in 3.0. I am noticing some major improvements to load times already.

Social Media gets a huge upgrade in 4, admins have the option of including a facebook "like" to each post. This is not the $99 facebook addon it's free. I would love to be able to post to FB from CA and need a lazy way to do this.

An example of how this can work to CA's advantage is you can post events and then when people get excited and want to share the news quickly with friends and family they can. To show you how this looks:

http://forums.abrahadabra.com/showth...ute-Olympia-WA

The only issue I forsee is the lag time on the load of the Facebook frame itself which loads from Facebook. I don't want this to slow down mobile load times. Right now I can't tell if it does or not as I have not tested it extensively.

Last edited by Izi; September 30th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Been running 4.+ forums for over a year now (iirc when it came out) on another forum.

The admin tools are also a lot easier to use in thread now than before. The biggest reason for the upgrade is security. The problem is a lot of VBul staff have left and there has been a noticeable ....change in community interests when it comes to bug fixes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Suppppeeeerrrr Arshes.

It's so sad and infuriating what happened to such a great company like VBulletin at 3.0's dawning.

We are experiencing browser inconsistency. I use Chrome, and everything works lovely in Chrome. Firefox as usual is being a bitch, so we had to disable our super sexy smoky grey background.

We're running into a problem with the new Facebook feature. It was running along just fine, then we ran a diagnostic and suddenly everything stopped working. (Ie logged in users experienced a weird white field at the top that said "switch user?" and just linked to FB in Chrome.) So we disabled it.

Image Magick ensures stable API and ABI and I don't know anything about that but we seem to have an unstable FB API. Whatever that means.

Now on the new servers, we had to disable the image uploader because it decided not to work. We reactivated a different image uploader but we really want Image Magick working. We're using GD temporarily.

VB reccomends Image Magick as it supposedly does a better job of recognizing a wide range of images. We need our server admin to tell us what the appropriate path is. Linux uses one path, Windows uses another, and we just don't know what path to use, so we're in a holding pattern.

Right now I am just happy about the quick loading times.

How are these Lunatics going to sell 5.0 when 4.0 is so convoluted and as obtuse as 3.0?

I have been battling with Vbulletin all day and all night, it's time to play World of Warcraft and drink too much coffee.

Last edited by Izi; October 1st, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
    abrahadabra

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Right now all mods are disabled and the IT are investigating another matter dealing with security. Once that clears up, I' sure the other mods and such will be fixed in time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The "Switch" white box happens when the user is logged into Facebook, and acting as an admin one of their business or hobby pages.

I had to test that one to figure out what they were seeing.

Now we also have some users complaining they don't get the "like button" at the top at all. To fix have them go at the top to Forum Actions ---> General Settings ---> (left side under My Account) Edit Connections ----> Connect with Facebook

Also there is a new option to "Customize Profile" like on Myspace or something. I am not sure what to think of that. I like things to be fairly IKEA.

abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, if and when the Thanks/Likes thing is implemented again will there be an option to get notifications? I don't know if it was squelched in the addon you were using before, but on AF we get a little notification when someone Likes or Dislikes a post, which can be amusing and informative on threads that are a few years old. Where it is especially useful is if someone replies to a thread, and likes something you wrote you can go back and answer questions. (For instance this could work well in critique forum) It provides a history too, so I am not sure if this is too server intensive for CA.

I've attached examples of how this works. Pic 1: on hover, Pic 2 on click. Posts thanked, liked or disliked are quick linked.

Name:  thanksalertfunc.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  184.2 KBName:  thanksalertfunc2.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  500.7 KB

abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also if the image uploader is not working properly, clearing cookies may fix it.

We figured this out after:

Reinstalling Vbulletin. (always a special joy)

Going to Vbulletin and having their goons tell us to stand on our head and chant something

Contacting our (super excellent and smart) technical administrator, who couldn't duplicate the error.

abrahadabra

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.