Forest Antics
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Forest Antics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Forest Antics

First time posting something to these crit forums, I figure I might as well go with a current wip. This is something I've been toying with for a while, hoping to take it to completion. Started life as a from imagination anatomy drawing and decided to develop it to full illustration.

I am currently working on tightening up the background, foreground and secondary figure, but I'd love to get some crit on:

Lighting
    Anatomy
    Color

and whether or not the figure is established within the environment correctly.

Don't hold back, any opinion or thought is welcome as long as it's constructive, please!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aftertouch; October 7th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,376 Times in 3,597 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure where his kneecap is on his left leg. The crotch area is sort of undefined - hope he's wearing something there. Other than that, he looks relaxed in his own space.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Black SpotAhh, thank you for dropping by! I will see about fixing the kneecap, and the idea for him was to have him dressed up in plant material/moss/tree roots, make him look like some sort of male dryad. If anything, it will end up looking like pant creases on his nether regions, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that his arms would get the bounce light from his chest and ab area and so would his chin. I don't think that his left quad would bulge that much. Why isn't he looking down at that human? Where is he looking at? The overall image looks really warm even though you have that green for water. Try to cool it off a bit in some areas.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks fine to me so far. i dont worry about the small details at this point when it comes to painting. you can fix that stuff and learn about it later. right now you need to get your idea down solid through drawing it out, establish your basic colours then - based on the images intention - find your lightsources. That usually is a great start. After that you refine it and change things to enhance it. i like it so far, just want to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Damjan: Thank you for the suggestions! I will play around with the bounced lighting, as well as tweak his quad a bit. Ahah he's supposed to be holding a certain garment of clothing that he stole from the human, just havent detailed it in yet.
    I will experiment with cooling off the image once I get some solid time to work on it!

@Sunny: Ahah, that sounds like a good way to go about it, usually I DO have more of a solid drawing base and colors before I really tear into it, but this was a wierdly started image XD Thank you very much tho for the comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe it's just me, but chest muscles are too round. Looks like boobs without nipples. Flatten them a bit.
    Looking good, however. Waiting for final

DEVIANTART -:|:- BLOG -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- GOOGLE+ -:|:- FACEBOOK |:::| Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Spellsword95: Ahh had not realized that, thank you!

Last edited by Aftertouch; October 6th, 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Demuswagwip.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  326.5 KB

@sunny: Ask and ye shall receive! Still working on tightening up the surroundings and the anatomy/details, etc. Cooled off and darkened the outer edges and bg to draw attention to the center, do yall think it's a bit much?

Also. Now that picture thumbs are back I went ahead and reposted the latest update on the first post, just so it's not a blank image.

Last edited by Aftertouch; October 7th, 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Demuswagwip.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  359.3 KB

Minor update, wish I could remember what my flickr account name was so I can just insert image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ForestAntics.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  468.0 KB

Final post, I think I am done working on this one! Nevertheless, I am always open for suggestions and crit, will try and translate them into the next pieces I do! Thanks for all the feedback they helped loads!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked how this came along! I know you're done with this but the crotch area isn't reading well to me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kya Hill For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with Kya and I also have to say that if you go to the length of rendering all the muscles visibly and in a manner that makes the guy look like he's naked and have nipples, make the point of the pic to be about boobs/girl being naked for the guy and make the dude pose so that his legs are visibly spread straight in the middle of the pic and perfectly lit but then shy away of making any hint to male genitalia... to me it looks pretty awkward. In the same was as you see teens draw hot boy love but never draw a single penis because those are dirty, ew.

So personally if you want to cover his crotch, I'd make the covering more visible, like have a noticeably tree like texture in all covered parts or he has leaves etc growing on him, make the lighting so that it's obscured by a falling shadow and still pay attention to the form underneath the the covering, since even if he's lacking in genitals, the forms there should make sense, as right now his crotch reads like pulled toffee.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh, that's a very good point Tiny and Kya, I will go back in and make his crotch area a bit more rooty and shaped properly and such! Will admit the pulled toffee analogy made me chuckle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something looks wrong with his right leg. to me it looks very short and not attached...

did a paint over to try and explain better.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ForestAntics1.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  531.0 KB

Updated pic! Thanks for the suggestions, they were much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I absolutely love this concept. I would buy this if I had money, not in its current state but the soon to be finished product. One thing that i think could be improved is the emoticon bubble. Is there anyway the character can express that through body language instead of having a white bubble marring the image?

Ideas would be her trying to cover up, pointing at him, or arms down and tight against the side on her toes in anger. I love that she isnt scared by the massive tree beast but is frustrated instead. So I would see if you cant keep that emotion in there.

Looks great

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.