game of thrones fanart

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

game of thrones fanart

Hey Im doing a picture of daenerys from game of thrones, albeit in a totally different style. I think im almost done but i just wanted to check before i put finishing lighting and stuff that everything looks correct in terms of anatomy and all that. Also does it look like daenerys? I really cant tell, im still not happy with the face but i dont know why. Maybe i've been looking at it for too long.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by aftereleven; October 27th, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it might be the eyes. I just tried it and turning my eyes so much to the side is very uncomfortable and i would turn my head already in that case. The thing is that she doesn't really need to turn her eyes so much to look at the dragon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well that puts my GoT fanart to shame! No critique from me just wanted to say it's beautiful, I love the way you've painted the fabric of her hood

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks pretty good...the dress looks great, in fact. Some parts of it are not working as well as others...her hands and the dragons, in particular, look a lot less realistic and/or well-drawn as the dress and her face. My guess is that you had photo reference for some parts (her face, the dress, and the dragons' heads) and not others (everything else). If it were me I'd try to reference everything a bit better.

The other problem here is that her skin tones are REALLY dark. It looks like she's absorbing light. If that's what you intended, fine; if not, again, find some refernence for what flesh tones look like under this kind of lighting.

As always, just my two cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the replies! Giacomo: i actually did use reference for the hand, not the dragons or the dress though - they are all made up. I did have a feeling the hands wernt quite right, could you be more specific as to what is wrong with them please? i would like to get it right. As for her dark face, im going to include fire light to brighten up the picture but only when everything is looking correct.

AmyRedd: thanks! your john snow actually looks really cool, would love to see it finished.

nofu: Ive tried messing around with the eyes but if bring them in they just dont look like they are looking at the dragon to me i dunno. i might just leave them as they are

thanks guys, really appreciate the input!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aftereleven View Post
    I did have a feeling the hands wernt quite right, could you be more specific as to what is wrong with them please? i would like to get it right.
    To be blunt, she's got a clumsy man hand with big fat sausage fingers. Not at all the hand of a fourteen (book) or seventeen (show) year old girl.
    Otherwise, nice job, although I agree that her complexion is a bit dark (and/or maybe the highlights on her face are too bright).
    Where's Rhaegal?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok gotcha i will try to reduce the size and make them more elegant. I'm hoping the darkness of her face wont look so bad when i put a firey light on it. I havent read the books so i dunno who rhaegal is, i am assuming you mean the red dragon. If so he is in the pic too, the image is actually much bigger, i'll post a full size one soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To clarify, the main problem with her flesh tones is that her dress is picking up a LOT of reflected and ambient light, and her skin is picking up NONE---and, in my opinion, the overall effect is REALLY jarring. Paintover attached below...I apologize for the violence I did to your exquisite rendering...if you squint a bit you should be able to tell what I'm getting at.

game of thrones fanart

Last edited by Giacomo; September 26th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nofu: Ive tried messing around with the eyes but if bring them in they just dont look like they are looking at the dragon to me i dunno. i might just leave them as they are

thanks guys, really appreciate the input!
    If you want her to look at the dragon try directing her pupils downwards (since she would have to look down and not just to the sides to see the dragon), and also perhaps lower her eyelids a little.

(I was also going to say something about reducing the size of her fingers a little, but it seems you're already on it so never mind that )

Just a little about the skin color (at least my two scents on it); it's not so much the darkness that had me wondering at first glance, but more the complexion. The skin tones seem a little bit too grey-brown-ish (if that makes any sense), so even if you try to brighten up areas with fire light it might not change the impression that her skin tones are too dark. I would try to bring in a paler look, heading towards more light pink skin tones (playing with light and dark shadows does not necessarily change skin complexion).

Name:  danny_paintover.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  256.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her face and hair are rendered very nicely... but the two together don't match quite right. Her face doesn't seem tall enough when I look at the distance between her eyebrows and the diadem, and it looks like the centerline for both the diadem and her hair are pointing in different directions (I trace a line with my finger and it looks like the center of the diadem, if it were extended down her forehead, would come over her eye rather than her nose).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VawnOTheDawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if it's just me, but the cranium feels really tall compared to the face.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -The eyes were better before the newer version in my opinion. The only problem I have with the older version of the eyes are how bright the highlights are; lower down the contrast a bit.

-The hands could still use some retouching, especially between the ring finger and the pinky, where the gap feels too deep.

