Sketchbook: How do I draw with these hooves...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do I draw with these hooves...

Mostly furry shit, sometimes not. my "theme" has been the spectrum between human and animal, and probably always will. I'll throw some aliens in there too from time to time because ET life has become a mild obsession of mine. Also, dinosaurs.

Once I have the means, I will be focusing on my One True Love: figurative sculpture. For now though, I'm focusing on 2D.

I'll always draw, it's just much harder for me than sculpting so I tend to get frustrated with it and take long breaks. I can sculpt until I collapse but I have a hard time spending more than an hour or two at a time on a painting. I'm trying to work on that.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SpiralHorn; October 17th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff.

Last edited by SpiralHorn; October 17th, 2012 at 10:50 PM.

Everyone else hid under your bed, so I'm in your closet.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post 2 is definitely better, I love the top two pages. Good start .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambiguity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. You have made a good start. Your animals are a lot of fun and very characterful. The hare second row down post 2 is great. he has so much personality he looks very shy nervous and cowardly is that what you were going for. Seems you have a very good handle on animal anatomy too. You have a very good eye for colour too. How long have you been drawing/painting?

Keep up the good work it will pay off i am sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ambiguity: Thanks

@ja1307: Thanks for all the kind compliments, not sure I really deserve them. With the rabbit, I was going for "shameful"... it's kind of a vent piece. I've been drawing for WAY too long considering my skill level, I've been serious about it for three years total, I think. Most of that was in art college too.

Speaking of...

I went through a pretty long period where I tried to convince myself that I didn't want to be an artist, that I wasn't cut out to be an illustrator or a concept artist (definitely not concept art material). Lately though I've been contemplating being a fine artist. I know making a living that way is a lot harder, but I think it really fits. I realized that deep down I always really want to paint for myself, and I've even been working on developing a cohesive body of work with the aim of getting into a gallery.

So far I've been painting in Photoshop because it's convenient, with no real thought to my direction or process. I currently don't have the space to break out my arcylics and really paint, but I figured I'll start painting in photoshop pretending that I'm using real paints.

So I'm using textured brushes at 100% opacity and flow, with minimal color picking to blend, and I'm working from a limited color pallet that I pulled from a Derwent Acrylics swatch sheet.

First experiment was an over all success, I think. It's the first time I've painted straight with color in ages. It's from life, about 1.5 hours. It's a toy in front of a lamp. This is a 16%, the scale that I worked on it all the way through. I have to make a concerted effort to zoom in most of the time, ha.

That second image is my color pallet, if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it, I'd appreciate it. I'm just not sure it's as well-rounded as it needs to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from my actual sketchbook.

My personal character in ball point. I've been trying to get looser and more flexible by practicing cartoony stuff. Influenced a lot by Regular Show and Adventure Time.

Some overworked mess that I drew on the plane. I was very bored :/

A couple of sketches I did the other day, trying to refine my pencil work, playing with edges using my kneaded eraser.

No refs for any of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mr hows it going. Nice to see you update again you should do so more often. These latest pencil creature designs are great you def have a good way with animals and its a strong area for you. Its too easy to look at others peoples work and think your not cut out for it. Either because you think your style does not fit or that you don’t have the right level of technical skill. Technique is just something that you work on over time. As long as you work you will get better. In terms of style I like yours its yours. You don’t have to turn out work like everyones eles to be an illustrator otherwise it would be boring. I guess maybe try and do some full illustrations with some story telling as well as single character or creature designs.

I agree with what you say about painting I guess it would be great to be able top paint for yourself one day I always think the same. You can always explore as many avenues as you want don’t have to decide on one strict path straight away. Ps painting in acrylics and oil does not really take up that much space. You can always get a table top easel to start off with and don’t need much supplies to start off with. Make sure its not that your painting in photoshop because you think its easier or more convenient. Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong painting on Photoshop but if you really feel the urge to try and use traditional paint then go for it, or its a whole area you wont be exploring and you never know how it might effect or benefit your digital painting.

So lets see some more up dates including some acrylic studies and don’t stop or give up it mat be a long road but you have to believe it to achieve it.

Members who have read this thread: 1