Tird Time's A Charm... or something like that... - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tird Time's A Charm... or something like that...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Charbonneau View Post
    My paradigm. I could sue this board right now for harassment and condonance OF the same. You people lighten up. I don't angry. I save evidence. I'm in Indiana.
    "Your honour? Yes, that's right, I want to sue the INTERNET"

Last edited by Maledict; September 28th, 2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: (Brevity being the soul of wit)
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    This thread is clearly upsetting you. Perhaps you should just, you know,
    ignore it. There's a whole lot of forum outside the lounge where we can be
    serious. Nobody is forcing either you or our new doctor friend to post here.
    I am almost always upset about something. I do not want to stay quiet while my most beloved art forum is turned into another GFX, another eatpoo, another <insert any one of countless art forums that have closed because of these shenannigans and nepotism> I am calling bullshit. This happens outside of the lounge too. The lounge is just the worst part. Do you not know how bad this makes a forum look? Do you not know how many talented young artists will leave and never come back because there is valid competition to Conceptart.org? I am embarassed to be seen on CA because of this. Manley has already said two years ago the forums are not financially solvent. Do you think a forum of retarded flaming and trolling is worth all of the money pumped into CA?

Why would the board leadership want to foster this kind of turdfest? Does it make people better artists? Does it bring in money? Does it do ANYTHING useful?

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes. I have five years on you here VK, I have actually seen young artists literally grow up on CA and become amazing artists loyal to CA because. Before about 2 years ago it fostered the spirit of brotherhood and artistic camraderie. Now we get threads like this:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ir-in-charcoal

WTF

I cannot understand what is going on. Are the moderators not getting the directional support they need? Do they need a break? Do they need incentives? Are we all just too bitter and jaded to care about anything but some old guy we can poke fun at in some random AOL-esque D-U-M-B debate?

I have been staring at this problem for two years now. literally two years. Just watching and trying to figure out how the crowd that is CA is moving. Because it is not just one person and I don't mean to pick on you VK as I like your art very much.

My theory is that the board leaders, the people that started the boards initially and made it great have sort of vacated their seats having other obligations to fill and no one has filled those shoes properly. We need regular threads like "Android's Self Portrait a Day" and we need to see a quashing of unproductive, and frankly lame dialogue. If you don't have anything to say don't say it! I think it's time people started taking more responsibility for Conceptart.org. To make a commitment that if you respond to a thread you are going to enrich the world in some way, and by doing that you will ensure the stability of Conceptart.org for a long time.

Last edited by Izi; September 28th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    Yes. I have five years on you here VK, I have actually seen young artists literally grow up on CA and become amazing artists loyal to CA because. Before about 2 years ago it fostered the spirit of brotherhood and artistic camraderie. Now we get threads like this:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ir-in-charcoal

WTF

I cannot understand what is going on. Are the moderators not getting the directional support they need? Do they need a break? Do they need incentives? Are we all just too bitter and jaded to care about anything but some old guy we can poke fun at in some random AOL-esque D-U-M-B debate?

I have been staring at this problem for two years now. literally two years. Just watching and trying to figure out how the crowd that is CA is moving. Because it is not just one person and I don't mean to pick on you VK as I like your art very much.

My theory is that the board leaders, the people that started the boards initially and made it great have sort of vacated their seats having other obligations to fill and no one has filled those shoes properly. We need regular threads like "Android's Self Portrait a Day" and we need to see a quashing of unproductive, and frankly lame dialogue. If you don't have anything to say don't say it! I think it's time people started taking more responsibility for Conceptart.org. To maske a commitment that if you respond to a thread you are going to enrich the world in some way.
    The thread you linked essentially illustrates the principle we're trying to make. Granted, the advice given to the OP was lacking - but we're not a school that spoonfeeds people. Knowledge and education is better earned, not given/fed. If the posters in that thread just outright attacked the OP (Which they didn't), you'd have a point. But they dropped terms and links that the OP could use to Google and link jump through him/herself. Blackspot was also called on her error, and what is most important, she admitted she was wrong. Our esteemed A.PhD Doctor, however, has not, and still refuses to.

Oh, and if we're going by seniority: I have 2 months on you.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admire and respect you Iz, but on this one, we differ.
    CA is my internet home, lots of these people have become friends and we're all trying to impress and one-up eachother in friendly competition. Its turbocharged our learning and connected us accros oceans. People who are my students one day are teaching me the next day. I mean that literally by the way, my TAD crew are all geniuses. We stick together. CA made this happen.
    Im not speaking for anyone else but to me, a crazy internet madhead trying to pander money out people for his whackjob schemes IS funny, and dismantling his ridiculous claims is not bullying, its an obligation.

"we need to see a quashing of unproductive, and frankly lame dialogue. If you don't have anything to say don't say it!"

