Thanks

Do you ever get treated like a dumb artist?

I'm a doctor of physics for christ's sake. I balance equations in thermodynamics and add them to part of some other set of linear equations on my "geek" board, so I can smoke most MBA's in my math pipe. Nontheless, I get the statement "Oh. You're not a real doctor." from people who can't spell the word physicist. That of itself is enough to get my eyes rolling at some of these hillbillies.

The main point is that so often, when it comes time to haggle over the bottom line, a lot of people who can spell those words and know what they mean still treat me as though (and, yes, I've heard the words) I'm a dumb artist. They think they can get me to work for free. I don't mind doing a sketch or two if it takes me perhaps an hour, but there's a point where it has to be absorbed into the overall manhours (those are oldmanhours for me ) of a project.

What really pisses me off is when some jackass agrees, on paper no doubt, to a specific wage and set of terms, gets the work then decides not to pay me. Eventually THIS dumb artist started studying the legal codes of the state and taking the shysters to court. Lawyers usually cost too much up front. Why are we seen so often as chopped liver?
    http://chronic.tempathy.net/page3.php

This should allow for the largest I have of these images at the moment without re-scanning or even re-photographing them. I'll keep adding more.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...56#post3545456

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Dumb is as dumb does.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    "What really pisses me off is when some jackass agrees, on paper no doubt, to a specific wage and set of terms, gets the work then decides not to pay me."

Everyone gets one of those occaisionally, but if you refuse to give a free sample and then notice this happens a lot? You have to conclude its because they don't consider the work worth paying for, or what they agreed to pay for.
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; September 27th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    To clarify my post. Keep an air of professionalism in all your dealings.
    Perhaps it is time to consider changing the way you do business and take
    a firmer line with potential clientèle.

Thanks
    I have changed my way of doing business. Essentially I don't. I'll collect my SS in a few years. My bank would give me a loan to start that community next year based on my current home which I'll have paid off in about 6 months. The medical community is starting to recognize my research and has agreed to get me the lab mice and rats infected with Experimental Animal Encephalitis for the research that involves MS. That said, my way of doing business is to intentionally drive it away. If a client gets by that and really wants my work, they'll pay for it at the price I ask.

I think my point is don't let someone dominate you with a Vegas Roll, meaning a carrot on a stick. A Franklin hiding a roll of Washingtons or play money. Don't throw your pearls before swine. Our current president is doing what he can amid crushing opposition to find ways to keep those of us who are unwilling or unable to cast our pearls, the opportunity to hold out for a respectable wage.

As for quality not being worth the asked amount, that is true. Many delude themselves into thinking theirs is the best. What makes one narcissist any better than the next? Great work, on the other hand, should never end up buried by an earthquake because it went unnoticed.

This should allow for the largest I have of these images at the moment without re-scanning or even re-photographing them. I'll keep adding more.

Thanks
    "The medical community is starting to recognize my research and has agreed to get me the lab mice and rats infected with Experimental Animal Encephalitis for the research that involves MS."

Erm yeah, that sounds.. great...

"As for quality not being worth the asked amount, that is true. Many delude themselves into thinking theirs is the best. What makes one narcissist any better than the next? "

Getting paid?

"don't let someone dominate you with a Vegas Roll, meaning a carrot on a stick. A Franklin hiding a roll of Washingtons or play money. Don't throw your pearls before swine."

Its a game of two halves, and there has to be a winner, and at the end of the day, you go to bed.

Thanks
    This is starting to get classic.

Thanks
    So I'm wondering... why exactly is a physicist doing medical research that involves diseased rodents (seems like a job for a bioligist)? Is this a common thing? Are the mice at least frictionless and perfectly spherical?
    ~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPoly View Post
    So I'm wondering... why exactly is a physicist doing medical research that involves diseased rodents (seems like a job for a bioligist)? Is this a common thing? Are the mice at least frictionless and perfectly spherical?
    Specialization has become an unfortunate mainstream standard that has held humanity back for decades. It used to be the artist made his own paints in "the color kitchen." Then came the so-called color men. Their products were no better. The reactions still casued the work to turn black over the ages.

