Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You don't have to be a restaurant chef to know when food is bad.

True but you do have to be one to correct the problem. Telling someone you don't like their work or you think something is wrong with it, is an opinion not a critique. Unless you have the skill to actually fix the problem its useless to the artist receiving it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Unless you have the skill to actually fix the problem its useless to the artist receiving it.
    No it's not. If you get a range of opinions you can gauge whether you actually have a problem. If you do have a problem, the opinions can help you narrow it down so you can fix it more quickly. Is it as good as a skilled artist just telling you how to fix the problem outright? No. But since artists would rather spend their time drawing than critiquing, you need to be able to take advantage of all the tools you have instead of waiting around for someone busy to get back to you.

Last edited by vineris; October 1st, 2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Vin. Sometimes you get a client who cant draw for shit, but theyve got a knack for telling you the right things to do to make the work better. I dont understand it but you just learn to trust them and their terrible scribbled drawings.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It all depends on several factors, really.

What is the goal, who understands it, who is being paid, who is paying attention to these factors.

When you get a critique with people who are not invested in the result (like paying for it or being paid) it doesn't matter if the critiques are from skilled artists or not because they may give good information for some parts - but lack of investment may be a problem if they don't understand the end goal.

A teacher who has been paid, or a peer with a more vested interest can give you valuable feedback.

A client who can't draw for shit will still know what he/she wants (though you have nightmare clients) so they may have a better focus for the end result. And yes, sometimes the opposite happens and you're stuck with a piece you're less than happy with.

With receiving and giving critiques...well just have to pick and choose your battles with what works best for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm down with that too. I've done work for publishers which I
    wont put in my portfolio, but they were to spec, to the brief. All that
    matters to me is that the guy paying me is 110% happy. I put my tastes
    aside.

A private painting or commission gives me a bit more leeway. Generally
    I find throwing in a little bit extra there has always been beneficial.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It all depends on the feedback and the context.

Most of the audience for what I do will NOT be artists. So feedback from non-artists can be extremely useful for gauging whether I'm communicating what I intended to the people who will actually see it. If I draw a snake eating an elephant and non-artists say to me "that's a neat picture of a hat," then I know I did something wrong. Non-artist feedback can also give you a feel for how well something clicks with an intended audience - it's great market research.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I post comics on DeviantArt... There may be a lot of hobbyists and noobs there who are clueless about technical issues, but there are also a LOT of comic fans, and how they react to my comics gives me a pretty good gauge as to how well the comics are working with their intended audience. And if people read my comics and are confused by something, or misunderstand the action, that's a clue that what I drew wasn't clear. They might not be able to tell me WHY something wasn't clear, but they can tell me when it isn't, and I can sort it out from there.

It's like canaries in a coal mine.

Neil Gaiman said something about it, I don't remember the exact quote, but in essence:
    When someone tells you there's something wrong with your work, they're probably right.
    When they try to tell you WHAT is wrong with your work, they're probably wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What always strikes me about the critique centre is that 80% of the stuff there is the usual "I'm just starting out, here is my first sketch". For all these people that just need to be directed to Loomis and the like (including me), it doesn't need dpaint to say that. Anyone who lasted longer than a few months could.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A small can of worms I've opened here perhaps.
    Ofcourse the chef analogue is oversimplified, but stands a point I think.
    Some people may have a head for thinking visually and can figure out how stuff should work, in theory, but lack the needed skillset to fully express themselves at that time for example.
    I also think one would still be better off weighing all critique considering the work (your work) in question. Take what you can and discard the rest.
    I've received good critique from both very skilled people as well as people starting out, and for both I have been thankful.

