Jobs in creative industry that don't require great drawing skills.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jobs in creative industry that don't require great drawing skills.

Don't get me wrong I love drawing and will keep working to improve to get to level that will hopefully be good enough to get a job in the creative industry, but I just wanted some advise.

Basically I'm studying animation in university atm, my course isn't the greatest it isn't specific to a particular type of animation so it is quite brief about all aspects, and the assignments aren't explained so you try to do the best with what you know. My assignments from last year were all terrible >//< I'm trying my best to teach myself, but I get overwhelmed with the amount I have to learn aswell as having to do pointless assignments. At the end of the day this course will provide me (hopefully) with a degree but I feel I won't have the skills. The aspect of animation I wanted to focus on in particular was 3D. I've finished my first year of uni and really want to start making my way towards my career. I just think I have have so many things I need to learn I cannot focus and everything suffers because of it, giving me a basic understanding.

My question is though what should I focus on? I have come to terms that I properly will never be a concept artist or comic book artist as my art skills aren't strong enough, or a character designer. Though I will strive to keep improving my art as I enjoy drawing and I enjoy learning and improving. You can see in my sketchbook the quality of my art, and only time will tell how much I will improve.

Last edited by Hiddles; September 29th, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
    'Never, ever, let anyone tell you what you can and can't do. Prove the cynics wrong. Pity them...'
    ~Tom Hiddleston~

My Sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246863
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have come to terms that I properly will never be a concept artist or comic book artist
    Why? Is that something you would rather have done? In that case, why are you spending lots of time learning animation when you could be working on your art skills to try and be what you want to be?

I don't know much about animation. But 3D animation sounds like a very specific skill set that would be difficult to learn all on your own. Aren't there other courses you could take, more geared towards that? What's the point of spending all this time getting a degree in something that will be useless to you anyway?

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Why? Is that something you would rather have done? In that case, why are you spending lots of time learning animation when you could be working on your art skills to try and be what you want to be?

I don't know much about animation. But 3D animation sounds like a very specific skill set that would be difficult to learn all on your own. Aren't there other courses you could take, more geared towards that? What's the point of spending all this time getting a degree in something that will be useless to you anyway?
    Thanks for the reply My dream job would actually be to be a storyboard artist, or comic book artist but I have difficulty with anatomy and posing, and rely too heavily on reference. Something I am working on trying to improve. I have also had a keen interest in 3D animation and working in the games industry as this has become quite a big sector in the UK.

I did the animation course as I have always loved animation, and it was a good idea at the time as I was told it would cover all aspects. I'm pretty much stuck at this university for another 2 years so I'm trying to make the best of it.

'Never, ever, let anyone tell you what you can and can't do. Prove the cynics wrong. Pity them...'
    ~Tom Hiddleston~

My Sketchbook:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just a note: "drawing skills" ≠ "realistic, highly rendered drawing skills"
    There are all kinds of art jobs that don't require the sort of detailed knowledge of, say, the figure and perspective, that sequential art like comics and storyboards do. But basic design and picturemaking are universal.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Just a note: "drawing skills" ≠ "realistic, highly rendered drawing skills"
    There are all kinds of art jobs that don't require the sort of detailed knowledge of, say, the figure and perspective, that sequential art like comics and storyboards do. But basic design and picturemaking are universal.
    Thank for the reply What jobs would you suggest for my skill level? (currently I wouldn't be able to get a job I doubt but as an idea, I don't think I will ever get to the level of realistic highly rendered drawing skills, but who knows if I work hard enough maybe one day) or what I should work on? I don't want to say forget drawing as I love it and I enjoy it, but currently these past few months it's what I've been focusing on and everything else has taken a backseat. I have a constant battle trying to decide what is more important to focus on, should I focus more on animation or then I think drawing is a stepping stone to that and without the knowledge it will get me no where.

There are people on my course who can't draw and admit they hate drawing D=

I stress way too much ^^; just want to get on the right path I'm trying to build a routine and do everything in my power to get better ^^; I'm trying not to think about jobs as I still have 2 years in uni but it's definitely something I have at the back of my mind, and really want to know I'm heading in the right direction ^^

I appreciate the advise your art is incredible!

Last edited by Hiddles; September 29th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
    ~Tom Hiddleston~

My Sketchbook:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's a tricky question.
    For example, you can have awful drawing skills and be a 3D modeller, environment artist, level designer, or animator for video games.
    But skill is still the operative word here. You'll still need to study each of those disciplines to the same level that you would need to become great at drawing.

"Can't" is not a word any creative person should ever speak.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the issue is that if a job takes low levels of skill then anyone could do it. If anyone could do it then everyone would do it. If everyone would do it. Then there won't be many jobs out there no?

You have to have skill to get any real career. The arts even more so. While other careers you can go to school, get your piece of paper and net a job based on your resume and persistence. The arts it's all on your portfolio. It's as simple as someone seeing your work and saying Yes or No. Persistence won't take you anywhere if you don't produce professional quality work.

Edit: Was going to question Dustys list of jobs. But I'm guessing animator as in non traditional, like animating 3D and such.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post

Edit: Was going to question Dustys list of jobs. But I'm guessing animator as in non traditional, like animating 3D and such.
    Correct.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are plenty of low level art jobs where you are expected to resize buttons, to clean up photos and do all kinds of menial tasks. The problem is finding these jobs because many managers still think they need a top artist to do them. I know a few people who are perfectly happy doing just that (it's less scary than trying to improve.) I did that for a while (this was NOT what I was told when I got hired) and I wanted to shoot myself, so YMMV.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    There are plenty of low level art jobs where you are expected to resize buttons, to clean up photos and do all kinds of menial tasks. The problem is finding these jobs because many managers still think they need a top artist to do them..
    Dunno, a lot of the places I've been tended to get interns for that kind of thing rather than pay somebody... Or cheap student labor (I did a fair amount of grunt work as a student.)

Of course if a company already has artists on staff and the artists aren't swamped, the grunt work might be thrown at them anyway regardless of skill level, because, hey, they're right there. (I had to field a certain amount of grunt work even as a senior artist... Then again it was a small company, so everybody was wearing multiple hats.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some companies have a lot more grunt work than others. For example, places that do games on multiple platforms and where ports are the main activity have almost exclusively grunt work.

Members who have read this thread: 1