Fanart WIP critique

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fanart WIP critique

Hey guys! Just doing a quick fanart piece for practice, nothing serious and I know it's lame to do fan art, but I thought it would be acceptable to borrow the character design if my focus wasn't design but execution.

Just trying to make sure I had my anatomy straight, I'm struggling with her one shoulder and the arm positioning, figured it wouldn't hurt to have help. I went with a slightly high-angle feel. Hopefully you can make heads and tails of it and I haven't flubbed it too bad, it's still pretty rough and early in the process. I have a layer that's hidden with the line drawing if you need it.Name:  peach wip.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  89.2 KB

Thanks for all your help!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For stuff like this use th ebest reference you can get its too complicated to do from your head. Also gesture is really important in these kinds of studies. Lots of life drawing will help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree. You are on the right track by painting on a grey tone instead of white to help you get more accurate values, but before you try and tackle value you need to have a firm understanding of proportion. Even when you're stylizing the figure in a more cartoon-like way, you need to know what the figure looks like to begin with and THEN try and modify it. Try taking a photo of yourself in that position to get a better idea of what the pose would look like and then work with the images side-by-side.

Also, use a larger brush size when starting a painting, it'll save you time and will look a lot nicer. Pressing he [ and ] keys in Photoshop while using the brush tool will change the brush size much faster, so you don't have to stop and drag that darn slider.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree. You are on the right track by painting on a grey tone instead of white to help you get more accurate values, but before you try and tackle value you need to have a firm understanding of proportion. Even when you're stylizing the figure in a more cartoon-like way, you need to know what the figure looks like to begin with and THEN try and modify it. Try taking a photo of yourself in that position to get a better idea of what the pose would look like and then work with the images side-by-side.

Also, use a larger brush size when starting a painting, it'll save you time and will look a lot nicer. Pressing he [ and ] keys in Photoshop while using the brush tool will change the brush size much faster, so you don't have to stop and drag that darn slider.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.