But hey what do I know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Am I the only one seeing the irony here?
    Izi, just the other day you were getting insanely worked up about how this forum is going to hell because people are being trollish, yet this original post is rife with sarcasm and condescension. I mean, I laughed...that's not what I have a problem with. In fact, I agree with most of the shit you said. But you can't have it both ways. It seems like you want this to be some kind of highly sophisticated forum where everyone speaks like professors or something, but you (as you admitted) are clearly just as guilty of the things that you were raising hell about a few days ago.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Indeed most individuals could spot various anomalies in a painting they are looking at and those with interest in the subject
    may well be capable differentiating wanted and unwanted anomalies or in other words, telling apart style from mistakes.
    If you create pictures for the masses or certain focus groups then the opinion of the consumer is vital, your art needs to be
    able to communicate the subject. Working for clients you will always, even if it is only on a high level, receive feedback from
    your clients.

If you however create personal art, if you paint for your self, then it is a different story. Others may be able to point out
    technical issues but in terms of content there really is not much to say because the work is customized to fit the taste of a
    single person.

Very important is the fact that this is a concept art forum with a focus on topics related with games, film, anime, comics...
    If you were to present your art to general population you can expect incredibly mixed results and this is where you have to
    learn how to take a hit. All feedback is useful, you will learn how the general population reacts to your choice of content,
    you will learn how people who are not familiar with your genre view your work and depending on where you exhibit your
    work you might get to read uncensored, candid and sometimes very rude or mean comments.

If you don't listen to others you will not make good progress, simple as that but you have to learn to filter BS and grow a thick skin as well.
    But most importantly you have to learn to be honest to yourself because deep down most artists know what they do wrong but instead of
    fixing they spend a lot of effort to find excuses and then feel even more butt-hurt if someone is pointing out the week points.
    It hurts even more if the person who points out the mistakes is not an artist.

That is why most communities have rules, we try to be polite to each other and give constructive feedback but in the world out there you need
    to learn to take some hits as many people will not even recognize your work as art. Not all feedback comes with the intend to help.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    /\ [thanks button]

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, well said Randis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can brand anything, so I wasn't referring to /nicks that have become branded somehow, for example Android (Android easily calls to mind Andrew Jones phonetically)

I have two artists in TAI who go by /nicks so this is a matter of calling yourself something fairly unique, consistently and not having one name on the forums which you do not use anywhere else. Example: I used to go by the nick "Lady Hydralisk". How do you think that would work out for me in SEO? Not very well!

Am I the only one seeing the irony here?
    Izi, just the other day you were getting insanely worked up about how this forum is going to hell because people are being trollish, yet this original post is rife with sarcasm and condescension. I mean, I laughed...that's not what I have a problem with. In fact, I agree with most of the shit you said. But you can't have it both ways. It seems like you want this to be some kind of highly sophisticated forum where everyone speaks like professors or something, but you (as you admitted) are clearly just as guilty of the things that you were raising hell about a few days ago.
    I like getting insanely worked up it's how I roll. I was upset about people bullying, not being trollish. I don't care about trolling at all I don't know where you got that idea. I just got banned from Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Sarcasm and condescension in and of itself, if it is not a personal attack, and it does not incite hate is not trolling or bullying. I drew the elf guy like 10 years ago so, it's my art. I admit to making all of these mistakes at one time or another.

Nice replies +1

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't get why more people don't use their real name on CA. Your art is a brand, and you are the face of it. If you want to be successful it certainly is necessary people know who you are and recognize your name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    I don't get why more people don't use their real name on CA. Your art is a brand, and you are the face of it. If you want to be successful it certainly is necessary people know who you are and recognize your name.
    Many reasons. Some people don't feel their art is successful yet so why brand it?

If your name is John Smith it fucking sucks considering how many people share the same name

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Randis View Post
    *words of wisdom*
    Well said Randis, well. Fucking. Said.

I've gone through a bit of a catharsis and realization, recently - and ca.org, and a real support group around me, has helped.

Where's the fucking up-vote button when you need it the most?

(Oh, how's Bangkok treating you all this time Randis? I *might* come over and have a visit, if I actually know your location - and Skan as well. Born and raised in Bangkok, then HK, now in Australia, etc )

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...Or, having a complex name that no one can say/remember properly.

Remembering and associating art with names / avatars is, indeed, getting more complex... (my memory can take only so much too) I think if you want to change either now, it's a commitment you need to stick with for a LONG time as consistency is key. I've been pondering on these things too, wondering if branding with my real name is really worth it.