No! Thats exactly wrong. Sketchbooks and crit threads are for serious stuff. Unproductive dialogue is why we're here, not a police state run along your rules. Elwell and the others are doing fine. Its not mandatory to take part.

If you dont have anything to say, say it in the Lounge.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; September 28th, 2012 at 07:03 PM.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    CA is my internet home, lots of these people have become friends and we're all trying to impress and one-up eachother in friendly competition. Its turbocharged our learning and connected us accros oceans. People who are my students one day are teaching me the next day. We stick together. CA made this happen.
    Im not speaking for anyone else but to me, a crazy internet madhead trying to pander money out people for his whackjob schemes IS funny, and dismantling his ridiculous claims is not bullying, its an obligation.

Where's that damn thanks button!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    CA is my internet home, lots of these people have become friends and we're all trying to impress and one-up eachother in friendly competition. Its turbocharged our learning and connected us accros oceans. People who are my students one day are teaching me the next day. I mean that literally by the way, my TAD crew are all geniuses. We stick together. CA made this happen.

"we need to see a quashing of unproductive, and frankly lame dialogue. If you don't have anything to say don't say it!"

No! Thats exactly wrong. Sketchbooks and crit threads are for serious stuff. Unproductive dialogue is why we're here, not a police state run along your rules. Elwell and the others are doing fine. Its not mandatory to take part.

If you dont have anything to say, say it in the Lounge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/...rbullying.aspx

You'd be surprised what a little cyberclick can bring up... sort of, slick.

http://chronic.tempathy.net/page3.php

This should allow for the largest I have of these images at the moment without re-scanning or even re-photographing them. I'll keep adding more.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...56#post3545456

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    Last I checked, this is the lounge.
    You're in the wrong forum.
    Yeah, I wish these Thanks buttons were back...you hit the nail on the head. If you want art/design discussion, go to literally anywhere else on this site.
    I don't want to be a part of an internet where people post ludicrous things and their bullshit goes unchecked.

The world isn't some rosey, beautiful place where everyone holds hands and prances through the flowers.
    Also, comparing what has happened in this thread to what regularly went on at Eatpoo is simply inaccurate. I was there before it's peak and during it's peak and I think you forget how insanely rude people got there.
    I won't deny CA.org has a clique (it absolutely does), but most of the "bullying" as you call it is ribbing at worst.

I've never posted a SINGLE thing on this forum and had people say "Your artwork fucking sucks and this is the worst I've seen in awhile. Congratulations on wearing the crown of shit for the day!" which is a direct quote that I received there back in the day.

That said, it's pretty clear this thread is toast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was there before it's peak and during it's peak and I think you forget how insanely rude people got there.
    Yes it is a progressive problem, which is my point. It continues to get worse and it's painful to watch and I am mentioning it now after a careful analysis of the forums and their ebb and flow over the past 10 years. When CA went down I had to spend a lot of time on other art sites and while some have their shit together it was painful trying to navigate their bad design (I love vbulletin) and their OCD file upload rules. (I have now 4 different folders with the same file saved in different formats)

I have noticed a particular problem in the past 2 years. I do not think romanticizing thinly veiled hostility and intolerance as some sort of brotherhood at all erases this problem.

I am not arguing about not tolerating threads like this. I think they should be shut down before they descend into forum members clearly crossing the line expressed in the rules.

Last edited by Izi; September 28th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once you have proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a crazy internet madhead trying to pander[? .... non-sequiter? Just plain pseudoliteracy?] money.... for ... whackjob schemes..., then yes, it is one's obligation to REPORT IT. On the same note, it is the person who is being defamed who has a responsibility to report or prosecute it somehow. It is his right to fight back. If you came to my house and i decided something was wrong with you and started battering you, my home or not, you would have the right to stand your grounds and duke it out with me. If i became more forceful and began to knock your head into the floor, it would be your right to grab sommething... anything and kill me if necessary to save your own life.

If my old lady quickly grabbed you with two other goons and tossed you out the doors, it would be your right to return with the cops. Not rocket science...

If I did something like that to someone, so fowl and uncalled for, I'd be expecting the LEO's to come bust up my party sooner or later.

This should allow for the largest I have of these images at the moment without re-scanning or even re-photographing them. I'll keep adding more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes it is a progressive problem, which is my point. It continues to get worse and it's painful to watch and I am mentioning it now after a careful analysis of the forums and their ebb and flow over the past 10 years. When CA went down I had to spend a lot of time on other art sites and while some have their shit together it was painful trying to navigate their bad design (I love vbulletin) and their OCD file upload rules. (I have now 4 different folders with the same file saved in different formats)

I have noticed a particular problem in the past 2 years. I do not think romanticizing thinly veiled hostility and intolerance as some sort of brotherhood at all erases this problem.

I am not arguing about not tolerating threads like this. I think they should be shut down before they descend into forum members clearly crossing the line expressed in the rules.