-The jewelries on her head feels like they are floating, instead of being worn on her head, especially the 3 pearls on the top. Try lowering the contrast of the pearls farther away.

-It is true, as someone has said, that the top of the head feels too tall. Even if it is the puffiness of the hair, it would look more pleasing to decrease that puffiness.

-Try softening the edges and lowering the contrast of her right hand, the one carrying the darker dragon and egg. It felt kind of distracting to me, I don't know about anyone else.

-Is her head outside of the hood, or inside the hood? Because I can see the highlights of the hair going all the way in, but the hood looks like it is enshrouding over it.

-Try taking out the end of the tail of the white baby dragon, it feels a bit distracting. Alternatively, you can try lowering the contrast of the tail, since at the moment it has too much. This is assuming that the tail is probably not one of the important parts of the picture.

-Try warming up the her skin tones a teeny bit to contrast with the blue surrounding her (orange is complementary to blue), they look too muddy.

-The arm positioning, or the origin of the arms, of the white baby dragon is off; one is higher on the torso than the other. Plus, the farther one seems longer than the nearer one. The claw sizes are also dissimilar, with the closer claw felling smaller.

-The dark baby dragon have bad form rendering, particularly the neck; they look like flattened sausages overlapping one another. The shadows of the bones of the wings needs a softer transitioning and need to better convey the bones beneath without offering too much contrast.

-The two highlighted scales on her hip is bothering me, if the scale is curving downward, then the bottom curve should not reflect any high light, except for the line that surrounds the scale. The amount of highlight the two scales are receiving is too much. Try to give the scales some curvature, because they look paper flat right now, in other words, add depth apart from height and width. The highlights on the other scales around her waste feel too random, try to make them more uniform by remembering the form of the scales and re-applying the law of incidence and reflection, and then lowering the high light contrast as well as the position of the highlights uniformly, as the general planes recede from the light.

-The scales on the farther side of her waist has a more angular form, which I don't see in the scales on the closer side. The farthest scale on the farther side feels shorter than usual to me. Plus, where is the third scale on the farther side of the waist? It should show a bit.

-The flowing white fabric above the white baby dragon is odd in the place it is now, either try to replace it somewhere else or remove it. This is because, at first, I thought that fabric was a part of the baby white dragon, which I presume now is not.

-The scales on the girl's waist on the form shadow side are too dark, considering they are highly reflective objects, more reflective then cloth, they should contain reflected light brighter than the cloth is receiving on her back in the same form shadow.

-The rendering of the hands could use more work. The pinky of the hand holding the baby white dragon has a chicken feet effect, in that the pinky looks like a toe of a chicken feet.

-Also that blue cloud above the girl's head, what is that? Try to keep in mind a reason for every sudden value and color changes to keep an orderly composition.

Last edited by Vay; October 2nd, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Sorry I didnt reply to the latest comments! didnt think there would be anymore. Anyway thanks alot for the detailed critique I really appreciate it. Ive worked more on the full size and have tried to rework the parts that have been critiqued the most, namely the arm/hand and head. But honestly i really really just want to wrap this up now and i know its still far from perfect. Right now i just want to make sure there are no huge glaring errors in the anatomy of the girl - i really hope her face looks better now. At this stage im happy to ignore any small errors in the rest of image like the sausage neck on the green dragon etc. The only extra thing i need to do is apply lighting from the fire to the rest of the image.

Thanks guys!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arm is wrong, especially the elbow. Got a female friend that could pose for you? I'd send you a shot but I'm perhaps too old.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in what way? I had a feeling the elbow might be too pointy and exaggerated but i dunno

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's too pointy but mostly it shows you do not understand very well what is going on underneath. Study a bit of elbow anatomy.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea my anatomy knowledge is terrible, after this picture i really need to start studying basic stuff more before i start another one. I will try rework it. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the painting, and you have changed a lot of stuff for the better.
    My only comment right now is that the foreground elements do not look like they are part of the scene. The photoshop blurred piece on the right bottom looks out of place, If you're going to blur it I'd rather it be painted blurred, or smudged to be blurred, rather than use a filter. It's possible you haven't worked on this though.
    The smoke also feels like too unrealistic.
    Nice work