-Aline Schleger
    P.S.: It was early 2000, coming from sijun and I was young and foolish and etc.
    What about Splooge_Demon?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like getting insanely worked up it's how I roll. I was upset about people bullying, not being trollish. I don't care about trolling at all I don't know where you got that idea. I just got banned from Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Sarcasm and condescension in and of itself, if it is not a personal attack, and it does not incite hate is not trolling or bullying. I drew the elf guy like 10 years ago so, it's my art. I admit to making all of these mistakes at one time or another.
    Haha, fair enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For all the talk of the thank/like button (which I also enjoy) one of the coolest things about the pre-thank button years is that if you said something interesting, people would take the time to go to your sketchbook and give you look and bump you with a crit/compliment.

You can still do that. Randis also has a great forum at wecookart.com so you could thank him by giving him a visit!

Oh and compliments can be constructive too. If you tell the person what specifically is working. This doesn't need to take up a lot of txt. Over the years my compliments kept up a pattern of

"color color color, shocking, color, color color, color"

So I learned to push in the direction of my strengths.

abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post

True but you do have to be one to correct the problem. Telling someone you don't like their work or you think something is wrong with it, is an opinion not a critique. Unless you have the skill to actually fix the problem its useless to the artist receiving it.
    Actually, you don't have to be a chef. You can point out to a tutorial or book by someone who knows how to fix the problem. I might not be a chef but if someone is having a problem making soufflé and I want to help, I Google and I might find a solution by a chef.

That said, the OP is wasting time ranting and should draw more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonor View Post
    That said, the OP is wasting time ranting and should draw more.
    YEP

abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    YEP
    Addressing issues is *never* a waste of time. In fact, it'll probably save time in the long run, as it will force the issue now, and mitigate anything potentially harmful down the road when the can of worms gets even more rotten and fermented.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I still prefer the thanks button. Lets me know when a joke is probably funny or if there are some words of wisdom if I'm skimming threads. and obviously the simple fact that it can show if people agree with a point, or if someone said something that others were meaning to say it allows people to just click thanks without making a ton of posts simply stating "I agree with this".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post
    Addressing issues is *never* a waste of time. In fact, it'll probably save time in the long run, as it will force the issue now, and mitigate anything potentially harmful down the road when the can of worms gets even more rotten and fermented.
    what issues? i might be missing something important here... i dont like it neither that ca.org is not like its been 2003-2006 with a small comunity and all the big guys hanging out here... but thats how it is and nothing is going to change that... its a non-issue.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    what issues? i might be missing something important here... i dont like it neither that ca.org is not like its been 2003-2006 with a small comunity and all the big guys hanging out here... but thats how it is and nothing is going to change that... its a non-issue.
    Oh, I wasn't referencing what is happening here, now. I think the ca.org community is perfectly healthy as it is. What I was referencing to was the principle of addressing/forcing issues that people would rather not face, and rather hide and bury and pretend it is not there. Only delaying the problem until the problem gets worse and suddenly explodes. Kind of like someone telling people that they have to do controlled burns of forest undergrowth, rather than let it build up, and having one small spark ignite a raging inferno that does more damage in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    I still prefer the thanks button. Lets me know when a joke is probably funny or if there are some words of wisdom if I'm skimming threads. and obviously the simple fact that it can show if people agree with a point, or if someone said something that others were meaning to say it allows people to just click thanks without making a ton of posts simply stating "I agree with this".
    Yeah it's not that the Thanks is being removed permanently it's just an add-on that has to make its way back once one can figure out how to migrate the data and such. Didn't help that there were XSS issues with vbul earlier that had to be resolved.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet, good to know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Yeah it's not that the Thanks is being removed permanently it's just an add-on that has to make its way back once one can figure out how to migrate the data and such. Didn't help that there were XSS issues with vbul earlier that had to be resolved.
    That damn vbul.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what about telling people to not steel your ultra original OC?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.