Thinking of a Mac Mini as my main desktop for a while... 3D, digital painting ect.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Thinking of a Mac Mini as my main desktop for a while... 3D, digital painting ect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thinking of a Mac Mini as my main desktop for a while... 3D, digital painting ect.

EDIT:

Never mind, all.
    I'm going for a custom build PC... For a few hundred more I can have something that's a beast and will last 3-4 years.

Cheers.

Hey all,

So first off, I'm an animation/digital art student and have strictly been a Win7 user for quite some time.

I use Macs at my uni, but still prefer Windows.

I'm nearing the end of my studies and am wanting something that will last me another 3+ years.

I currently own an Alienware M15x, i7 740qm 1.73-2.9Ghz, ATI 5850 1GB, 750GB HDD @7200, 16GB RAM 1333Mhz as my main machine at home.

I also have an M11x for on the go kinda stuff.

Anyway, I want a small form-factor computer because I have bugger all space in my room.... Thus looking at getting myself a Mac Mini...

The only reason I'm considering getting a Mac is for FinalCut Pro/SoundTrack Pro/GarageBand... I use them sometimes, but mainly for group projects it's easier to have the option of both OSX/Win7.

I'd want to run primarily Win7, so partition the HDD and have it bootup on Win7 and switch to OSX when I need to.

I like to tinker and am wondering what options I have on upgrading this.

I've seen vids on HDD upgrades and 16GB RAM is fine for me, however I was wondering if it's at all possible to upgrade the GPU, the AMD 6630M with 256Mb GDDR5 to something with atleast 1GB memory. Preferably something that I can use Cuda for After Effects.
    , hoping Nvidia.

Also, what CPU is it? Is it a mobile version or is it a full desktop one? I'm talking about the 2.7Ghz Core i7 CPU, and what it can potentially overclock/turbo-boost to?

I'm also wondering how the Mac Mini would fare using Autodesk Maya, Mudbox, 3DS Max, Adobe Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, After Effects, Audition, Premiere, Zbrush, Corel Painter, Soundtrack Pro and FinalCut Pro.

My main concern is how it would handle 3D modelling software and also After Effects whilst running on Win7 on the Mac Mini, if anyone could shed some light on that I'd greatly appreciate it.

How would it handle this software, with or without an upgraded GPU?

So anyway, would this be decent enough for what I need?
    I don't want to get an iMac or MBP (as I already have a laptop)... If not this, then I'm thinking I'll build a desktop PC... A small form factor one.

Thanks all.

EDIT:

Never mind, all.
    I'm going for a custom build PC... For a few hundred more I can have something that's a beast and will last 3-4 years.

Cheers.

Last edited by -Tragedy-; September 27th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
    www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like you made a good choice, i did go mac mini now i regret it. too slow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    sounds like you made a good choice, i did go mac mini now i regret it. too slow.
    I'm thinking I'll still get a Mac Mini, a used one from eBay and use it for soundtrack/finalcut when I need it. Simply because I still need those programs, and making a Hackintosh isn't all that desirable, although OSX could be ran via Virtual Machine... End of the day, a used one is ~$300-500.,, manageable.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.