Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crit my Crap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crit my Crap

edit:not "Ns Weekly" anymore!!!
    edit2: nor "Ns not-quite-daily Sketchbook", "Nikolais Weekly Sketchbook", "Criticize my Crap" , or anything else!!!

Hey Guys!
    Im new to this forum, but ive been drawing for some time now, and ive decided its time to get my act together & get some real critique from some pros! Im very impressed with this forum (Finally some guys who can draw NOW exactly how i wanna be able to draw!)!

Anyways...im 16 (so no match for you guys) and still in school, which (plus too many hobbies & the fact that I can only scan at school...) will probably limit my posts to being weekly...or fortnightly at worst! Would love some critique though!

This is some stuff frum da past 6 months....about where im at now (not the best, not the worst....just a nice selection!) Im basicly a perspective guy, but I usually end up drawing humans, as its easier to come up with a new pose than to find something interesting in the landscape to draw (I dont really believe in copying 1:1 off 2D reference). Dont really enjoy drawing scenery either now that I think about it.....

Anyways...too much talking! sry...
    Lets begin! Welcome to my Thread! took me ages to scan these all....next pics in a week! Here we go!

Muscles...

Vehicles...

"the minimalist" (only has 1 wheel, which you sit in)...

this I dont like at all - one of the oldest! didnt mean to finish it (ie made it to a strip afterwards (started in the middle!)) pretty much everything but the last panel I am not pleased with (warmed up as I got to the bottom)...

I think the Shadows on this one (the lank bad guy) are funky...

my old house....

a Faveilla (brasilian slum) - overworked it, but pretty much what I had in my head (doesnt happen very often)...

a few sketches (of animals, in case you havent noticed...) I did in the New York National something or rather...

and finally: my most recent drawing: a magician on a stick! drew some faces at the side...

criticize! thanx

Last edited by bahamut; June 29th, 2004 at 07:20 AM.
    Nikolai reiset noch immer, noch lange wird er reisen...doch ins Land der Vernunft findet er nimmer den Weg...

Criticizing Nikolais Crap
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

First of all you would benefit from lots of life study. We all would. so lets see some in the near future. Go to the references section on this site or find your own wherever..

The first guy you posted. three things stand out right away that need something being fine tuning: the arm length, the curve around the wrist, and finally his feet. Not that I have much room to talk about feet but im sure you understand some shadow or some better perspective would take away that look that he was balancing on his big toe.

Your old house perspective is pretty decent stuff. Im not sure if u intended or not tho but it lacks contrast, i understand tho if you were just going for the perspective study..

Anywho lets see more soon - ry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the colored piece. Very cool! Very spanish style. Anyway, for crit I would have to agree with chud. Start putting anatomy studies into your regimen. And draw from life as much as possible.

And HAVE FUN.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! my 1st response! thanx for the fast reply, man!

I was really only concentrating on the muscles&head - I could probably do better than that! lol
    Its just struck me I always do that: concentrate on one certain aspect & ignore the rest! WOW already learnt something! will change! haha

the contrast was better on the orig, but again: wasnt looking at that necessarily (<- ?)
    To be honest: didnt know anyone did before I joined this forum a week ago!

so great!
    note to self:
    contrast, whole picture equal

thanx!

Nikolai reiset noch immer, noch lange wird er reisen...doch ins Land der Vernunft findet er nimmer den Weg...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha i found u ....

nice sketches u ve got here .
    number one : nice one the anatomy of the arms look good but the arms are too long....
    number two : nice creative sketches
    number three: just a good concept for a design
    number four: looks good but sharpen your pencil more often to get clearer lines
    number five- end : looks just good ....

keep em posting and cu ... :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys
    now come the real posts of daily sketches:
    been practicing human anatomy a few times a day this week...heres a first
    will post them slowly to stop my thread frum slipping into oblivion too fast...

Last edited by bahamut; June 18th, 2004 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice arm... what kind of references did u use??

cu praw :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @prawda:glad you like it. hope to see some updates frum you too...looking great! reference: nothing, just my own arm: boy did I ever look stupid twisting & turning lol

okay: now for the next pic...this too is a few days old but nm:

got the hang of the scanner now methinks...

crits plz!

edit: i know i messed up the bow&arrow...only thought of the shooting down vs straight thing after id finished the pose, lol

Last edited by bahamut; June 18th, 2004 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wazzuuuup people??? either im bad beyond hope, perfect or theres nobody out there!!!!!!!!!!

how bout some crits??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did this during boring latin & german classes: take 2 on the muscleman - bout where im at now!
    http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...s/3e8aa8f3.jpg
    (& some crapped up arms)

Last edited by bahamut; June 21st, 2004 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No one is beyond hope! Start bearing down on some more anatomy studies. And draw from life a bit more. You are missing some key stuff in your drawings. Anatomy, perspective, and form. You will get better at this as you go. Keep drawing!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! Lets first of all start with the nice part. I LOVE that slum painting, even tho it got some perspective errors. But I`m no expert myself, so i wont talk too loud. Great colours, and the sky is beautiful. Do they actually make those Q3 shoes? I would love a pair of those!