The physicist understands the nature of electromagnets and how they relate to Harvard's work in Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation far better than the medical artist or biologist. There are always exceptions to the rule.

The EAE is used to simulate the characteristics of MS. The magnets, in sequential excitation, may have the effect of inducing nerve stimulation now being accomplished with electrodes (Ouch!) similar to the TMS. Such is ONE area of my research. I mostly deal with black holes on a small scale, as in MBH (micro-black-holes as opposed to SMBH; super-massive-black-holes) discovered both at Brookhaven and with the LHC at Cern. So research wise I cover a lot of ground.

As for the arts end of it all, I'm content illustrating my own work. Still I know others out there are not as fortunate as I am to have regular income.

The rest of my work is to provide some genuine hope in an era where it's harder and harder to find.

Its a game of two halves, and there has to be a winner, and at the end of the day, you go to bed
    You wait till the end? I take a nap whenever I need some dreamtime. I abhor the void of a memetic dogma. I get paid for a variety of things. I do what I love first. Money is a memetic disease, same as pay religion, pay medicine, pay love, pay loyalty...

I prefer to give of my love. I prefer others to give to me of theirs.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    So this is complaining about my being honest or just the usual mockery from riff or raff?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,730 Times in 4,636 Posts

Thanks
    I'm not riff, nor am I raff.

I'm Dr Luuurve.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    Dopamine, it's one helluva drug.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    I'm not riff, nor am I raff.

I'm Dr Luuurve.
    Do you ever get treated like a dumb artist?

Thanks
    Aw, I was going to make the Rocky Horror Riff Raff joke but I decided against it. Now I lost my moment in the spotlight.
    Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Please do not call the mods riff or raff. We're likely to bite.
    Actually I didn't think the mr. scavenger (velocity raptor... dino scavenger... raptors = scavengers... bad joke) was a mod. Retiarii should be retiarius or retiarae, still means a netbagger... I suppose retiarae would be two netbagger

Thanks
    What?! It's been almost 3 minnutes! No Mr. Scavenger coffee maker image yet? I'm sadly disappointed. Oh that's right, you cyberbullies are bullying me, not Mr. Scavengervelocicraptor

Thanks
    At least I'm getting educated as to why artists art thought of as being just dumb painters

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    People are getting itchy on swinging the ban hammer. My final warning to you. Your next post should be posting your artwork or the next post you make will be your last.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    People are getting itchy on swinging the ban hammer. My final warning to you. Your next post should be posting your artwork or the next post you make will be your last.
    I for one am quite curious to see the doctor's art work...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    Aw, I was going to make the Rocky Horror Riff Raff joke but I decided against it. Now I lost my moment in the spotlight.
    You can always make another Rocky Horror Riff Raff joke. :-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    I for one am quite curious to see the doctor's art work...
    The link on his sig leads to his site which has examples.

Thanks
    Dr! I have had a similar position as you. But behold! The power of low resolution. Give them a copy of the picture, but of course very low resolution, or quality. Depending on what the image is (meant to be printed would mean low dpi) or just so they can get a feel of a concept, (low pixel count to render little or no zooming) it is good to give them a low resolution copy, and to say you will hand out the full resolution when billed appropriately. That way they don' get off stealing your art, and you only spend your time on one piece for said product. If you are ticked about the time spent and lost. It was time spent doing art. Not lost?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    The link on his sig leads to his site which has examples.
    Not quite high enough resolution to really make out much, unfortunately.

Thanks
    quote from the "Dr" Charb.

"I want to specify that my title has been recognized by judges in our county, so the "A" means autodidactic. There are some universities willing to credit me with an honorary degree as soon as I finish the body of work, but till then some of our local judges have taken some mercy on me and allowed me to use the title because they feel I deserve it and have been cheated from it by our space agency."

Thanks
    That's just the tip of the iceberg Dr D.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Charbonneau View Post
    At least I'm getting educated as to why artists art thought of as being just dumb painters
    Have fun!
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    Thanked 6,730 Times in 4,636 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    Where's the thank button when you need it?

Closing this thread as there's no point in having two and I have to get rid of thinking about Star Eater as the below while banning spammers.