Can art be just a phase?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Can art be just a phase?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can art be just a phase?

I'm sixteen years old, and since I started drawing, with 13, i want to be an artist, I feel like if I could paint forever, even knowing all the problems I will have in my country because of that profession.
    But I've been thinking, what if I change my mind? Can I lose my love by art? We are always changing our mind, right?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scientists say that there are people born artistic. If you learned to love art, chances are you won't lose that love for art. If you can enjoy the challenges of drawing and painting, chances are you won't lose that enjoyment. Take gamers for example. The only reason gamers stop playing games is because they feel that they're "too old," or that they no longer have time to play games. If you were born with artistic inclinations, I don't think it'll leave you.

SLAM OR BE JAMMED
    Sketchbook
    My Rival!!
    Tumblr artblog I'm part of

Draw, Antonio; draw, Antonio; draw and donít waste time.Ē -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes you can lose your drive to produce art. It happens every day. Your interest can be downgraded or reprioritized to make room to something else. Iknow a lot of used to be artists. They lament the fact that they are used to be's, but most of them seem to think they can't pick it back up again, so they don't even try. That doesn't mean they stop liking art, but they look at it with regret in their hearts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm right now having a bit of an artistic block myself, and feel unable to find the drive to create. Yet it the passing of a phase? NO. I want to draw, I want to create, and it feels like an emptiness that I cannot right now. I push through it as often as I can, and I hope to soon pass this block, as I only feel complete when I'm creating.

Why ever you love art, be proud. I believe everyone wants to create, everyone loves art (in one way or another), but only so many people have the drive to learn to create, and develop the ability to do so. Be proud, you are lucky, you are one of the few "blessed" with the drive.

BTW, where ARE you from? I think everywhere being an artist is a bit of a scary profession - it is a very fickle path to go down, but for us who love/ need to create, there is no other way. I don't think anywhere really has a problem free environment for artists.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's a phase only if you make it that way.

Honestly, if you only decided to start drawing as a teenager, I personally think you'd just give up on it after a while just because of that fact.

It'd be nice if you can prove me wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah,

It's pretty much hopeless!

You should shoot for a career in Civil Service-- maybe become a meter maid and issue parking tickets to scofflaws.

Then, you could go home at night an post Sonic fan art on Deviantart without having to worry about making rent.

It'll be better that way!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sure, art can be just a phase. A bigger problem, though, is that having a job as an artist is not necessarily going to be you drawing all day. Or it may be you drawing all day but not the things you want to draw. You will have to research the kinds of careers you are interested in so that you know what you are choosing.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    I'm right now having a bit of an artistic block myself, and feel unable to find the drive to create. Yet it the passing of a phase? NO. I want to draw, I want to create, and it feels like an emptiness that I cannot right now. I push through it as often as I can, and I hope to soon pass this block, as I only feel complete when I'm creating.

Why ever you love art, be proud. I believe everyone wants to create, everyone loves art (in one way or another), but only so many people have the drive to learn to create, and develop the ability to do so. Be proud, you are lucky, you are one of the few "blessed" with the drive.

BTW, where ARE you from? I think everywhere being an artist is a bit of a scary profession - it is a very fickle path to go down, but for us who love/ need to create, there is no other way. I don't think anywhere really has a problem free environment for artists.
    You mean my country? I'm from Brazil, but i'm taking money for live in other country.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    It's a phase only if you make it that way.

Honestly, if you only decided to start drawing as a teenager, I personally think you'd just give up on it after a while just because of that fact.

It'd be nice if you can prove me wrong.
    The matter here is I don't want lose the time i could be studying for an college on something tha hard that I will give up some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Yeah,

It's pretty much hopeless!

You should shoot for a career in Civil Service-- maybe become a meter maid and issue parking tickets to scofflaws.

Then, you could go home at night an post Sonic fan art on Deviantart without having to worry about making rent.

It'll be better that way!
    Sonic? I pretty much preffer furrys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexuun View Post
    Scientists say that there are people born artistic. If you learned to love art, chances are you won't lose that love for art. If you can enjoy the challenges of drawing and painting, chances are you won't lose that enjoyment. Take gamers for example. The only reason gamers stop playing games is because they feel that they're "too old," or that they no longer have time to play games. If you were born with artistic inclinations, I don't think it'll leave you.
    Thank you Nexuun

Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    Yes you can lose your drive to produce art. It happens every day. Your interest can be downgraded or reprioritized to make room to something else. Iknow a lot of used to be artists. They lament the fact that they are used to be's, but most of them seem to think they can't pick it back up again, so they don't even try. That doesn't mean they stop liking art, but they look at it with regret in their hearts.
    This is my fear. What if that happens to me, but the only thing I will have to put food on table is an art job.

Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Sure, art can be just a phase. A bigger problem, though, is that having a job as an artist is not necessarily going to be you drawing all day. Or it may be you drawing all day but not the things you want to draw. You will have to research the kinds of careers you are interested in so that you know what you are choosing.
    I see, thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    The matter here is I don't want lose the time i could be studying for an college on something tha hard that I will give up some day.
    There are many, many artists that are studying or working in a profession completely unrelated to art. No one said you can only do one thing with your life.