So humor me one second then...

As an example of something I see around here lately (not pertaining to this thread, really)
    Do you think that every time someone asks "Man...I just don't have the motivation anymore. What ever am I supposed to do to get my motivation back?" or "I am frustrated all the time! ARGH WHY CAN'T I BE BETTER?" or "insert common problem that every artists goes through at one point or another" that we should all sit in a circle, sing kumbaya, and say "It's okay man man, let it all out...we're here for you!"

Different people operate on different methods of advice. Some are understanding. Some deal in tough love.
    I think MOST of the time around here, things have a scent of the latter. People are tired of seeing the same threads over and over and over of problems that literally EVERYONE GOES THROUGH. And even then, I have to say that most people keep it together pretty good! They give the advice that anyone could expect. Maybe with some gruffness or at worst with a small chip on their shoulder, but *usually* people do not descend into insults. I know that's how I operate at least. I was there, I know what it's like. but I'm not gonna pretend like it's candyland.

I've been paying attention over the past two years as well and I can tell you that it's not just CA. It's everywhere. The new generation of internet users grow up on 4chan and Reddit. That's the kind of discourse they are used to. And in general, cliquishness aside, I think this place is still more mature than the rest. Don't like internet meme pictures used in discussion? Good luck getting away from that.

I feel your pain, but you gotta be a realist about this stuff sometimes. CA.org is not the only site people visit. And they bring back here what they get elsewhere. It's nothing new.
    Trying to play forum police and ask everyone to play nice is going to end in drama. In fact, I think it's getting close to that already.

I really, truly, think that you are taking this a lot harder than necessary. You could just simply say "Well that was kinda rude. Don't be a dick". Building this up into a "IT'S NOT LIKE IT USED TO BE!" turns it into a big old thing. And I don't agree that it's a big old thing.
    You know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Charbonneau View Post
    Once you have proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a crazy internet madhead trying to pander[? .... non-sequiter? Just plain pseudoliteracy?] money.... for ... whackjob schemes..., then yes, it is one's obligation to REPORT IT. On the same note, it is the person who is being defamed who has a responsibility to report or prosecute it somehow. It is his right to fight back. If you came to my house and i decided something was wrong with you and started battering you, my home or not, you would have the right to stand your grounds and duke it out with me. If i became more forceful and began to knock your head into the floor, it would be your right to grab sommething... anything and kill me if necessary to save your own life.

If my old lady quickly grabbed you with two other goons and tossed you out the doors, it would be your right to return with the cops. Not rocket science...

If I did something like that to someone, so fowl and uncalled for, I'd be expecting the LEO's to come bust up my party sooner or later.
    I think you may be getting confused as to whom is barging into whose home, here, hombre.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not at all, amigo. I'm making a comparison using myself as the antagonist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr Charbonneau (you can drop the bizarre Im a Real Doctor act, seriously, its insane) given the amount of column inches you devote on your website to "internet bullying" and your long and troubled time using the internet Id say you've been ejected from a lot of websites for peddling your crap. I think your playing the victim is a practiced and cynical attempt to get sympathy from well-meaning people like Izi. A trick, in other words. A scam. Much like trying to trick people into thinking you know what youre talking about vis a vis natural catastrophes that could threaten them. Oh look what a surprise, you sell a several extremely expensive and untested products that could protect them! Well I never! Your'e either a knowing scammer trying to take advantage of people, or a pathological liar, and in either case I think I've been pretty polite to you given those circumstances, dont you?

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; September 28th, 2012 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No I am freaking out now it just hit me. I don't have anywhere to go online except here and wecookart.com and I'm not going to just lay down and take it up the ass like all of you are suggesting. Do you know how HORRIBLE IT was when CA was down for two weeks. UGH I thought all those other forums were big and sparkly but NO nothing. Someone needs to start shutting threads down when they get out of control.

I am going to keep getting upset and angry at people who take a lacksaidaisical attitude towards posting on conceptart.org. It makes me really angry!

And I never said anything about Elwell for god's sakes. I really don't need him breathing down my neck!

abrahadabra

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh FFS. I did threaten to ban the guy if he was just here to be stupid and told him to post art. He delivered even if the stuff looks like he was playing with Prims on Second Life.

Now Mods are "one big conglomerate" like we're some damn Bog Mass that have one opinion.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The whole argument that is summed up in the phrase "This is the Lounge, Love it or Leave it" is wrongheaded. The poop being flung here is polluting the rest of the boards. It's like having a zombie chained up in a room in the house. Someone complains that there is a zombie in the house and it's dangerous and it smells disgusting, and the person is like "No it's my mom/brother/best friend!" and they tell you to just keep the door closed, it's not your business, and you don't have to go in the room and feed it.

