Something majorly wrong, Need Help!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Something majorly wrong, Need Help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Something majorly wrong, Need Help!

So... A friend really wants me to finish up with this so he can use it on his website (it's a scene from his book). Anyway, I really really really want it to not suck. What the heck am I doing wrong with the composition!?! It almost feels like I should put darker striations in the rock that run parallel to the space between the climber and the dragon... but wouldn't that make a tangent?

Art was so much simpler when I was obliviously making errors everywhere. lol

Also, it's been sized down so the details are a bit grainy. The original I'm working with is pretty huge. It started as acrylic on paper (BAD IDEA) and ended up getting refined digitally.

Name:  For Jim.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  286.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a lot of good texture and detail, but the initial shapes are a little strange. Your character's anatomy and pose are more than a little bizzarre. His left arm appears to be bent in that way only so that you could include the detail of his face in the pose. His left ankle looks broken. And his right leg is contorted to the point that it looks as if it's bent inward. I think you severely need an image reference to improve his pose, because a person in the position would be falling off that rock.

The claw behind him is the oddest gesture, almost effeminate, and not very threatening despite the cool detail in the claws. I really wish you had gotten a critique for the lines and shapes before adding all that extra detail. Are you going to be able to edit this on PS?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Galehaut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a 10 minute paint over of things that you might want to consider.

The anatomy and pose of the character was the biggest issue that you would want to address. I drew it in a more natural pose but even then its a boring of a pose that doesn't really respond to the giant claw behind him.

I apologize for being brief with my explanation, its time for work!

Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NateShaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for the feedback! It okay if the dragon isn't threatening, because in the story it's actually friendly and depositing the character on a rock so she can climb up and break into a prison. I wanted to leave it a little ambiguous in the picture though.

It's totally editable in photoshop so no worries. Tons of layers and all at this point.

The pose is referenced directly from a photo, but I guess this is why it's not good to take stuff directly from photos. I'll see I can dig it up. You guys aren't the first to say it seemed weird, but I figured since it came from a real life reference it would be okay. Hearing it from more people helps me realize that yeah, stuff needs to be different. I'll reply back more later, gotta run my kids to the bus.

EDIT: found the reference pic. I ended up rotating this pic and referencing the pose, but can see now why it isn't working... this is kind of an old piece. lol
    http://static.rockbrookcamp.com/file...l_climbing.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aside from what NateShaw posted, there are a few things I think disrupt the narrative of the picture for me. I might be wrong, but the focal point is supposed to be the man? The red is so saturated that my eyes fall to the claw and float over everything else. Toning it down a bit would help the composition along with adding a splash contrasting color to the figure to help him pop out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to feralkat For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.