Oh boy, if everyone did nothing because they might change their mind five or ten years from now, nothing would ever get done.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you keeptime. Oh God, I'm feeling so dramatic now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're saying stuff like that, you're GUARANTEED to give up on it, without a doubt in my mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    If you're saying stuff like that, you're GUARANTEED to give up on it, without a doubt in my mind.
    That would be extremely painful for me. I said that because I only have one life, if i'm really going to work with art, I want to make that worth the price, I'm living the second best age of my life just painting.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't much art for 25 years and it was painful when I started again. I don't think I was ready to commit back then after a couple of knock backs. Learn to get a tough skin,

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have studying full-time at my university for the last six years, but still managed to do studies in biology with great grades as well as progressing in art. Bit I intend to become an artist and live by that when I get good enough. Nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it, if you know you want it more then anything.

Keep on drawing till you stop caring about it. It might be in a year, five years or it might never happen. Who knows? Just keep drawing till it does.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pfff, there's no way you can predict where your life will go ten years from now. Do whatever you're most interested in now, if you change your mind later then your life takes a turn in another direction, that's all. It happens all the time, it's not the end of the world.

I know plenty of people who have successfully pursued multiple careers at various points in their lives. What you choose to do when you're sixteen doesn't doom you to a life devoted to that one thing. If you have compelling reasons to change direction when you're twenty, thirty, fifty, sixty, you can do so. Goodness knows what a mess we'd all be if the decisions we made as teenagers dictated our entire lives...

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some ways I'm glad I didn't have access to internet when I was a teenager.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Phase - Seeing kick ass art here or online in general, in books, on walls, in the street or anywhere. Gives you a feeling of yeah I want to be that good! You go home and pick up a pencil and find out you are certainly not that good. Get discouraged and give up...

That's the phase for me anyway. I just like to repeat that phase. I get discouraged, I come here or go out and find art. Feel inspired again, rinse and repeat. Slowly, I think I am improving. Yes, it's a phase and I want that phase to last forever

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Kashmir, what country do you live in anyway?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a physician once. One day I had to make a choice between going further into my field or get burned out from the inside. I wanted to live, to have feelings and to respect myself. So I've abandoned clinical medicine and went into research. Now I am becoming so much needed liaison between scientists and doctors. To accomplish thisi had to learn. Laboratories scared hell out of me and I knew nothing of how science works ( as all I could do was treating diseases). I am trying to combine the best of these two worlds and see what I can do. I am also practising art and have experienced that weird panic of unknown too. The least hard thing was to begin to learn Scottish Gaelic, 'cause I've already acquired two foreign languages.
    My advice to you is simple. Do not afraid to learn how to fly. You are very, very young . You have many years ahead and still need to find your destiny. You must try yourself in different fields,experiment and study. Only then you will see, what you will want to dedicate your life to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Kashmir, what country do you live in anyway?
    Brazil.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Work and social life drew me away from art for a long time and I was depressed inside. At first I thought it was something else, but as soon as I found the drive to paint again that depression as left me. As mentioned above, if you we're born to produce art then it's inside you and if you stop painting you never feel whole. So just enjoy the ride. Paint for yourself and for no other. If people pay you then hats great also ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just enjoy it while it lasts, however long that may be! Less fear more drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Brazil.
    Well, I'm in South Africa. The rest of the world is a
    lot closer than what it used to be thanks to the net.
    Just take heart, if you want it bad enough and are willing
    to work at it, you can make a career of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me share a personal story of mine.

Years ago I once met an old lady, she was around 70 at the time. She was really into art when she was young and she drew a lot of cool looking trolls and wrote stories and such. She stopped because one day she got so burnt out because of personal issues and other things. She started drinking and spent her days over thinking her life and such. I was able to look through her sketchbooks and I asked her why she stopped drawing. I had to ask because she still seemed to have a burning passion for it because she talked about her creations as if they were her babies. She said to me that it wasn't for her anymore, that the time had passed. She told me that when the day she got burnt out she completely stopped and never picked it up again.

I met her again a few months back and she still wasn't drawing. However when I met her this time, I had my own sketchbook with me and I showed her my work and she was really loving it and I could see that she was excited. I saw her sketchbook too and saw no more pictures in it, there was a lot of blank pages left. When I left she was still excited so I told her "when we meet again I hope you've given that sketchbook some love", she promised she will but I had a sense she was just saying that.

It's just a really tragic story (and it's actually even more to it but I don't want to share her experience to the world) but it just made me think that I will never allow myself to end up in that place.

So as long as you don't give up, you will be fine. You will have really hard times when you feel like giving up and days you need to slow down a bit. Just don't completely stop and think that it's impossible to start again because when you give up on things, to me that's like killing yourself passively. Just love what you do and don't give up because we all deserve to do what makes us happy.

I know it's cheesy and stuff but it's true.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.