Unfortenately it shows that you lack important anatomy knowledge. Get some pictures of (not necessarily, but it helps) nude people in different poses, and don`t worry if people call you a pervert! It`s just art. (Unless the poses are legs-spread-wide-with-a-huge-cock-in-the-pussy poses. But that is a completely different issue. )

That actually reminds me of a time when i was in school, and i studied the picture of a nude man on one of the schools computers. An immature classmate of mine asked me why i was looking at that picture. I answered him: "I am studying his muscles.", without thinking that it may sound gay. Instantly he labeled me a faggot, and i had to make out with his girlfriend at a party to convince him othervise. He still hates me to this day! (I didnt make out with her to be an asshole or anything, she was hot, and she was willing. I found out that it was his GF later on. Kind of a double bonus )

Keep drawing dude! :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ slash...thanx for the crits: I myself cant see anything wrong with the anatomy, though since youre the 3rd person who has told me that it must be pretty obvious!

if anyone could please specifically tell me a few points where im wrong on the muscles to give me an idea??

anyhow: started on referencephotos yesterday, did this before that however... :conehead; show you the reference ones some other time!

an ogre holding an exhaust pipe....

Last edited by bahamut; June 19th, 2004 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Quick notes taken out from a book by Joseph Sheppard:
    (Please thake note that I haven't included all of the muscles. There is alot more!)

The chest muscle (pectorialis) should be inserted to the inside og the arm (the humerus).The deltoid should attach to the spine of the scapula and to the clavicle.

You seem to have completely forgotten about the scapula and the "latissimus dorsi" who forms the wall of the armpit.

Also, the muscles that flexes the stomach, the rectus abdominus, should be attached from the 5ft and 6th ribs and inserted to the pubis, the lower part of the pelvis.

The arms have some big issues too. Study more!!

It's pretty clear that you need to study anatomy more. It seems like you have an idea of how most of the muccles look like and where they are placed, but i can bet at least four dollars that you have no idea on how they connect.
    Knowledge of the skeletal structure is cruicial here. Without knowledge of how the bones and muscles interact, your figures (as well as mine) will quickly turn into some physically disfunctional beings, due to their many disjointed bodyparts. I would suggest that you fetch a good anatomy book, start with the bones (the trunk, the arms or wherever you would like to start) and progressively add new muscles for each drawing. Joseph Sheppard, as well as many aother artists i dont know of, provide a lot of good knowledge on this. I can PM you a few pages if you need some.

Once you get a good ghrasp on theese tings, apply your newly gained knowledge to some ref drawings and do some from your imagination. Compare and move on.

Also, for inspiration, motivation and guidance, take a look at how metalwinds and streak-tron aproaches anatomy.

I hope I didn't make this too brutal for you. It's a good thing that you are starting out with anatomy this early and I hope that this post will push you in the right direction It's hard to spot your own anatomy mistakes at first, but as everyone all over the world uses to say; practice makes perfect.

Take care and have fun:chug:

Last edited by AndreasM; June 20th, 2004 at 02:36 PM.
    Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! thank you very much for taking so much time to answer so thoroughly! I really appreciate it! I actually found out about the chestmuscle-problems myself from reference yesterday, would never have seen the others though!!! really stupid mistakes to make now that ive seen some of whats wrong... :nono:
    thanks again! wish there were more selfless people around like you, who waste time on beginners!

N

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, here is an anatomy sketch I did yesterday...
    studied an anatomy book a few minutes before i did it, and compared the drawing with it afterwards again.

a swordsman holding a torch in his underpants....

PS:i know the upper thighs are a bit long...

better now??

Last edited by bahamut; June 22nd, 2004 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I see improvement! But i think that making his neck, and the forearm thats holding the torch, a little longer would help a lot.

It also looks like you need to sharpen your pencil.

Keep on rockin`

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice pants he has. the muscles look much better and the chest isnt that flat as before, nice work ...

just continue and do 1000 pictures like that ..:p
    cu praw :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *dump*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some sketches

these are some sketches i did of myself on saturday (the topleft face isn't...wuz just trying something out there)

this is an exaggerated version of me

Last edited by bahamut; June 29th, 2004 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new threadname...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some sketches...
    the bottom left one i messed up as only I could(looked like a transvestite...), so tried to remember how to draw a face lit only by a flashlight from the bottom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided at midnight that one of the figures on the flashlight-pic were so bad i had to redo the pose from reference & took the only one i had at hand: myself. infront of mirror, 10min: straight ink, no pencil = BIG mistake!

10 min, reference: myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont quite see what im doin wrong here....why am i getting no C&C?? you guys sure arent the most helpful bunch...

on da back of the same - old man again -

anyone know where to find some good facewrinkle-references????

2nd is a rhino i did from reference today in class

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you would benefit from some more anatomy studies. I would press down hard on that subject for a while until you are more comfortable with anatomy.

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Van is right. You need to study some more anatomy to the point where you can draw it convincingly. Also try to use the lines more to describe the forms you are shading them with.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can find the loomis book at fineart.sk its free to download so go for it!

Ive just started some anatomy studies and already i can see a little progress!

well keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hows this
    thanx for the link btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep going with the studies. Are you reading that book?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup, the loomis book!
    done 10 more already...having a "drawing spree"!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.