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jharford For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for your comments. The blurred wood thing was to try and make the pic look more 3D, i will try to tweak it. The background "smoke" is actually supposed to be clouds but i painted it before i painted the fire and unfortunately they are positioned in a way where it looks like smoke coming from the fire. I hoped it wouldnt look like smoke but i will tweak this too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I risk a comment: I think that there is something a bit off about her face. It comes from the cheeks. They are rounder than they should IMO. When you look at references you find she has rounded cheek bones but under it there is a little hollow, emptiness which make her face a little straight at this place and not round. Take a look here: http://www.fanpop.com/spots/daenerys...argaryen-photo and here: http://www.melty.fr/game-of-thrones-...72-956825.html and maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Other than that, everything looks great to me and I'll see what others paintings you've done, it's quite impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what came out after I tried to create a skeleton after your pose:
    game of thrones fanart
    Did you start out with making such a thing like a wireframe/skeleton/whatever (based on a reference)?
    This is my attempt on it, but take it with a grain of salt since I tried to make the least necessary changes as you've already rendered it and probably wont like to change everything, so I didn't even boother trying to find a reference that exactly matches your drawing.
    game of thrones fanart

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp Thing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The out-of-focus log is terrible. It's a cheap effect that's totally out of place with the rest of the piece, and does nothing but draw attention to itself. Paint it properly or get rid of it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a nice painting and it has some really amazing details. But to me it has some big problems. I'd do a quick paintover to show my point instead of writing, but I have neither Photoshop nor a tablet on my laptop. I apologize in advance for the huge amount of the text this is gonna be as I'm very bad at keeping myself short and making short sentences. This is not meant to put you off, just to help.

What strikes me most is that everything in the picture looks very disconnected, like it doesn't belong together. Simply like you've painted everything separately. All the elements (the dress, the dragons, the skin, the burning wood) looks very isolated, and I would guess it's because of the fact that it all has it's own set of colors. The dress is only white with blue shadows, for example. The flying dragon is green with green shadows. The light needs to reflect everywhere, not only the light from the fire. The dragons would reflect green on the dress, the skin would cast reflective light on the dress and so on. That kind of dress would reflect all kinds of light, especially since it's white (even if blueish white) and looks like it's made of a very silky material. Don't treat all objects separately while painting, treat them like they belong together. And avoid doing one thing at a time; it will cause this effect.

Her face is lit from somewhere between front and side, yet her hood is lit on the top. Her legs are not very shaded at all, and I'm sorry to say that that texture looks VERY pasted in. Don't just paste in texture; paint over it to make it fit in. Otherwise you'll just end up with lots of pasted in, unrelated objects.

I would remove the flying dragon. It's very dark, which makes it melt with the background; it's distracting and leads the viewer's eyes out of the picture due to facing out of the frame (when adding background element make them add to the composition and have them lead the eye); it looks pasted in and unplanned; and it's anatomy is rather horrible. The wings could never carry it. It looks like it's going to flop right out of the air and down on the ground, which breaks the mood in the picture. I'm sorry for being so blunt, but it's true.

Somebody mentioned the blurring in the foreground and I think it looks out of place due to nothing else in he whole picture being blurred; everything else is knife-sharp. This also makes it hard to find a focusing point in the picture. A good trick is to make the most important part of a picture more detailed, to lead the eye there. Her face is actually less sharp than the burning wood in front of her, which makes me look there instead. I wander from detail to detail (which are all very nice, as I said) but never quite reaching her face.

I hope this didn't put you off, It sure wasn't meant to. Again, it's a pretty picture and with a little polishing it could be even better!

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lkinnebrand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea my anatomy knowledge is terrible, after this picture i really need to start studying basic stuff more before i start another one.
    do it now, and fix the picture according to it. doing it after a piece while beeing aware of it, equals too late.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

35. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful painting, I knew it was Daenerys right off the bat, everyones points have been great and everytime I have a suggestion I read it! The one thing that honestly isnt working for me is Drogon(the one in the backI think we are getting our dragons mixed up here) he doesn't fit and the line around his lips make him look goofy.

From a fanboy standpoint a lot of the dragons colors are off, that could be your choice but here are some descriptions of the 3 dragons and a quick guide to there names so when we are referencing them you know which is which

***************CAREFUL THERE MAY BE SPOILERS TO THE SHOW AND BOOKS***************CAREFUL THERE MAY BE SPOILERS TO THE SHOW AND BOOKS***************
    ***************CAREFUL THERE MAY BE SPOILERS TO THE SHOW AND BOOKS***************CAREFUL THERE MAY BE SPOILERS TO THE SHOW AND BOOKS***************

Drogon: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Drogon
    Rhaegal: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rhaegal
    Viserion: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Viserion

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

Members who have read this thread: 2