Well eventually that zombie is going to get loose and chew off your motherfucking face.

abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there an argument someone is trying to win? Is there a prize?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well eventually that zombie is going to get loose and chew off your motherfucking face.
    Pfft no ways man. A single zombie chewing my face off?
    Now, if it was an army of zombies, maybe...but that's still a big if.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No I am freaking out now it just hit me. I don't have anywhere to go online except here and wecookart.com and I'm not going to just lay down and take it up the ass like all of you are suggesting. Do you know how HORRIBLE IT was when CA was down for two weeks. UGH I thought all those other forums were big and sparkly but NO nothing. Someone needs to start shutting threads down when they get out of control.

I am going to keep getting upset and angry at people who take a lacksaidaisical attitude towards posting on conceptart.org. It makes me really angry!

And I never said anything about Elwell for god's sakes. I really don't need him breathing down my neck!
    Well, I don't think anyone was suggesting that you "take it up the ass".
    I think you might be over-reacting a little, though.

But that is obviously a difference of opinion and I won't try to argue with you about it.
    I don't personally see a problem. I guess I must be part of the problem then.

If that is the case, I apologize if my attempts to be helpful over the past several years have made this place horrible to visit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "It's like having a zombie chained up in a room in the house. Someone shrilly complains that there is a zombie in the house and it's dangerous and it smells disgusting, and the person is like "No it's my mom/brother/best friend!"

The weird thing about zombie movies is there arn't more people running about going "FUCKING... SHITBALLS This is exactly like in Dawn of the fucking Dead!"
    Its like they've never heard of zombies before, and don't know about destroying the brain or anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naomi, I sincerely don't know if you're being extremely naieve, facetious, or conducting a downright brilliant meta-troll.

And your zombie analogy? It's a false one. Yes, analogies only go so far, they're not 100% translatable, but I don't see how yours translates in principle to this situation at all.

And also, we were kind enough to simply outline our valid reasons as to why the situation is unraveling this way now. Like in the thread you linked earlier (To which you ignored my response to yours completely, mind you), Black Spot admitted her error, and she learned, and all was forgiven. You're on the fast track on your way of not realizing how wrong you are, and are digging a hole for yourself. I have no patience for self delusion - we've been more than sincere in our dealings, me than the rest. You continue, and I'll get my 2nd infraction for insulting you, vis-a-vi like my first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The weird thing about zombie movies is there arn't more people running about going "FUCKING... SHITBALLS this is exactly like in Dawn of the fucking Dead!"
    Its like they've never heard of zombies before, and don't know about destroying the brain or anything.
    I never thought of that before...hectic.
    Also, apologies, I told you I was going to sleep like half an hour ago and closed the chat. It
    was not you Al, my intentions were to sleep, you have to believe me. I did not mean to dis
    you like that. I don't even know why I'm awake. I guess its the zombies.

Ok I'm going to sleep now.

For real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got done crying, and now this?? Sometimes you can be just so hurtful and you dont even know it. Youre on the couch. Yes Im serious. And no dont try any of that hanky panky- no get off! Youre in the doghouse Mister. GOOD NIGHT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    Naomi, I sincerely don't know if you're being extremely naieve, facetious, or conducting a downright brilliant meta-troll.
    Black Spot admitted her error, and she learned, and all was forgiven.
    It's entirely possible she could be referring to my reply in the thread, and if that's the case there's another problem with reading comprehension, since I was talking about the fact a lot of us aren't paid and the information may vary because of it.

It isn't an insult to anyone in that thread just stating a reality and appreciation for those who have taken the time, and understanding the frustrations of others who do volunteer their time.

Also, I'll visit the name change thread when I have a chance. Not at home right now and only a few admins have the ability. Not everyone with a "White Hat" can do it unfortunately. I haven't seen emilyg about either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "It's like having a zombie chained up in a room in the house. Someone shrilly complains that there is a zombie in the house and it's dangerous and it smells disgusting, and the person is like "No it's my mom/brother/best friend!"

The weird thing about zombie movies is there arn't more people running about going "FUCKING... SHITBALLS This is exactly like in Dawn of the fucking Dead!"
    I actually read an interview with some of the Walking Dead writers recently and they talked about how in their universe, no one has ever heard the term "zombie". That's why they call them "walkers" or whatever.
    I guess it's so they can keep the characters surprised/shocked and not comprehending what is happening.

There have definitely been a few movies where they reference a zombie movie of some time. When they do, they are usually the more satirical ones, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's interesting about it being an alternate world.
    Im a bit zombied out but some of them are fucking good movies. The 80s one in the mall is a strange quiet oddball movie that works really well I think. Im a giant fan of 70s and 80s films in that style. All silence and shoes clopping on the floors and th occiasional Lalo Shifren type noises. Dirty Harry, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, Dawn of the Dead, Day of The Dead, The Evil Dead, Assault on P13, The Thing, you know the ones. Class action.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11